Home Metal Detecting
Options

I did it, I finally did it.

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
I know its just a starter unit, but I live near a very old town....started in the 1770's Smithville NJ So anyway, I bought a bounty hunter IV model.....it was in the budget and the kids want to give it a go too, so its off we go soon.

any advice would be cool

thanks

tom

Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Tom, congrats on the purchase. I'd say make sure you read and re-read
    the manual. Plus, you'll want to go out and dig as many targets as possible
    in order to learn the sounds of your machine... depending on the machine and
    the time you put into it, those lessons could take weeks or even months.
    (but you'll start finding things right off the bat)

Other suggestions:
    > determine what you'd like to find and work the sites that will most likely
    produce those items (clad = modern parks, old coins = old parks and other old
    sites, jewelry = play areas or swimming holes, etc.)
    > do some homework and study the history of your area
    > join a metal detecting club (lots of fun to see what others are finding and
    should give you opportunities to learn more about the hobby)

Lot to cover when you're first starting... be patient and ask lots of questions!

Happy hunting, and let us know how you do...

Rick image
  • Options
    Congrat's on the new machine!!First make sure you read the manuel good,then go out and run it in your yard and liston to the sound's.
    Make sure to have a rag to put any dirt on when digging a plug and fill your hole's back in.Plus take all your trash out and try the older park's in town.Good luck and HH,Tom
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I am starting to read more tips and hints from various sites. This forum is cool and I cant wait to show off my finds.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the "Dirty Knees" family! May your first finds be intriguing enough to get you hooked! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.