Home Metal Detecting
Options

rock tumbler for cleaning coins

I got a rock tumbler for Christmas and hadn't tried it out until today. As Dockwalliper said put in some sand and add some dishsoap and run for about 2 hours. I couldn't believe the results. It looks great. It cleans it up almost to the point of looking better than your pocket change. I've got a job to do on the stuff I found for the last 10 years.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too got one for Christmas and so far have only tried crushed pecan shells, and tumbled stuff in them dry. The results weren't spectacular. I will try sand soon- I have done it before with good results on some crusty uncleaned Roman coins I bought on eBay. I didn't use dish soap- that's a good idea.

Instead of the pecan shells for a gentler polishing medium, I am thinking of trying sawdust.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'm gonna get me one of those as soon as I get back to the states. Just about a month now before we get on that plane!!!!!

Were ready(but I will miss the detecting over here in the UK, that's for sure)
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Lots of people use fish tank gravel. Its a bit easier to seperate when your done.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to get some gravel. The only thing that I had today was sand. I just finished to tanks of pennies. It is totally amazing how they clean up. Even the ones that have been eaten up in the ground look pretty good. That is one Christmas gift that was worth it.
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how the ground up corn cob they sell for small animal cages would work for polishing?
    imageimage