Home Q & A Forum
Options

Regrade question

David,

Why is it that you cannot do a *regrade* while the coin is in it's present holder and crack it out instead? I sort of understand that you may not don't want to give the graders any predetermined grade to look for, but some of us(me at least) don't want to lose the older green label should you all not agree with the submission. I believe PCGS crosses over coins at higher grades than the labeled grades of other services even though we cannot designate a higher grade, so why not allow us to maybe pay a premium to have our older PCGS coins regraded without cracking them out. The particular coin that I have is a MS65 '41S Walker in an older Green Label holder that I would like to see if it would make a 66 to match all of the other grades of my short set, but even at 65.5 to 65.9 this coin is worth way more to many being in that older holder should it not make it.

Thanks for your time. I have pics if it would help end the speculation. image

Barry

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Hi Barry,

We do not want the graders to know a coin is a regrade. We want a fresh look at your coins and you should too.

Second, it is harder to grade a coin thru a holder. So for our own holders we crack the coin out.

We can't and won't leave the coins in holders...it would also be deceptive to potential buyers if they thought the coin was an old holder that had not been re-examined by us.

Can't have your cake and eat it too...sorry.

David