Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How rare is "rare" for the 1990 No-S Lincoln?

How rare is "rare" for the No-S Lincoln?

Were they actually sent out in proof sets from the mint? Where they a special issue?

I Google'd it, but couldnt really find out the history behind this coin.

thanks
Michelle

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RARE!!!!!

But heritage has a couple of "lower end" ones in their inventory.
    Doug
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a page devoted to the 1990 no S cent in the Wexler & Flynn book. In the discussion it mentions that the mint estimated that 3700 pieces were produced and 145 were found at the mint and destroyed. Later it mentions that 250 are known (as of 1996) and were found in regular and Prestige proof sets.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    It's just a matter of minutes before "Steve" chimes in...he knows quite a bit about the 1990 No "S"...
  • Options

What, no "Steve" yet? It's just a matter of time.

Edited to add: Or you could just search the posts under his name as Steve and 90 No-S will yield the same results.

Jack

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

I say there are no more than 100 sets.Give or take 20 sets

Stewart
  • Options
    where are (were) the sets found? What I guess I mean is, for example the 1979 Type 2 sets can still be found, like when you buy unopened boxes of 1979 proof sets in original packaging.. like on eBay.

Was the 1990 no-s a similar case?

Michelle
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will keep poping up over the years as 1990 proof sets now stored away and never even looked at come to light.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Gee wiz guys. I just got back from a vacation today so it's a good thing Michelle didn't post this thread last week!

Seriously, the 1990 no S Lincoln proof cent is rare as Stewart says. I'm guessing about 200 exist, about the same as the other rare Lincoln proof cent, the 1909VDB Matte proof. The difference between the two , in my opinion, is that some of the inventory of the 1990 no S is in the hands of dealers while very, very few of the existing inventory of the 1909VDB Matte proof is in the hands of dealers. Once the remaining 1990 no S gets into the hands of strong Lincoln cent collectors it will be just as hard to find as the 1909VDB. The beauty of this coin is that it is a true DCAM with a very obvious error visable with the naked eye. (the missing S) Since there are hundreds of thousands of dedicated Lincoln cent collectors out there, both of these coins can only be owned by a very small percentage of collectors.

Michelle and Bob,
    In my opinion, the difference between a 1979 type 2 proof set or ANY other proof set and the 1990 proof set with the potential no S error is MONEY. That is, the 1990 no S has established a value in the THOUSANDS. Other varieties within proof sets are much less valuable. After 15+ years, most dealers have already checked out 1990 proof sets for this coin. I do not believe there are more than a few collectors who bought 1990 proof sets who did NOT check to see what the coins looked like even if they never heard of this error.

Steveimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    sTEVE

SINCE THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DEDICATED LINCOLN CENT COLLECTORS OUT THERE

Really !!!!

Stewart
  • Options
    200 is not rare. Show up at auctions regularily. image
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>200 is not rare. Show up at auctions regularily. image >>

Lloyd,
    What is rare? Everyone has his own definition and I believe the hobby has a formula too: from unique, to rare, to scarce, to common. Rare to me is VERY hard to find, and I will admit under that definition, the 1990 no S is currently not rare. Dealers have them for sale now and that's why you can see them advertised and auctioned. The 1909VDB Matte proof IS rare by my definition because dealers just don't have them for sale. Probably most of those coins trade by private treaty between collectors and Stewart and others could comment on that. Rare is probably a perception based on the collector base also. These Lincolns have a LARGE collector base. Another "rare" coin in another denomination and series that had a mintage of 50 but very very few collectors interested might be considered rare technically, but if no one wants to buy the coin, its value will be low.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare the 1990-No-S to a few "Other" No-S coins such as the 1975-No-S Roosevelt of which there about 5, and the 1968-No-S of which there are about the same amt.

NGC and PCGS have graded a total of (0) 1975-No-S Roosies to date. You can't even buy one for less then 35-40K. Plus I've never even heard of one for sale. Now thats rare!

The 1990 is rare because of the amount of Lincoln collectors that want one.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.