Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sheesh!...ya just never know!

About a year ago I put this coin and several other buff nicks on eBay to sell.. I have accumulated quite a few over the years and was trying to clean up some of the mess.....Anyway, the coins sold, but were returned because the buyer was not satisfied. I had a full return policy, which I do on all of my sales, but the other day I was going through the mess I call "the stuff found over the years", and came across it again.. Well, this time I decided to sell it alone and look at the results so far....with 2 days still left for bidding!

1913 S Ty2 Buffalo Nickel

I AM not posting here to sell..I just want you guys to know that you just NEVER know what some of this stuff will sell for.....

Comments

• Options
    Very nice Steve,
    I love to hear about this hobby contributing back... hope the winner this time is happy
    and you get to keep the winnings.

Couple quick questions:
    I know the whole "don't clean coins thing" but why wouldn't you want to use the pecan
    shell tumbling method you mentioned on a nickel like that? I thought Rob had mentioned
    it wouldn't be too bad image

Or, would even a pro be able to "conserve" a dug nickel? - thanks for the insight... I know
    you guys have been at this for awhile and know all the pro's / con's and have the experiences
    to back things up... The reason I ask is because I dug a semi-key buff: 1917 - S and am
    just curious if I should "gently" clean it or leave it alone. Figure I know the answer since you
    didn't clean it but I was hoping to find out why you didn't.

Also, you been out lately? I still like going to your web site and seeing those cool finds
    you've made over the years.

HH, Rick image
  • Options
    Hey Rick,

The pecan tumbling thing works pretty well...given a long period of time, and this nickel was done that way. It was in absolutely horrible shape out of the ground. I also used a mild vinegar and salt bath to get the color lighter. I do NOT recommend cleaning a coin that has any value though! This was one of those where I didn't care if I sold it or not. On your buffalo, I would soak it for a period of time in "Goo Gone", to get rid of the dirt and debris...But keep an eye on it for unnatural color change. Then a light bath in vinegar and salt, just enough salt to taste.....But be careful for the color change (light pink), once it does, there is no going back.

Good luck! I have not been lately, I hurt my back in a ladder accident....fell off a 12 ft extension ladder and ruptured a disk in my lower back...but I am on the mend and ready to go...maybe today for that matter...LM and I were going the other day, when he found his silver dime, but I missed him......

• Options
    Good luck on your auction. I remember back when you sold all of them together the first time--If I'm not mistaken, it went to about $65 or so. Maybe this one will reach that point by itself. You have two or three bidder's on there who have bid multiple times. Maybe they get into a bidding war and it goes thru the roofimage
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that IS the key date...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Steve, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. Right now it's just
    sitting in a 2x2 in my detecting binder.

Sorry to hear about your back. I had a "ladder incident" a couple years ago and I can still
    feel it. Hope you're back out there soon so we can see more of those awesome finds...

HH, Rick
  • Options

Wow, I hope everything goes well with your transaction!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    WOW! is right!.....Pretty good for a nickel from the ground!...... It closed at over$122.00