Home Metal Detecting

woot my first silver ( x2 )

Since getting my first metal detector for Christmas. I finally found my first silver, oh and that bottle cap probably isnt that interesting to anyone but it doesnt look that modern. I'll take whatever suggestions you guys have for removing the rest of the junk on the coins as soap and water and acetone have had their chance. I would try vinegar but doesnt that remove some silver too?

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double silver! imageimage

Just try a little toothpaste- rub n' rinse. They'll look like shiny, cleaned coins afterwards (and they will be), but that's no numismatic sin with dug stuff, and they'll retone over time. If you have crud on silver that's too tough for toothpaste, pour a little baking soda in your hand, add a few drops of water to make a paste, and rub the coins with that, then rinse.

Electrolysis is also a good way to clean silver, and it isn't abrasive like the low-tech methods I just mentioned. Refer to goldrush's recent thread.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Goldrush's electrolysis thread. There is a link within the thread to a whole page with instructions on making an electrolysis rig.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    what about vinegar, is that a no-no?
    Never tried it. I doubt it could hurt the silver much, anymore than lemon juice would. (It's mildly acidic). Worst case scenario, it might turn the coin a funky color, but then you could just clean it with something else.

My guess would be that vinegar wouldn't do a whole lot one way or the other- it wouldn't hurt the coin but probably wouldn't help it much either. (Maybe a little bit). It's worth a try if you want to.

• Gotta love the silver! Congrats on the finds.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage