Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you think the NFL and the media would prefer that ..............

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
.............. teams other than the Seahawks, Panthers, Steelers and Broncos were playing this weekend?

My guess is that with the exception of the Steelers (who have glorious past with multiple Super Bowl wins and a somewhat nationwide following), the answer is a resounding yes.

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the network would want Pittsburgh v Seattle so that they can get both coasts. The definitely want the Steelers over Denver.
    Mike
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    They have to like Pitt with the Jerome Bettis 'possible final game' story they can beat into the ground for 3 1/2 hours. I definately think the high profile teams of the past are missing. These are all teams that didn't garner a lot of national attention during the year, and I would bet that the networks are doing some scurring to find some decent storylines to go help compliment the low profile teams.
    Travis
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The playoffs and super bowl draw HUGE numbers regardless of who's in it.

This year will be no different.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The playoffs and super bowl draw HUGE numbers regardless of who's in it.

This year will be no different. >>

that doesn't mean they wouldnt like to have bigger market teams playing..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    As the host city, you can kind of sense that the Detroit area was hoping that Indy or New England would make it.

It was near 50 degrees around here today. Anytime anyone mentions the nice weather, the reply is "oh, just wait until the super bowl weekend . . . expect about minus 12 and a foot of snow."
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

NFL fans are going to watch no matter who is playing.
    Casual fans want to see competitive games and the Conference Championships this weekend figure to be just that.

Same with the Super Bowl. You're either a Super Bowl watcher or you're not.
    What the Network wants is to keep people watching till the end of the game and it's starting to look like it might be a close game too.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The playoffs and super bowl draw HUGE numbers regardless of who's in it.

This year will be no different. >>

that doesn't mean they wouldnt like to have bigger market teams playing.. >>

The NFL, unlike the NBA and MLB, doesn't have to pray a 'big' team makes the championship to draw big ratings, as they promote a lot of teams all year.

MLB, for example, overhypes the boston/yankee rivalry to death, leaving little to no support for teams outside this small segment of the country...and they wonder why the numbers for the world series *stinks* when neither are in it?

MLB could learn a lot from the NFL (salary cap, true revenue sharing, promotion of more than 2 teams) if it wants to become america's pasttime again.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am a Steelers fan for the next few weeks - hopefully. As an ND fan and seeing Bettis play there, I would love to see him get a ring.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards