Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Dale Friend to #1 in MS Liberty Nickels!

Congrats!!
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Dale !
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that yesterday. Of course, I saw his set was in the Baltimore auction two weeks ago so it matters little.

I did have to wonder why he didn't go get an 1889 to finish it first, glad to see he did.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug
  • Options

O'K, so how much am I going to have to spend to buy the 85 in 67?image

Jack

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dale!!!

Good luck in Baltimore,

Dave
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all. This series is a real adventure, trying to find fully struck examples of a composition that prohibits full details on a small coin.

Many of the dates have not been seen for years, as most were purchased privately. All of the 67's (PCGS and NGC) have not been in auctions or on dealer sites, so they will come back onto the market as relatively fresh.

The 1885 was purchased in 1995 from US Coins in Houston, Tx, where I spent all of my professional life, before retirement in 2002. The other 2 PCGS 67's (1883 with and without cents) are also unknown to the collecting public. Though Katy at Pinnacle will remember both.

Bobby Hughes sold me the 1894 in NGC 67- perhaps only a pq 66, but nicer than any other 1894 I have ever viewed. Same with the 1890 in NGC 67-pop 1, none finer at either service.

The 1902 in 68 ( NGC graded, and no other 68 by either NGC or PCGs) is truly immaculate. Looks like the strike and luster of an 1881-S Morgan in 68/69.

The 12-S and 12-D are both fully struck 66's. I know of only one finer 1912-S ( Stewart showed me his coin recently, and it is awesome.)

There are also multiple duplicates in lower grades (65's and 66's) that will be sold with the Registry set.

Jack, no reserves have been set as of date, but if you will bid over the moon, for the 1885 in 67, I will price it just below Mars.

Again, thank y'all for the kind words.
    TahoeDale
  • Options

Jack, no reserves have been set as of date, but if you will bid over the moon, for the 1885 in 67, I will price it just below Mars

T-minus 10, 9, 8, 7.......image

Jack

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Dale, that is one terrific set as I really like that series. Now what? image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    He told me secretly that he was starting a Saint collection. I know he has one coin so far. image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    stupid server posted twice. image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set!!! K
  • Options
    Congratulations Dale. That auction is going to be hard for me to stay away from.

I'm delighted to have a shot at some of those coins but ... I'm sad to lose you to the series. What was it that made up your mind to quit?

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Jay,

No, I am not starting a Saint collection. The one you parted with is my only one. But it is NICE !!

JHF,

It's funny how a decision to sell a complete series comes about. I am already doubting the decision, as I think about all the knowledge gained, and to not continue to use it regularly, once the coins are gone.

But the reasons were thought out, and I have many areas of interest that I'm sure will consume more time than my cute wife thinks I should spend on coins.

1. I came to the realization that I would probably never own the 1886 in 66. Though the pops say 3 PCGS coins have been graded, I can only find 2, and they are in solid hands.

2. PCGS has been so tough on this series, and it has become somewhat frustrating. They have never graded a 68, and there are several dates where the highest grade is 66. The true 66's are great coins, but to upgrade from where I am presently, is a slow and tedious race.

3. I found several coins recently, that belong in my early and capped bust collection. I need some ammunition to fight these battles.

4. I am retired (for the last 3 years) and both my budget and eyesight need rejuvenation.

So, the set will be sold, but the friends remain. Baxi and Carnton have shared their coins with me, and vice-versa. It has been fun.

But you know that!
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, Dale. Would love to see all your sets some day.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    dale

great set and a long time in the creation as for you it was a always a work in process...filled with monsters....and a once in a life time for bidders and the smart ones who realize it will get some monsters!!!

enough kudos

now get busy on the commem set :-)

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language