Home U.S. Coin Forum

MS70 ASE why do people pay $100 to $300 for them?

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
maybe its me...but I think its just bad for the coin business when I see people paying from $100 to $300 for certified silver eagles graded MS70? Your thoughts.....
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    to each his own I say....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Human nature. People buy into the hype.
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    No matter what the cause or the effect to the hobby it's playing russion roulette with good money until somebody can solve the milk spotting problem on slabbed SAE's.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Human nature I guess, people think that they are getting in on the ground floor of a rare coin. In my opinion, SAE's are nothing more than silver bullion and I doubt that they will ever get more than silver bullion for them. Slabbed or not.

Thats my take on it anyway
    Every man is a self made man.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought about playing that game, but I passed because I figure my now 21 coin set fits my needs and desires.....

Also I figure I can get better coins for the money of 69/70 graded eagles.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Why? Spending $500 USD on a bottle of wine that won't last the night isn't too big of a deal, it's just money.

~g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think its just bad for the coin business when I see people paying from $100 to $300 for certified silver eagles graded MS70? >>

In that price range, you're obviously not referring to PCGS graded examples.

Russ, NCNE
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    It's all about competition. The registry has created some monsters and if you want to compete you have to have a few 70's. I have gotten a couple of proof 70's by luck but for looks I cannot tell the difference from the naked eye. I needed a 10x loop to find the pin point that kept some of my 69's from 70's.

Just not worth it if you are not into the competition thing.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this past weekend a person needed cash and tried to sell a bunch of them at $140 each....gee no dealers would buy them.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASE's are only worth that much when they are "First Strike" designated.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry nuts...

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    flaminio,

You need a picture of the bulbs.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file