Home Metal Detecting
Options

More decent finds from old western town.

Well we had a break in the weather a couple of weeks ago and we went back out to the old gohst town. Took our string and started the grid search. My friend found the Half Dollar last month but the Nickel was the find of the day. I found another seated dime which was "BENT" image but dated 1890 though. I also found a 1872 Shield Nickel. Well at least half of it. Someone back in the day cut it in half. image

I'll get a picture of that put on here later......

The weather has been kinda bad but we continue to find old maps of the area dating back to 1880's that show the old stage stations and towns that no longer exist. So far the one we have been working has been nice to us so far......

Half
Nickel

Comments

• Options
    Very nice find's Bolle,that half look's to have done a little fighting with something.Look forward to seeing what else you guy's find from that site.HH,Tom
  • Options
    NICE!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Shield nickel might look rough but most of the ones I have seen found around here were worse. I have only dug one- an 1873- and it looks kind of like that one you posted, albeit a bit darker.

Seated Lib coins, even bent, are fun to find. My first Seated half dime was bent nearly double. I thought it was the toungue of an old pulltab at first, since it had read in the pulltab range and was surprisingly shallow. I was later able to straighten it by tapping it with a hammer between some pieces of wood. I imagine I took a risk of breaking it in half when I tried to straighten it from such an extreme bend, but it came out OK. Certainly coins with less bend to them can be straightened.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice finds you have there!!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage