Home Sports Talk

Fran Dunphy wins 300th game

tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
Probably only of interest to Big 5 basketball fans, but Fran won his 300th game coaching the Penn Quakers tonight with a 73-65 victory over Lasalle.

If you don't know the Big 5, I suggest you take in a game at the Palestra.

Comments

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you don't know the Big 5, I suggest you take in a game at the Palestra. >>

Agreed.

I've been there only twice and it is an incredible experience. As a Temple grad the Big 5 games
    are extra special to watch. Congrats to Fran Dunphy!

aconte
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you don't know the Big 5, I suggest you take in a game at the Palestra. >>

Agreed.

I've been there only twice and it is an incredible experience. As a Temple grad the Big 5 games
    are extra special to watch. Congrats to Fran Dunphy!

aconte >>

This Saturday at the Penn-St.Joe's game will be a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Big 5. The top 50 players will be honored.

For those that may not know, the Big 5 is an annual round robin set of basketball games between Lasalle, Penn, St. Joe's, Temple, and Villanova. In this day of big money in college basketball, it is hard to believe that this collection of schools is willing to give up 4 games in their schedule to play each other. Each school has a great basketball history, with each one having reached the final four and two winning the NCAA title.

• << <i>For those that may not know, the Big 5 is an annual round robin set of basketball games between Lasalle, Penn, St. Joe's, Temple, and Villanova. In this day of big money in college basketball, it is hard to believe that this collection of schools is willing to give up 4 games in their schedule to play each other. Each school has a great basketball history, with each one having reached the final four and two winning the NCAA title. >>

I know 'Nova won in '85, who won the other title?
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    LaSalle University won the NCAA tournament in 1954. They were led by Tom Gola.

You can see his stats from that season below. He averaged 23.0 pts and 21.7 rebounds a game.

Player G FG FGA Pct FT FTA Pct REB Avg PF PTS Avg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gola, T 30 252 619 0.407 186 254 0.732 652 21.7 96 690 23.0