Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

before you all get google eyed---

I figured out waverly82 on ebay. He buys sets as EX/MT TO NM and flips them as NM/MT to MINT with a few nm++ to make his auctions look legit.
I have bought from him in the past as the quality of his scan is pretty good. But he is most definintely a full grade over each and every card. I will take in consideration that several were borderline.
But please take the time to look at the scans before buying. His 71 set which he just bought a couple of weeks ago have some insane bids going on his auction stuff already.
Amazingly the high numbers from this set actually look pretty dam good. Just don't expect a MINT card when you win.

The set he won two weeks ago

Comments

• Options
    that's a dirty trick, but one that a lot of people use.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

First off, the Ryan is a diifferent card.

Waverly's selling is on the left, the one from the set he bought on the right. Key on the top to bottom centering.

imageimage

As far as buying a set and splitting it up to sell it for more, more power to him. As far as buying raw off eBay, BUYER BEWARE! I hate buying raw off eBay as 9 out of 10 times you will think the card is overgraded. I don't sell raw on eBay, but I am going to have to soon. I think that listing the card and showing a big scan and not stating a grade may be the best way.

There are dealers out there who will not claim a card is better then NM. I think that may be the best policy, but it is tough to flame a guy for buying a set and selling it raw. Especially when one of the top cards is a different card.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    The Mays is different too.

edited to add: So is the Aaron.

I don't dispute whether or not he over grades his raw cards, but as far as the set you point out that he bought and is selling the same set as self graded higher, you are wrong. The key cards are all different cards. Also his scans are much better than the scans of that set, which shows the centering and print marks to be different on all the key cards the set showed.

I honestly have nothing for this seller, I don't know nor have ever dealt with him. But if you are going to show someone flipping(which is not unethical) and over grading(which is bad business but not necessarily unethical) make sure he is selling the same cards that he bought.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Assuming waverly has a job and a life, there's probably a big time gap between when he buys a set and when he breaks it on ebay. You'd probably have to look further back to find the source of whatever he's listing now.
  • Options
    WTF is this about?

1971 tOpPs NoLaN rYaN mEtS #513 PrEMiUm MINT sEt bReAk!

it kinda reminds me of the serial killer who cuts letters out of magazines - each is a different size, case...
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I wasn't talking about a specific card--just that i have been following his buys and then amazingly they all jump a full grade--He may have bought more than one 1971 Topps set. He just broke one up two months ago on ebay. Maybe the people who originally won them, sent them back to him for a refund. The ones that were graded , he could just flip those. I don't believe Eric would crack them out.
    My comment was he tends to fully over grade each card and some were borderline. Just be aware. That's all.
  • Options
    AGAIN, THIS FORUM MEMBER RUNNING HIS MOUTH FROM BEHIND THE KEYBOARD. Wrongful accusations damage reputations. Facts about the different cards in the sacns are brought to his attention. Does Carew recant? NOPE. This guy is NG>

There is no Santa Claus in the card business. You buy raw and risk will always be there.

SOMETHING USEFUL FROM THIS POST:
    My way to buy a raw set......ask for 5 random card scans. When I sell sets , I tell buyers to pick 5 random cards. This gives a better indication of the overall set grade.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread gives all set sellers a bad reputation. I am getting ready to list 1970 through 1975 Topps sets on Ebay here in the next couple of weeks. Not many set sellers (if any) do this, but I grade EVERY card. In the description, I break down every grade (so many NM-MT or better, so many NM, so many EXMT, etc). I do not grade MINT (therefore, the "or better"). Then, I take 20 or 30 of the key cards and give their grade. I try to give the grade like PSA will do it. If a card is borderline (especially a star), I downgrade it. On sets 1976 or newer, I give the grades of the key cards, and then give an average grade. But never on a vintage set. I feel it is worth the time to grade every card.

Now, obviously, just like everyone else, PSA and I sometimes disagree. I actually own cards where I think PSA overgraded a card, and I own cards where I think PSA undergraded a card. Anytime you have different graders, you have different opinions. But I try my best to grade a set correctly. By the way, with over 1400 feedback (with several vintage sets involved over the past 4 or 5 years) I have never had a disagreement over a grade. That includes a 1953 Topps complete set where the guy emailed me saying that he was pleasantly suprised that I had actually "undergraded" the set. He was very pleased.

Just to say that not every raw vintage seller is that way.

Shane

• Options

Cuse--I did my homework. I guess you can't read, so i will type this reeeeeaaalll slllloooowwww for you. 1) I did not accuse anyone of anything. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize someone flipping products for a profit. I actually have bids on his 71 topps cards that are on ebay currently. I have bought 40 to 50 cards from Eric in the past. His service has always been fine. So maybe i have multiple personalities since you claim i acccuse him, yet i bid on his cards...No i don't, yes i do,no i don't, yes i do, both of you shut up!!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm down a little bit Rodney Cline! That's just the way that it looked to me. I really wasn't accusing you personally of anything. I have just seen posts like this before making raw sellers look bad. They ain't all bad. That's all I was saying.

Shane

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    waverly82 has had over 30,000 positive feedbacks on ebay, with only 3 negative feedbacks! wow!

he has averaged about 1,000 positive feedbacks per month for the past 12 months, without even a single negative feedback!

now for a seller thats maybe "selling raw sliders"? ...well I don't buy that story!

waverly's "break-up" of the '71 set he purchased will produce some profit, it seems.

...as he seems to be selling over 750 singles from the '71 series, and I think many listings may be from that earlier set?

it looks like (a good guess by the "end of bidding") that maybe more than half his listings may sell, based on bidding, waverly82 should easily "re-coup" his investment from the "break", maybe make a little profit, and supply the "hobby" with some nice inexpensive (750+ raw '71's!) "condition sensitive" material.

maybe he will pick-up another 700+ positive feedbacks from this "break-up" too????

the time and effort this seller puts into "our hobby", just to list all those cards, and offer all of us, for example, those nice, clear scans of a "condition sensitive" series, such as '71 Topps baseball, in my opinion, this guy deserves a "gold star" for his passions, efforts, and no doubt love for our hobby! I don't know this "seller from adam", but I see no reason at all to be critical with waverly82,

...but maybe I'm still missing something here?

edit: he seems to start most of his auctions at 99 cents with no reserve, ...star card or a common, doesn't matter!

rbd
  • Options
    1) In your words 'to make his auctions look legit"..That must be a compliment. Right??? Are his auctions legit??

2) You clearly say the seller overgrades. True or not, you said it. Take it up with the seller. Don't cry over $1 raw cards.

3) You imply he bought the cards as EX/Mt and is selling those same cards as NM - MT. The scans clearly show these are different cards. Again, throw mud and hide behind the keyboard.

Was that SLOW and CLEAR enough for you???????

got a Carew Rookie?????

You throw these bombs at people and run. Why don't you email the seller??? Because your a spineless ##########.
    I've proven that 2X in two weeks!!!

THIS GUY PLAYED THIS BS WITH ME TOO!!! HE IS A BUSY BODY. NG!!!
  • Options
    Is Carew29 using multiple identities on Ebay???? Ethical????????? Don't know, but carew29 on Ebay has 0 bids on 1971 Topps baseball cards. Further, this buyer hasn't bought a card in loooooooooooooooong time.

Is this you???????
  • Options
    Can't let it die.........
    what's your ebay name......bidder???
  • Options

Thanks for showing your ignorance---Carew29 is my name here @ PSA
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is my ebay name you arsswipe---carewfan4life--and my only ebay name
  • Options

It is better to be thought a fool than to opens one's mouth and remove all doubt--Cuse--please go cry on another board. This will be my last response to you on any forum.
  • Options
    I merely asked your identity.........So I can block your $1 bids. Got a Carew rookie???
    ################ wipe

See what happens when one jumps to conclusions. Think about it before you bad mouth the next guy.
  • Options

$1 bids??? WHERE-TF are you coming from?? I just lost two auctions this week topping out over $300. What are you? like 16? using mom's computer?
  • Options
    Losing bids = kissing your sister. How much did those bids cost you??

Don't like being on the other end of an attack??

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THREATENED LEGALLY for potentially slanderous comments on a forum????HMMMM

Did I type that slooooooooooow enough for you????
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I figured out waverly82 on ebay. He buys sets as EX/MT TO NM and flips them as NM/MT to MINT with a few nm++ to make his auctions look legit.

Sounds a tad harsh IMO

BTW how many cards does PSA grade per minute?

anyone know the answer?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW how many cards does PSA grade per minute?

anyone know the answer?

Steve >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    Harsh?????? It was brought to my attention that someone with a similar carew handle (MARK ?) may have gone through this with someone else. Ring a bell Carew????

If this is the same mudslinger he should know better by now.

Further, a baord ADM. should ask him a question or two.

If your wrong about an issue.............. recant. A big person would. He never showed the class to do the same.

Should we repo your Carew rookie???? does he have one???? HMMMMMMMM
  • Options

There was a thread awhile back on the 1,000,000 cards graded by PSA in 7 months time. If you break down the 8 hours per day(working days) by how many graders you can get an estimate on how may they grade per hour/minute...