Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

NEED HELP REAL OR FAKE

Is this Cobb real or a fake. Any information would be a help.

Comments

• Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be a fake
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    I would say fake also.

The wear looks manufactured, not natural. The toning looks fake, too uniform. The creases also do not look authentic, as if someone crumpled it up in order to make the card look older.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Just look at the color background with a magnifying glass... if you can see a pattern of tiny print dots, it's fake.
  • Options
    And how about this Gehrig. Real or a fake
  • Options
    In the red area of the cobb under 10x power magnification I can see a zillion black little spots but not in a set pattern.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The red background should appear like it was painted with watercolors. Black dots in the red background are a bad sign. The text spelling out "Cobb, Detroit" should be solid black ink, no dots. Same deal on the Gerhig, the green print on the back should be solid letting, no print dots. If you do not know what print dots look like, use your 10x magnifier on the cover of a magazine... you will see the image is actually composed of thousands of tiny dots. If you have an ink jet printer, anything you print out will be composed of these tiny dots. In professional printing, they always had the ability to print text in solid ink. In general, most counterfeits are printed entirely composed of tiny dots (called half-tone printing) when in fact, very few, if any, cards have ever been printed entirely in half-tone.
  • Options
    The Gehrig is also definitely a fake. The color tone is really off and the artificial aging is a dead giveaway.
    And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    One last card. Is this Ruth card real or a fake. And I want to take this time to thank all of you for the help.
  • Options
    Wow I hope you didn't pay alot for them. Did you get them all from the same source?
  • Options
    Yes all from the same source but I did pay by paypal and they were discribed as real and not reprints. So I will try to get my money back from seller and if not will go through paypal as item not described as reprints. Thanks for all your help guys.