Home Metal Detecting

Oriental Whatzit (just one item from my "mystery junque" drawer)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this for discussion on the World Coin Forum, though it's obviously not a coin. I figured some of those skilled in Asian languages might help decipher the squigglies.

This bronze disc was found in an old churchyard in Swannanoa, North Carolina. The church was established in 1794, though the original building is long gone. The first church on the site was almost certainly a log structure. 1794 was only a few years after the first white settler in the area came to that region of Western NC, and he was killed by the Indians.

I personally would be surprised if this item is older than the 19th century, but it's now been suggested by some that it is much, much older than that. It's an interesting mystery. Perhaps I need to pull out some more of my mystery finds and photograph them. One little tubular brass piece I dug long ago and threw in the drawer later turned out to be a ramrod guide from a Revolutionary War era Brown Bess musket, so you never know, I guess...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• do you think it might say..............made in china....................image
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a bronze mirror. Some asian lady way back when had it all polished up and carried it around in her little purse image
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    It definitely has a high coolness factor, whatever it is! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I hope its not "Vietnam Era". Haha

It could also be an old scale flat plate used to weigh powdered or other small items upon. Perhaps the writing states how much the plate weighs for taring purposes. Just a thought...
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Wow I didnt read the posts on the other forum thread. That would be sweet if it is as old as they are saying!!!

LM, what is the oldest thing you have found metal detecting? (man-made so the teeth and things like that dont count image )
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never considered it to be a mirror. It's funny how many theories have been put forward in that other thread. The mirror idea would make sense, but as I recall, the back side is kinda rough for that- plain, but a little rough- not polished.

I frankly do not believe it is from the 1400s or 1500s, no matter what the characters say. More likely it is an 1800s or 1920s replica of a Ming Dynasty whatever. It IS old, there is no doubt of that. But I cannot imagine it being older than the 19th century.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send a picture to.whatsitworth2you.com...and for $9.00 they will tell you what
    it is.
    Al
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    what city was this coin or what ever it is found in?

gene2393
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swannanoa, NC, just east of Asheville. In the mountains.

It isn't a coin. Just what it is I still don't know, but there have been some interesting theories in that other thread.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two words = Antiques Roadshow
  • gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    i think you should check into the history of the area you found the "mystery item" it might be a good way to find out this objects true origin.
  • It says "Wong Way Do Not Enter" image
    That thing musta really made your detector go crazy.
    JJ