Home Metal Detecting
Options

Today's finds

I had a chance to get back out to one of my local fields today and I enjoyed the time out there. I went for quite some time before I found my first Roman coin and then today, I got two more. One of them is identifiable, the other isn't. The large coin in the bottom middle of the pic is a coin of Antoninus Pius (138-161 AD), it could be a sestertius or an as. The buckle dates to the 13th/14th century. Nice finds!!!!! (comments of Folkert on the UKDN website--one of the find's advisors)

The coin to the left of the Roman is a 1774 George III and I think it is a half penny (not really sure) The button is from the Tudor period (second button like this I have found here) and the buckle is pretty cool as well(at least I think so)

A very enjoyable day!!!!!

Thanks for looking

Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    OK, this is getting ridiculous!!! image
    Fantastic finds!!!!

imageimageimage
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently had a really nice Antoninus Pius denarius. He was a "good" emperor, they say.

Unless that Roman coin is really huge, your George III 1774 coin looks more like a farthing. How big around are those two, in comparison to US coins?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Great work Scott!!

Keep 'em coming!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttt!!!Nice going on the find's Speer!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    Thanks all. I have been enjoying the New Year, that's for sure!!!!

LM,

The A. Pius Roman is the same size as a half dollar and the 1774 George III coin is the same as our nickel. I hope this helps some.

Thanks again
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a farthing, then. A halfpenny would be bigger than a US quarter, not quite half dollar size.

I would imagine the Roman would have to be an as or sestertius, as you said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LM,

Thanks for the info.
    Speer34

imageimageimage