Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The card you wouldn't part with ?

Or another words if you had to give up ALL your cards but you could keep ONE

(and no "It's between this one and that one" answers)

What card of yours would that be???? (and why, if you'd like to elaborate)
For the love of the game
And the cards that go with it

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great player, great person. Class on and off the field. I just loved watching him tear up the opposing defences. I just always liked the Pro Line Live cards and this is my favorite.

Matt
  • Options
    For entirely sentimental reasons, mine would be an autographed 1987-88 OPC Kevin Dineen card. I grew up worshipping the rugged, Hartford Whalers right winger. I played right wing, wore #11 and even had a Whalers jersey that I wore to school. Being a Canadian and living in Toronto Maple Leaf country, I got a lot of strange looks. I think I was 12 or 13 when I wrote to Dineen and enclosed that card and he sent it back personalized, with another large post card personalized. I was in heaven when I got that card back. As the years have gone by, I still display that card proudly. It's a great conversation piece. I'm also one of the lucky ones to find out that my sports hero is a great guy who dedicates countless hours to charity work. I have a lot more valuable cards in my collection, but this card is by far the most important to me.
  • Options
    Frank Thomas 1993 Finest Refractor PSA 10. My favorite card of my favorite player in my favorite set.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    My 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie. It'd probably only get a PSA 7 if graded, but it was the pride of my childhood collection. I starved at school for a few months, saving up all my lunch money to get that card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>My 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie. It'd probably only get a PSA 7 if graded, but it was the pride of my childhood collection. I starved at school for a few months, saving up all my lunch money to get that card. >>

Well appearently it was worth the starvation, would did it cost you back then besides a little weight?

Matt
  • Options
    1967 Topps Stand-up Die Cut Yastrzemski. It defines me, it completes me. image
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    my visa card - so i could buy my other cards back image
  • Options
    My 1980 WBTV Cal Ripken Minor league card that I traded a 74 Ryan and Brien Taylor RC cards for...
  • Options

<< <i> Brien Taylor RC >>

Matt
  • Options
    that's what makes it even better....Brien Taylor...wow, what an idiot...
  • Options
    imageimage
    For the love of the game
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I have a 48 bowman Berra that i bought from a great old, pipe smoking guy at the antique shop up the road when i was 10.....paid $20 for it, got about $50 worth of ass whoopin when I got home when the 'ol man found out I paid 20 bucks for a piece of cardboard.........years later he admittedly rethought his position on the matter !

Also have the first 84 topps Mattingly I pulled out of a pack...probably a PSA 5 now, but priceless to me nevertheless.

---
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1968 Venezuelan Nolan Ryan PSA 5. I don't think I will ever find a higher graded one.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i><< My 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie. It'd probably only get a PSA 7 if graded, but it was the pride of my childhood collection. I starved at school for a few months, saving up all my lunch money to get that card. >>

Well appearently it was worth the starvation, would did it cost you back then besides a little weight?

Matt >>

$200. It was in 1990, coming right off of that Super Bowl trouncing of the Broncos. $200 to a 14 year old kid is a tall order, especially since I only got $3 each week for mowing the lawn. My folks thought that if I got job as a teen, I'd end up dropping out of school and become a bum. image

Starving wasn't too bad. One of my buddies saw my noble endeavor and would bring an extra bag of chips for me to eat sometimes. image

Sigh. It's a 7 at best. Today, I could pick up 2 really nice 8s for that money.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

The card I should have gotten back in '91.

(Omani Desert - me during field training exercise, appox. 2 months before D.Shield became D.Storm)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave this some thought...

I don't have one.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Very tough question. Probably my '67 Carew as I bought it back in the early 80's for $30 and Carew was my main guy I collected back then. Was my biggest purchase on a single card... at least at that time. I paid for a "mint" Carew rookie. I bought it in Baseball Hobby News or one of those!? It graded a 6 years later! Oh well.
  • Options
    Without a thought, I wouldn't sell my psa 9 86 fleer jordan. When i was 15 or so, i traded a scumbag dealer my jordan rc and a dr j rc for a box of 91 leaf....not 90 leaf, 91 FREAKIN Leaf! Needless to say I regretted it almost immediately....and painfully regretted it a couple years later when i realized i basically gave my cards away. Fortunately my senior year of college we made the final four.....I scalped my extra tickets and made about $6k. Besides being the best weekend of my life and experiencing UConn's first ever MBB nat'l championship, I was able to come home and buy my very first PSA graded card...MJ found his way back home in a PSA 9 holder. Unfortunately it was right before the card peaked and it cost me $1800, either way it was worth every penny.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options

<< <i>I gave this some thought...

I don't have one.

mike >>

C'mon Mike there must be one card that's REALLY special to you
    For the love of the game
  • Options
    Brian48, just wanted to give a word of thanks for your service to the country....image
  • Options

<< <i>Brian48, just wanted to give a word of thanks for your service to the country....image >>

I'll second that sandmanfromlv and raise you a "GO SOX" to go with it !!!! image

(You must be HAPPY that Theo's back Brian, I know I am !!!)

Norm
    For the love of the game
  • Options

<< <i>Brian48, just wanted to give a word of thanks for your service to the country....image >>

I also echo those sentiments.

BTW, as the elder statesman here, I probably am the only one to have the dubious distinction to have served both in Desert Storm and Vietnam.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I gave this some thought...

I don't have one.

mike >>

C'mon Mike there must be one card that's REALLY special to you >>

Honestly TC
    Not really.

Wish I did. I have cards that I picked up that have appreciated but not one that I have that "special" attachment to.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    my "Get out of Jail Free" card from the wifepiece. i only can get 1 a month, and that usually requires some form of listening or 2-way communication...

that being said, very cool to have, especially when she starts harshing my mellow.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the one card that I would never part with would be my 1973 Topps Pin-Ups Johnny Bench psa 8. A very hard to find test issue. I could never replace it. For one thing PSA no longer grades these anymore.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    1986 Topps Walter Payton that I had personally autographed at a card show in 1991. Payton was my idol and I had still not gotten over his retirement. He arrived at the signing wearing black leather pants! LOL. But, he still looked like he could have played. That was the only time I ever met Sweetness.

There was another guy signing autographs that day. A rookie with the White Sox, Frank Thomas. I got his autograph, too. But, I've seen Frank in Las Vegas and at the ballpark, so his autograph, while nice, doesn't hold quite the same sentimental value as Payton's.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I am a collector almost 50 years and my interests are basically confined to pre mid 60s stuff however the card I could never part with would be a 1985 topps Roger Clemens that belonged to my late son.Roger was his hero growing up.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys,........and Stone - Semper Fi, Man.
  • Options
    1957 Topps #1 Ted Williams
    There are so many family memories and baseball related connections involving that card and that year in my life. I could write a book about all the things, important to me, that card relates to.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    My 1976 Topps Rod Carew, PSA 10. It was the first card that I personally sent in for grading and one of my all-time favorites.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    I will be buried with my PSA 8 1954 Topps Gordie HOWE ! Best set ever!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Pete Rose Rookie Card in PSA 10!

I don't own one, but if I did, I'd never part with it! image rbd
  • Options
    1887 Allen & Ginter N28 King Kelly
    About 15 years ago I first saw this card at a Gloria Rothstein show and fell in love with it, but never thought I would be able to own it. About a year ago, it became mine.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to say the card I would keep would be my 1966 Topps Mantle. It was the first vintage card I bought. I remember my mother giving me $300.00 to go buy school clothes at the mall. Well there was a card show going on at the mall, and I fell in love with this card when I saw it. Needless to say my mother was quite pi$$ed at me when I came home with a pair of jeans and 2 T-shirts and a 66' Mantle. I can still hear that old italian temper...., " oh.. nice Bobby... Well I hope that card fits you because your wearing THAT to school!!" Oh, the things we do when were young.................wait...........I still do that. image
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be buried with my PSA 8 1954 Topps Gordie HOWE ! Best set ever! >>

You scooped me poppie!
  • Options

<< <i>I will be buried with my PSA 8 1954 Topps Gordie HOWE ! Best set ever! >>

Well......I can see Vincent Price, and Peter Lorrie creeping through a fog shrouded cemetery, and an increase in grave robbing developing sometime in the future.
  • Options
    My 1986 Jerry Rice. I have had this card since I was 14, and it remained in perfect condition after all these years. He is my favorite player of all sports and has to be a top 5 candidate.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    '74 Lou Brock my father got signed for me at Busch Stadium.
    I was too shy to ask myself - being 7 and all... Also got Mike Tyson, Joe Torre and Ted Simmons autos too.

Not worth a lot, but Dad died 4 years later...