Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How reliable are Authenticators - Here's a GAI example

Just a quick glance and even a blind person can tell this is fake...so how in the world does this happen?!? Especially from a "reputable" Grading company that collectors TRUST - GAI isn't the only ones as I hear storys/read other examples of PSA and BGS as well. I'm not complaining THAT the Brunell auto is fake, but rather how this bogus auto got through GAI's authenticating process. And since it's slabbed the trusting collector WILL BE and WAS scammed.

Here's the original ebay auction Fake Brunell Auto Authenticated by GAI Read the sellers description of:*GAI PUTS A WHOLE NEW SPIN ON COLLECTING AUTOGRAPHS
Global Authentication provides unique solutions to dealers, collectors and corporations by integrating state of the art consumer protection technology and world class grading/authentication experts to Sports, Historical and Hollywood memorabilia. GAI is headed by the former founders of PSA/DNA.

"Autographs will sell for a premium with a GAI Certification."

*Slabbed - Encapsulated in a plastic holder by a professional grading company.

That is one funny statement...yeah sounds more like "will authenticate anything for $"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike some athletes that alter their autographs, Brunell don't alter his signature very much regardless of in person/TTM or for a card company.

Here are examples of genuine autos - really hasn't changed much over the years
Auto from 1993:
Auto form 1997:
Auto from 2005:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out GAI's own site:GAI's Authenticating Process
This six step process employs a blend of proprietary state-of-the-art
authentication technologies and esthetics.

Physical Analyses

Each item undergoes the following scrutiny:

Side-By-Side Comparisons - REALLY?!?

Ink/Medium Analysis

Autograph Structure - REALLY?!?

Object Evaluation

Clearly this card DIDN'T go though these test...Ummm...bottom line if this got by the team of "EXPERTS" then I'm staying away from GAI.

Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION

Comments

• Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I suggest sticking to the TRAINED and CERTIFIED forensic document experts at PSA/DNA. I've heard A LOT of bad things about those jokers "across the street." The most bizarre is GAI once graded a rubber stamped Mcgwire card as "authentic." How on earth is that even remotely possible?!?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    I have heard more about GAI rejecting good autos then i have about them slabbing fake ones.
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Apparently you missed the HBO Special where fake autographs were submitted to several different companies and Global was the only one to get everything right.

But I digress, internet chatter is much more credible than a journalistic investigation on tv.

Stay Classy,

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    The auto looks good to me. The only THREE to get everything right on the HBO special were PSA/DNA, GAI, and Richard Simon. I would stand by Simon more than anyone else because he is a one man operation. No one really knows who grades your PSA or GAI autos when they come back as "authentic"......
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I own quite a few Mark Brunell items. Most I had autographed in person while he was playing for the Jaguars...And his signature is nearly identical on every piece I own ranging from 1995-2001. THAT is not a Brunell auto, PERIOD..Brunell is a lefty and you can tell by the slant in his sig...That fake is one of the most obvious you'll ever see...

I'm guessing GAI just slabbed this card without even comparing the sig to any authentic Brunell pieces.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough topic.

I pretty much trust the GAI, PSA and now removed Spence.

When the day is done, it's still just an opinion but what's the alternative?

mike
    Mike