Home Metal Detecting

Went out today for the first time in quite a while...

...I FINALLY got my Tesoro back from the manufacturer for some maintenance, and had about 30 minutes of daylight to kill so I first drove to an OLD house that has just been leveled. The guy I talked to told me that I should ask his father for permission and gave me his dads phone #... but I am a #@$^ing idiot because I didn't have a pen and forgot it by the time I got home. The next place I hit was another old church in the general vicinity of my house. In just about 15 minutes of hunting I managed to dig an 1882 Idian Head, a 1919 Wheatie, and an '82 clad quarter. I will post pictures once I get the pennies cleaned..

...which brings me to my next question... can ya help me LM?
The indian head has the potential to be the best looking one I have ever dug. I've tried using the hot peroxide trick and it looks great when I just take it out of the peroxide, but once it dries I cannot see anything on the face of it. So now it is sitting in a wedge of potato. Wasn't it you LM who condones the "potato trick" for dirty pennies? I cannot remember where I heard that one. I hope it does the trick!

Anyways, once I get 'em lookin' good I wll let you see my first 3 finds of '06. Gonna be a good year I can feel it already!

Take Care!
Ryan

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan- it's good to see you back.

I was the one who posted The Tater Trick, way back when.

Using peroxide is one I hadn't heard of. Hm.

If your IHC is clean and looks good until it dries, just rub it with a little Vaseline and wipe the excess off.

The Tater Trick is really for crusty stuff, so if your coin has already been cleaned of loose dirt and verdigris, you may not see much in the way of results from that method.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.