Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Got my 1827 AU55

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
It arrived today! Beautiful coin. Not as golden yellow as the photo shows. I figured this because the holder was toned also.
In hand it's just a beautiful light tone on rev and obv. Detail is great.

Wish I could show a good pic, but don't have the equipement for that.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimeman, I'm assuming that with all of the additions that you've made over the last 90 days or so that you are on a serious mission with your dimes. I know that you are working on your "Date" set. Are you working towards completing an entire run of dimes with all varieties from 1796-date?

Dimes for me hold alot of interest, but the date sets that PCGS has put together does not. When I watch a movie I want to see a movie thats not edited for TV, not cut for time and not formatted to fit my TV. I believe that these "Date" sets do just that. They fail to show the entire historical run of that denomination that one loves to collect.

Until PCGS adds the entire 1796-date set, I would rather just sit on the sidelines. Having said that, it is almost entirely impossible w/o the $$$ to assemble an etire series of dimes. A few examples stick out: 1894-S, 1873-CC "no arrows", 1829 Curl base 2, and entire run of Fullbands from 1916-date if so desired and so on...

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paul,

I see you have a taste for completness. I've been there too. I have had at one time all of the dimes from 1796 thru the Mercury's encluding all mintmarks and most var. I even had most of the Bust coins by JR # encluding the 1829 curl base 2. One of my favorites was the 1873 double sheild that was the plate coin for Greers book. I collected Seated and Barber dimes by date position. A lot of the years I had more than 20 or 30 coins for. Like the 1908-D, the mint really created some var. there. I've had them all. My Merc set was number # in 2002 and 2004. But do to personal problems I have had to sell off most of those coins, but not all. My Merc set is gone and now I am doing the date set in high grade. I am still doing the Seated and Barber by date and mint. The silver Roosies complete and the rest of the Roosies by date. I don't really care for the Roosies, but want to have a P-mint dime from every year from 1796 to present. You can look at my sets and see that I am still a complete collector at heart, but just don't have the $$$ for everything again right now.

Thanks, Jon
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul and Jon,

Jon that set is really shaping up nicely. Congrats

Paul don't let Jon fool you he has been on a major shopping spree. I have been working on a complete set of dimes for about 3 1/2 years now. I had started the set before PCGS decided to do the date run. The progression for me has been slow, I have two children in college right now. Just wait a couple more years.

Paul, How are the Roosevelts coming along. I have not seen much movement in them latety!!! I am still a Roosey fan forever!!!!

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    why are the 1825 large size bust dimes so underrated???
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Paul and Jon,

Jon that set is really shaping up nicely. Congrats

Paul don't let Jon fool you he has been on a major shopping spree. I have been working on a complete set of dimes for about 3 1/2 years now. I had started the set before PCGS decided to do the date run. The progression for me has been slow, I have two children in college right now. Just wait a couple more years.

Paul, How are the Roosevelts coming along. I have not seen much movement in them latety!!! I am still a Roosey fan forever!!!! >>

Fred, here is a complete list of my last 60+ days of Dime acquisitions:

No submissions

All of these are Dimes:
    1905-O PCGS Micro-O G06
    1978-S PCGS PR70DCAM
    1982-S PCGS PR69DCAM from the Eric Kreuter Collection
    2003-S PCGS PR70DCAM Silver
    2005-P PCGS MS69FB/SF Added 0.04 to my circ set!

So as you can see nothing really impressive, but I like them!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.