Home Sports Talk
Options

Mr. 81

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
Note that there was a song in the 1960's called "The 81" - I imagine this will probably become Mr. 81's new theme song.

Bryant gets a new nickname

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
January 24, 2006

AP - Jan 24, 5:53 pm EST
More Photos

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant practiced Tuesday for the first time since his astonishing performance against the Toronto Raptors, and was tagged with a new nickname.

"Just calling me 81," he said of his teammates.

Perhaps that should be Mr. 81.

Bryant said the reality of reaching that point total Sunday night in the Los Angeles Lakers' 122-104 victory over the Raptors still hadn't sunk in, and made it clear he didn't expect a repeat performance any time soon.

"It's just one of those things that doesn't seem real to me," he said. "It's just tough for it to sink in. I'm focused on the task that lies ahead for us.

"The way I'm playing of late, I don't think it's an indication of how we're going to be playing the rest of the season. We had a stretch earlier this season where I didn't have to score the ball like that for us to win. I look forward to going back to that."

Lakers coach Phil Jackson expressed a similar sentiment, saying: "A team has to have some sense of balance."

Nevertheless, Jackson said he had no problem whatsoever with Bryant dominating the action the way he did against the Raptors, when he shot 28-of-46, including 7-of-13 from 3-point range, and 18-of-20 from the foul line.

"If you were there at the game, I think everybody understands how we won," Jackson said. "He got into a rhythm -- it was just a landslide."

Bryant scored 55 points in the second half as the Lakers (22-19) outscored the Raptors 73-41, turning a 14-point halftime deficit into an 18-point victory.

Bryant has averaged 44.5 points in 10 games this month in leading the Lakers to a 7-3 record. He is averaging an NBA-best 35.9 points this season.

Wilt Chamberlain holds the league's single-game scoring record, getting 100 points for Philadelphia against the New York Knicks at Hershey, Pa., on March 2, 1962.

Bryant became the second player in history to surpass the 80-point plateau and the fifth to reach 70, joining Chamberlain, David Thompson, Elgin Baylor and David Robinson.

Coincidentally, the 27-year-old Lakers' star scored a season-low 11 points in a 102-91 triumph over the Raptors on Dec. 7 in Toronto.

The Lakers return to action Friday night, entertaining Golden State before beginning a seven-game road trip Sunday in Detroit.

Bryant said the Hall of Fame had called and asked for the shoes he wore in Sunday night's game.

When asked if he would comply, Bryant seemed stunned, replying: "The Hall of Fame? You serious? They're so gone."

Comments

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    It's incrementally better than "Black Mamba". However, not by much.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    NBA looks to make more $$

<< <i>The league isn't passing on a chance to cash in on Bryant's feat. The NBA will feature a special-edition Bryant T-shirt and jersey to celebrate his 81-point performance.

A white Lakers jersey with "81" on the front and "Kobe" on the back will be available today at the league's store in New York and online. >>

I just checked the NBA store and it's not up as of yet.

Cha-Ching!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insert the name Kobe wherever applicable. If Kobe does it...he will insert his name as much as possible - LOL

The 81 by: Candy & The Kisses
    Old List: Thom Bell/Kenny Gamble
    Lyrics by: Thom Bell / Kenny Gamble

There's a new dance going around
    They call the 81 (81)
    Everybody's doing it whether
    They are old or young (old or young)

Because they're tired
    Of doing the monkey (monkey)
    Tired of doing the swim
    So if you want to have some fun
    Come on and dance, dance, dance

(CHORUS)
    Do the 81 (do the 81)
    Cause it's so fine (it's so fine)
    In a big boss line (in a big boss line)
    Do it one more time (do it one more time)

My momma said she's gonna buy herself
    Some dancing shoes (dancing shoes)
    And all you need is to feel the beat
    Get with the groove (with the groove)

Well, it's better
    Than the cha cha (cha cha)
    Better than the swim
    Everybody come join in
    And dance, dance, dance

(CHORUS)

I know you're tired of
    Doing the monkey (monkey)
    Tired of doing the swim
    So come along and join the fun
    And dance, dance, dance

(CHORUS) 2X

Cause it's so fine (do the 81)
    In a big boss line
    (In a big boss line)

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Whatever this very detailed stuff is about - yeah - he scored 81. The previous nationally televised game was lost because he did not get any touches down the stretch and OT. Jackson gave his meal ticket a big stroke by allowing him to be "the offense" in this game. One man does not make a team.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...