Home Metal Detecting
Options

******MONTHLY AWARD POLL ANNOUNCEMENT******

Greetings everyone!

The first time I ever clicked on this forum almost two years ago, there may have been 10 messages on the board. Upon reading each one I would check back whenever I logged on to the forums. Two weeks later you could still see the same 10 threads except there was a cobweb on the upper corner of the screen and a tumbleweed or two would blow by. Since the advent of the "Forum Awards" and "Virtual Treasure Hunt I & II" (Both the brainchilds of Lordmarcovan) the participation here has increased greatly. We now have a number of members outside the US that have been sharing their astounding finds with us.

After talking with LM we feel the need to split the Best Coin/Token catagory into the "Best US Coin/Token" and "Best Foreign Coin/Token"
The Foreign catagory will be a bit sparse at first, but hopefully overseas and foreign participation will increase. Also many of the US MD'ist find a number of foreign coins on US soil.

The change will take effect this month (January) and I will separate the current entries in Lordmarcovans thread. The "Febuary Entry Thread" will have the new catagories listed.

HH

GR
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me. I look forward to participating again in the competition after my hiatus. A great thanks to all involved in the special events of the MD forum with a special thank you for LordMarcovan as he has taken the bull by the horns in trying to unite and organize this forum, quite successfully I might add.

On a side note; This weekend will be the first time I take out Frankenstein II and rejoin the ranks of the dirt diggers image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Now we New World folk won't have to compete with people who dig multiple Celtic gold staters.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>(Now we New World folk won't have to compete with people who dig multiple Celtic gold staters.) image >>

I figured this is the exact reason for doing it... lol.
  • Options
    I was against it at first, not wanting to clutter up the awards with too many categories, but I suppose the time has come.

I am truly glad to see a more international flavor to this forum, though- it's far more interesting. Without Dino's UK digs and Zot's travelogues, for example, this would be a duller place indeed. Thanks to everyone for enriching our humble little MD Forum. As John said, many of us can remember when this forum was a sleepy little backwater and nothing much was ever posted.

Besides, splitting off the Coin/Token awards into World and US categories is also fairer to those US detectorists in the central and western parts of the country who might not find as much colonial-era world coinage like we do on the East Coast.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Which brings us to a point, John- there's a grey area.

Take, for example, the Wood's Hibernia Coinage struck for Ireland in the 1720's, but which also circulated in the American Colonies. There are a number of examples of such coins that are technically non-US coins, but which are listed in the Red Book of US Coins.

Perhaps the US category should only include coins struck after the establishment of the US Mint in 1792?

Or better yet, maybe anything struck after the Declaration of Independence in 1776. This would include Fugio cents, Continental dollars, and state coppers like the Connecticut and New Jersey coinage, etc. under the US category- but not the Massachusetts Pine Tree issues of the 1600's and so on, since the colonies were a part of the British Empire then.

• Options

<< <i>Which brings us to a point, John- there's a grey area.

Take, for example, the Wood's Hibernia Coinage struck for Ireland in the 1720's, but which also circulated in the American Colonies. There are a number of examples of such coins that are technically non-US coins, but which are listed in the Red Book of US Coins.

Perhaps the US category should only include coins struck after the establishment of the US Mint in 1792?

Or better yet, maybe anything struck after the Declaration of Independence in 1776. This would include Fugio cents, Continental dollars, and state coppers like the Connecticut and New Jersey coinage, etc. under the US category- but not the Massachusetts Pine Tree issues of the 1600's and so on, since the colonies were a part of the British Empire then. >>

imageimageimageimage

Uhhmm. How about .....you decide which way to go. Then when one of those coins pops up in the entry thread in the future, I'll send a PM your way and you can give an official ruling on it.

imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    OK, then anything struck in what is now the USA in 1776 or later would be a US Coin for the purposes of the detecting awards.

Anything prior to that date, even if it was struck in America, would be considered a world coin. So all pre-1776 colonials go into the world coin category.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me.

Funnily enough, while splitting the entries makes it easier to win awards, it actually feels like it's becoming more difficult by creating "direct competition" with the UK guys!! image
    I won't have any chance this month, but I'll get them one of these days!! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Cool.. Hope my whinning wasn't the overriding factor. I think you need to make it coins found in the US and coins found in Europe. Forgien coinage was the primary circulating coinage until the mid 1800's in the US.
  • Options
    I'd have it separated by where it was dug.
    Just my 2 cents... I'll be fine with LM and GR's final decision no matter what
    the outcome.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, then anything struck in what is now the USA in 1776 or later would be a US Coin for the purposes of the detecting awards.

Anything prior to that date, even if it was struck in America, would be considered a world coin. So all pre-1776 colonials go into the world coin category. >>

I Have a different suggestion. Why not make the cutoff date the 1st year that the U.S. mint issued coins, which would start with the 1792 disme....or mAybe 1787 Fugio cents)with the frist coins issued by authority of the U.S. There are a number of coins issued prior to that that wer used in the U.S. past 1776 that were issued by various govt. authorities. I guess for the most part they were U.S. entities, however Kentuck tokens were struck in England in 1792...just a thoughy..not sure if that complicates it more or less....image
  • Options
    1792 or 1776, either way. If we make it 1792, then there's the question about what to make of the Fugios and the CT and NJ coppers and stuff like that. They are non foreign coins, since they were struck in the USA after the Revolution was won.

Best to just go with 1776 for simplicity's sake, I think. That way the Fugios and Continentals and state issues are included with the US coins where they belong.

Now, if we can only FIND some stuff like that! I'm ready!

• Options
    Hey LM,
    Here's a thought:

Let's say Phut pulls a 1775, 2 reale, from here in the U.S., and then...
    A forum member is detecting over in Spain and he pulls a 1750, 2 reale
    (or how about a 1650, 2 reale?)

Do you think that would be fair to place Phut's coin in the same "bucket"
    and compete with the guy that found the coin in Europe? Yes? No?

Not trying to be difficult. Just trying to help think this through...

I would think that it would be much more incredible to find that reale here
    in the U.S. and the examples above would be in different "leagues."
  • Options
    I dont live anywhere near where I would find fugio's or continental coins or for that matter very early american coins,, I will be limited to the 19th century for those, but I do live in an area where my chances of finding very old spanish coins as far back as the late 14th century exists.

Here is my question where would coins like this be listed?

I think it should only be seperated by continent regardless of the date !!

I will work within whatever rules are made,, and enjoy every minute of it ,, Hope you guys dont mind me interjecting an opinion ,, I know Im still and under 200 newbie here .

Just my un centavo !!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!