Home Metal Detecting
Options

Weird result with electrolysis

I have been experimenting with the electrolysis method as some friends posted here.

I got excellent results with some Austrian 2 Hellers coins. These are made of Iron.

I also tried with a 10 Pf coin from Germany, year 1900 (I don't know the material of the coin as my KM starts at 1901, maybe someone can help). The coin was practically unrecognizable due the verdigris, it was completely covered with it.
After 10 mins. of electrolysis the verdigris gone, but the coin turned on a pink color and rough to the tact. But it looks like there is something on the surface of the coin (not like the coin was corroded).

What could be happened ? What should I do now ? Did I something wrong ?
My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/

Comments

• Options
    Hi goossen.

Did you change the soda/water solution when you changed coin types? This can cause discoloration to coins. Example: If you clean a number of copper coins and then clean a silver coin in the same solution it will turn the silver coin orangish pink.

<< <i>After 10 mins. of electrolysis the verdigris gone, but the coin turned on a pink color and rough to the tact. But it looks like there is something on the surface of the coin (not like the coin was corroded). >>

It sounds like you may have over-cooked that one. I've cleaned some nasty coins but never had to go 10 minutes to clean them. Don't be afraid to stop and check every 30 to 60 seconds to see the progression of the cleaning. If it was just simply verdigris it would likely have cleaned up in seconds.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭

<< <i>Did you change the soda/water solution when you changed coin types? This can cause discoloration to coins. Example: If you clean a number of copper coins and then clean a silver coin in the same solution it will turn the silver coin orangish pink. >>

Yes, I change the solution before each coin.

<< <i>It sounds like you may have over-cooked that one. I've cleaned some nasty coins but never had to go 10 minutes to clean them. Don't be afraid to stop and check every 30 to 60 seconds to see the progression of the cleaning. If it was just simply verdigris it would likely have cleaned up in seconds. >>

That is what I was afraid of... What can I do now ?
  • Options

<< <i>That is what I was afraid of... What can I do now ? >>

Unfortunately nothing. Consider it a learning experiance. One that has been learned by all that use this cleaning process.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Try reversing the polarity..that might well fix it...
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Try reversing the polarity..that might well fix it... >>

Kinda like a time machine?
  • Options
    Sounds like dezincification, if it was a bronze coin you may have forced out all the zinc leaving you with a pink pure copper coin. The damage would be permanent.
  • Options
    The coin doesn't look like bronze, but as i told before, i don't know of which material is made.

I think I'll try the time machine method... it looks like I have nothing to loose.
  • Options
    Try something called Mr Metal found at the local Lowes or other hardware store !! I used it on a damaged piece & it helped ! It is like a silver polish but for different metals !! You may have to use twice, and use a soft cloth to wipe the coin ! I used a gun polishing cloth but a worn out T-shirt works well too !!

Mart
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like dezincification, if it was a bronze coin you may have forced out all the zinc leaving you with a pink pure copper coin. The damage would be permanent. >>

So can we conclude that a bronze coin can't be put under electrolysis ?

Which metals can be safely electrolyzed ?