Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A 1958 with a decent strike! Best I've seen!

Hi Everyone

I realize that I may be sharing this with a very small crowd. Especially those who regard the strike of a coin as the most important factor in building a high quality coin collection.
Here is a 1958 Jefferson nickel that sports a very uncommon strong strike! The strike is not quite full when compared to the early dates of the 1940's. Nontheless, there is room for improvement on the coin pictured below. There are numerous marks on this coin with only a few notable on the lower shoulder, in the hair, by the eye and upper forehead. The reverse is much nicer with a nick on the pillar and a long thin mark in the upper field. The steps are very nice for this date with full separation and risers.
Overall, the strong details in the strike, the MS64FS grade and the strong steps including some nice luster and light gold toning makes this coin very unique in terms of rarity!

A larger picture of the coin including the reverse can be seen in my profile.

Happy hunting, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    Nice coin!

Personally I value luster a wee bit more than strike. I have a very bright lusterous 58-p. It's the only one I've ever seen like that. A mark on the reverse keeps it from ms66. If anyone can find me a bright well struck ms66 58-p I'll pay like $1000 for it!
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking Jeff. I just started collecting the MS Jeffs. I've nearly gone blind looking for FS. It has been interesting learning a new series with the grading and the varieties. I can better appreciate your 1958 now that I have focused on the series.

Nice coin. image
    Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin!

Personally I value luster a wee bit more than strike. I have a very bright lusterous 58-p. It's the only one I've ever seen like that. A mark on the reverse keeps it from ms66. If anyone can find me a bright well struck ms66 58-p I'll pay like $1000 for it! >>

I sold a 65 about a year ago as it wasn't a better coin than my ANACS 64 coin. The strike was less than full.
    I did keep a few coins from the GQ collection that I bought. I still have the MS65 60-D and 62-D and the MS66 1962 which is nicest of the 3. All are brilliant and lustrous with the 62 as having the best strike! The other two have less than full strikes with the 62-D having a slightly flat cheek.
    Is your MS65 1958 fully struck or how does it compare to my coin in this thread?

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Nice looking Jeff. I just started collecting the MS Jeffs. I've nearly gone blind looking for FS. It has been interesting learning a new series with the grading and the varieties. I can better appreciate your 1958 now that I have focused on the series.

Nice coin. image
    Badger >>

For a quick remedy for searching out full steps on a Jefferson nickel. Don't check the steps unless the obverse has a decent strike and grades MS64 and higher. For the common dates, MS66 and higher! If you don't, one eye will get more exercise than the other and you may end up running into some problems with that. lol
    Also, I have quite a few nickels that I sell but I rarely certify them for other collections. Unless they've been upgraded from my main collection, they might be certified.

And speaking of varieties! The pictured 1958 has some struck up area by the #8 that resembles part of another 8. I realize that it's not but it's interesting.

Leo

• Options
    It's nicely struck but not as sharp as yours. If it didn't have the mark on the rev I would consider it a close call for ms66 due to strike. Actually, the way pcgs is right now (heavily favoring strike) I doubt it'd grade ms66 even without the mark. It was a pcgs ms65 that I cracked out. I'm no longer going to crack out my nickels though as I'm planning to buy some rarer ones. (Anyone got any ms66fs P's 74-83 for sale?). I have a 62-d that is not quite sharp enough for ms66, and I have a raw 63-d I still think should grade ms66 (very sharp, lusterous, no marks) but am not going to try pcgs with it anytime soon.
  • Options

<< <i>It's nicely struck but not as sharp as yours. If it didn't have the mark on the rev I would consider it a close call for ms66 due to strike. Actually, the way pcgs is right now (heavily favoring strike) I doubt it'd grade ms66 even without the mark. It was a pcgs ms65 that I cracked out. I'm no longer going to crack out my nickels though as I'm planning to buy some rarer ones. (Anyone got any ms66fs P's 74-83 for sale?). I have a 62-d that is not quite sharp enough for ms66, and I have a raw 63-d I still think should grade ms66 (very sharp, lusterous, no marks) but am not going to try pcgs with it anytime soon. >>

When PCGS started grading full step Jeffersons, I don't believe they had sufficient knowledge at that time to accurately grade these coins. About half of the Jeffs in their holders are overgraded due to the strike problems and marks in the focal areas. Zoom ahead 3+ years and they have improved. If they are factoring in the strike for coins grading higher than MS64, I for one, welcome the move!
    You might find yourself waiting indefinitely for PCGS to loosen up their grades.

Edited to add; everything PCGS graded prior to the last two years should be disqualified. Collectors need to have their coins sent in for review and substantiated with today's standards.

Leo

• Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin Leo! I'm constantly on the the lookout for a nicely struck 58-P, so far no luck. image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin Leo! I'm constantly on the the lookout for a nicely struck 58-P, so far no luck. image >>

It took me 15 years before that coin came along. But like I said, improvement could be made on the strike when compared to this very rare EDS 1960.
    A larger picture of the coin including the reverse can be seen in my profile, including an EDS 1961-D.

Leo