Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

FA: 1936 DDO Die 1 Scarce..only 47 graded .. PCGS VF-35

I know, you'd like a nicer one, but with only 47 graded in all, with 10 in the VG-VF range, there are more folks seeking to complete the Lincoln w/varieties set than there are Die 1 1936 DDO! Why not consider this a placeholder until and if a nicer one comes along? This will always resell easily, and it's cheap considering. This is the scarcest Doubled Die in the series, tougher than the vaunted 1917 DDO and makes the 1955 DDO look like chump change. Go ahead...

link

$229 with no reserve.

Ira
Dealer/old-time collector

Comments

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I need to hurry up and get all of mine graded!
    Doug
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DAYUM... I made one of those in XF40 and auctioned it back in September, ran it on eBay for 7 days with no reserve, and apparently just gave it away. Nice to see the market strengthening again.... now I just need to go find another one.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have this one which is unc detail but improperly cleaned. Maybe I should through it in my pocket for a while and let it get graded as an AU. Only way I can get it in a PCGS holder for registry sets. Something wrong with that!!!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think they are that scarce or I would not see them raw on Ebay every other week. It think its just that only a few low grade examples make it into plastic for the sake of registry participants. In fact, I bought all Three types for less than $90.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • That's a nice specimen...too bad about the cleaning. If the hairlines disappear and color becomes a nice RB, you might well get it in a PCGS slab. Just make sure you don't spend it by mistake!

Ira

• << <i>I do not think they are that scarce or I would not see them raw on Ebay every other week. It think its just that only a few low grade examples make it into plastic for the sake of registry participants. In fact, I bought all Three types for less than $90.

WS >>

Type 2s and 3's are often seen..but I rarely see a Type 1.

Ira
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    so these are worth something?

• RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Mike,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet image
  • Ira,

You did good image

I guess THIS might be considered arbitrage or a less preferred seller with less convenient payment terms getting a negative premium. image

<< <i>
    I guess <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8375187242&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT" target=blank><STRONG>THIS</strong></a> might be considered arbitrage or a less preferred seller with less convenient payment terms getting a negative premium. image >>

... and coin linked above is still nearly twice what my PCGS XF40 example sold for back in September. (You remember that coin, don't you rbintx? image ) What does that say about me as a seller? imageimage

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    "What does that say about me as a seller?"

imageimageimage

Sean,

I guess that just means Ira is MULTIPLES better than any of us - as if there were any doubt imageimageimageimage
    Check out the bidding on this ANACS AU55 example from last weekend. You guys are really making the market on these. For further evidence, look what this ANACS EF45 example went for when the two of you stayed home. image

Sean Reynolds

• Dang, Sean. Don't know how I missed THAT one! image

Wanna triple your money - tonight? imageimageimage
    I'm pretty sure this PCGS EF40 is the one I sold back in September. Should be interesting to see how it does this time around.

Also, Chapter Two of "How to Eat Like a King on Ira's Table Scraps," or "Man I Love the Superbowl"

This 1917 DDO closed Wednesday evening.

... while this 1917 DDO closed during the 4th quarter of the Superbowl. Good thing I'm not a football fan. image

Sean Reynolds

Sean,

You & IRA will do OK EVEN IF PCGS claims those have been cleaned. ANACS will still net grade if you ask them to image

p.s. thanks for the promo image
  • "I'm pretty sure this PCGS EF40</FONT>..."

Sean,

The "less preferred seller" theory at work? imageimageimageimage

<< <i>"I'm pretty sure this PCGS EF40..."

Sean,

The "less preferred seller" theory at work? imageimageimageimage >>

You have wounded me, sir. And to think I was so gracious in that PM I sent you. image

What can I say except some people know to strike when the iron is hot, while others tend to get struck by hot irons.

Sean Reynolds

Check out the latest L&C Coin Catolog..they have a couple raw ones that will not cost more than $50.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • "Check out the latest L&C Coin Catolog..they have a couple raw ones that will not cost more than $50."

WHERE? image

36-P, 1-O-IV: XF $100 (i.e. Die #1/FS-014) - IF it gets XF40 from pcgs after you're grading & shipping costs you might do OK.
    36-P, 2-O-V: AG $7, VG $20, F $30, VF $60 (i.e. Die #2/FS-015)
    36-P, 3-O-V: F $8, VF $11, EF $30 (i.e. Die #3/FS-016)

p.s. Sean, ANOTHER "less preferred seller" imageimage I always thought buyers preferred me to Heritage on this kinda stuff imageimageimage
    I'd bet some people missed that FS-014 on Heritage because it was graded before PCGS was making the distinction between the die numbers. The got a strong bid on the FS-015 in the same auction, over $120 for an EF40.

That FS-016 in EF for $30 is probably a pretty good deal. Contrary to Ira's observation, I've found Die #3 to be the hardest to find, I think because the doubling is not visible on the date.

Sean Reynolds

Maybe your catalog is newer than mine, so here is another one on Ebay for ya.

1936 DDO Type 1

My point all along is that darn coin is not scarce and does not deserve the value of a 1917 DDO. While a few seeking to fill a Registry slot may pay a price, that number is not in my opinion growing to the point that regardless of whose plastic its in, are willing to continue to pay $200 + for a coin what is readily availible in circulated grades. Now the AU and up is surely a differant story as it is rarely seen in quality grades. And yes, I agree the Type 2 is even rarer.

WS