Home Sports Talk
Options

Lions introduce Marinelli as new coach

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think it's a bit of a stretch going from being a defensive line coach to being a head coach. But since it hurts the Buccaneers, this has to be a good thing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lions introduce Marinelli as new coach; he says he doesn't plan to worry about the past

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

About the new coach

Last job: Buccaneers assistant head coach / defensive line coach
NFL experience: 10 years, all with the Buccaneers Family: Wife, Barbara, two daughters, Chris and Gina, two granddaughters and two grandsons.

What others are saying

Bucs Loss Is Lions Gain: You win some, you lose some. Only a few days after the Bucs found out that Defensive Coordinator Monte Kiffin wouldnt be interviewing for the open St. Louis Rams head coaching position, the Bucs lost Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Line coach Rod Marinelli to the Detroit Lions. -- BucsInsiders.com
Marinelli to coach Lions, bring Barry with him: Rod Marinelli will be leaving his position as Bucs defensive line coach to become the head coach of the Detroit Lions, made official in a press conference Thursday morning. -- 620 WDAE, The Sports BucsInsiders.com
Marinelli takes over Lions: The Bucs defensive line coach agrees in principle for his first chance as a head coach, and he doesn't want to go alone. -- St. Petersburg Times
Matt Millen's discerning eye for genius: Whenever Lions general manager Matt Millen makes some sort of executive decision, we tend to sit up and take notice, if just so we can film it and send it into one of those blooper shows. Todays decision is the hiring of Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli as the Lions next head coach. -- DeadSpin.com
Will Millen's coaching choice work this time? Maybe ...: It doesn't have the same feel, the same excitement as the day shiny new Ford Field was used to introduce slick and oh-so-smooth Steve Mariucci as head coach of the Detroit Lions. It's hard to be excited about Rod Marinelli, who was to be named Detroit's head coach today. -- Grand Rapids Press

What do you think

What three things would you address first to turn around the Detroit Lions?
Click here to vote

Audio excerpts

From Rod Marinelli press conference:
Talent is not the issue
Importance of offensive, defensive lines
Why he thinks he can succeed

Associated Press

"Football is a show-me game. I'm tired of talking," said Marinelli, who signed a four-year contract. See full image

Robin Buckson / The Detroit News

Lions president Matt Millen, right, introduced Rod Marinelli as the new Lions head coach Thursday morning. See full image

See full image

Associated Press

Marinelli has not been a head coach at any level, but attracted interest from at least one other team with an opening this offseason. The Oakland Raiders interviewed Marinelli on Monday, then he traveled to suburban Detroit for a second interview with Millen. See full image

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
ALLEN PARK -- The Lions made a turn toward toughness Thursday when they introduced super-intense Rod Marinelli, 56, as their new head coach.

Marinelli has been a defensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since 1996. He also had been elevated to the title of "assistant head coach as part of Tampa Bay's bid to hang onto a respected coach and Vietnam veteran noted especially for his skills at honing premier defensive linemen.

I understand how to build, said Marinelli, who has borrowed from the styles of past coaching colleagues: Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, John Robinson, Bruce Snyder, etc.

It all starts up front, Marinelli said. I want to have a great offensive line - physical. I want a great defensive line A team will last 16 games when you build up front.

Matt Millen, the Lions president, chose Martinelli over a cast of candidates, including Pittsburgh Steelers assistant Russ Grimm, and former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett.

The most important thing is I knew what we were looking for, said Millen, who clearly bought Marinelli"s you win up front approach, as well as the aura of discipline he figures to bring to a Lions team that finished 5-11 in 2005.

I know what it (the team) is, and what it can be, said Millen, who fired the two previous head coaches he selected, Marty Mornhinweg and Steve Mariucci.

Marinelli said he will begin immediately interviewing assistant coaching candidates. Of the quarterback he inherits and whose future in Detroit is anything but clear, Marinelli only said: Id like to sit down and visit with him.

Comments

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Guess it's going to be hard to judge this decision until the season begins. Hopefully he will be a good coach, but the fact that he has no experience as a head coach is a bit troubling.
  • Options
    He may turn out to be a good coach, but it's awful hard to overcome poor management at the executive level.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    No coach is going to succeed in Detroit until Millen is gone.

It's too bad, Marinelli was a great coach for the Bucs, but I can definitely understand his wanting to move up to a head coaching position.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as a Detroit fan, I can tell you I don't know what to think, which is probably about the best I could hope for. I sure know how I would have felt if they had hired Jim Haslett.

I don't follow the assistants' credentials very closely, but I'd like to know the board's opinion on Marinelli vs. Singletary. I for one would like to have seen Singletary.

On a related topic, is Steve Mariucci being considered for anything? Head coach? Assistant coach? College coach? Junior High offensive coordinator? Anything?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt Mariucci is being considered for a junior high school job, because in junior high running a 4-yd play when it's 3rd and 6 still doesn't cut it.

Let's not forget some of the best coaches in the NFL were promoted from a position coach - Andy Reid, Bill Parcells for example.
    Mike
  • Options
    <<< Andy Reid, Bill Parcells for example. >>>

I'm not familiar with how Parcells got his first head coaching job. But Andy Reid was actively involved with Mike Holmgren in formulating the Green Bay offense even though Reid was technically only a quarterbacks coach. Seems like Marinelli was just given a title to keep him on as a coach - that he wasn't really involved in game planning, etc. Pasted from the article: "Marinelli has been a defensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers since 1996. He also had been elevated to the title of "assistant head coach as part of Tampa Bay's bid to hang onto a respected coach and Vietnam veteran noted especially for his skills at honing premier defensive linemen."

Frankly, I'm not really familiar with his coaching but he does seem capable - we'll see how he does. As we know...there's not a ton of head coaching talent out there right now.
  • Options
    I believe Parcells was a d-line coach when he got promoted to head coach.

Anyways as a Lions fans, I 'll reserve judgement until the season. There is so much wrong with this team that I don't know if Vince Lombardi could fix it.
    Mike
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>I doubt Mariucci is being considered for a junior high school job, because in junior high running a 4-yd play when it's 3rd and 6 still doesn't cut it.

Let's not forget some of the best coaches in the NFL were promoted from a position coach - Andy Reid, Bill Parcells for example. >>

Let's not forget he took the 49ers to a 10-6 record and was let go.

Mariucci is a good coach...am sure he'll get another job.
  • Options
    Axtell - Maybe true, but there is a Lion's coach curse. Ever since Joe Schmidt had a heart attack in the early 70's, no other Lions coach has gone on to another head coaching job in the NFL.
    Mike
  • Options
    Perhaps George Plimpton cursed them?
  • Options
    More likely it had to do with the Ford family. Old man Henry must have built a plant on an Indian burial ground because since they bought the Lions in 1962, they have only won one playoff game.
    Mike
  • Options
    <<Let's not forget he took the 49ers to a 10-6 record and was let go.

Mariucci is a good coach...am sure he'll get another job.>>

Sadly (because he seems like a good guy), I don't see how anyone could argue that Mariucci is a good coach. When Marty Morningwheg coached the Lions, let's face it, he was in WAY over his head. The guy was the proverbial deer in the headlights. However, in 2 years, his offenses rarely looked as disorganized and as poorly schemed as Mariucci's did nearly every week, and Morningwheg had less talent. (And oh, by the way, Morningwheg was not raking in $5 mill annually either). Add that to the fact that Mariucci completely lost the locker room, and also generally did not seem to understand how bad his offenses really were, I don't see why anyone would take a chance on him.
  • Options
    i think anyone millen hires is going to fail.....he should resign, then the lions could hire a real gm and start over. is there a lions fan out there who really believes this current regime can turn this team around???image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    After watching the Lions for over 28 years, I can only say it's been terrible watching them lately. Lets face it, they haven't been a team to contend with for most of those years. But I must say Mooch put the worst offensive plan together I have ever seen in my life. Don't get me wrong here. Although I am no fan of Harrington, he's better than Garcia and it was obvious. To pull Harrington while they were actually in a tough divisional race seemed totally stupid by Mooch. Detroit actually wasn't playing horribly when he was pulled. They were playing .500 ball and had suffered some tough losses to Carolina on the last play of the game and got shafted by the refs in the Tampa game. Changing over to Garcia was absurd. He sucked every time he played. Mooch lost this team. He may succeed somewhere else, but my opinion is that he will not be able to do so with a young team. The Lions have young talent across the board, but those players need structure and have to learn solid work ethics and he did nothing to help them progress. I sincerely just can't get over this guys lousy play calling. I watched all 16 games and he never ceased to amaze me at the lack of imigination and total stupidity in regards to his "offensive" scheme.
  • Options
    << i think anyone millen hires is going to fail.....he should resign, then the lions could hire a real gm and start over. is there a lions fan out there who really believes this current regime can turn this team around???>>

Not only do I not believe that Millen can turn it around, it will actually pain me if they do under his watch. Until he leaves, any success the Lions have will be bittersweet for me. Everyone else gets the blame for the failures, and frankly I don't understand it. I know sometimes as fans we all think we know more than we do, but there is one thing I am certain about: If I was the Lions GM the last 5 years, the Lions would have had at least the 21 wins that they had. I'm quite confident my 4 year old daughter could have accomplished that.