Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official Forum 9.5 Step Program

This is a discussion opportunity for anyone who thinks they spend too much.

The symptoms involve buyer's regrets, flashbacks, psych pangs, nite sweats, disgruntled spouses etc.

The main sign? Maxed credit cards.

I just told someone a simple idea that helps put this in perspective.

1. Someone offers you a deal? There will always be another deal!

2. One can go broke saving money!

3. For every item on ebay, there will always be another down the road.

Now I know there's exceptions to this and special low pop whatever - but people who get involved in those esoteric deals can probably afford them.

This discussion is only for the average, middle class OCD. image

What do ya think?
mike

edit: I know this isn't gonna be a popular thread but there's plenty of people who would like to at least mention a few tidbits of advice. I used to spend many moments discussing this with a few board members! And you know who YOU are! image
Mike

Comments

• Options
    I admit it! I need help Lucy!!
    Buying one more big lot & that's it til mid Feb! In about 5 months, I have amassed over 450 cards!! Over 250 cards from 67 in 8's & 9's. Over 125 cards from 65 in 7's & 8's. About 40 Stooge cards in 7's & about 45 Mars Attacks cards with others as well. So many still to put into the registry.
    Is there Al-Anon for us or a 12 step program??
    My focus is just those. No maxed out credit cards. Only put about $1000 on CC. Want to pay that off & then I will be at it again.
    While I am in my self purposed time-out, with my luck, a Duke Sims in PSA 8 from 67 will go for SMR!!

As Nancy Reagan would say, JUST SAY NO!!!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options

I wouldn't trust Lucy when it comes to advice on sports cards.

She'll pull the ball away when you're just about to kick. image
  • Options
    Mike, I like your 3 suggestions. I've found that the only thing that even remotely helps me is too delete items from my watch list at least 2 hours before the auction for an item ends. What always gets me is "a bargain". I watch an item and I just can't believe nobody is bidding on it, so at the end I snipe in a bid just to see if I can get it on the cheap - and way too often I do. I've bought over 50 items in the last month. None of them cost very much, but 50 of something at any price is a lot of dough. I figure right now it'll take me 3-4 months to pay off my credit card - if I don't buy anything else. I'm not sure I can do that...

Only in the last 2-3 weeks have I recognized that this is becoming a problem for me. And so far I'm having real difficulty dealing with it successfully. This thread is a good idea.
    << image >>
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    I have to disagree. We are Americans. We like our vehicles to seat 9 comfortably, our food fast, our personal debt high, our woman committed to a diet and exercise program, our TV's with choices of 200 channels on 72 inch screens in high def, our pantry stocked with food from the chip family, the biggest steak at a bar-b-que and we most importantly we want our Sports cards in top condition in a plastic slab and we want them as soon as we see them.
    We are not the Taliban or someone living in a hut in the third world or someone living in a rice patty or herding goats for a living. The quicker you realize this Lucy, the better off we all will be.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to disagree. We are Americans. We like our vehicles to seat 9 comfortably, our food fast, our personal debt high, our woman committed to a diet and exercise program, our TV's with choices of 200 channels on 72 inch screens in high def, our pantry stocked with food from the chip family, the biggest steak at a bar-b-que and we most importantly we want our Sports cards in top condition in a plastic slab and we want them as soon as we see them.
    We are not the Taliban or someone living in a hut in the third world or someone living in a rice patty or herding goats for a living. The quicker you realize this Lucy, the better off we all will be. >>

czar

What?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>This is a discussion opportunity for anyone who thinks they spend too much. >>

Czar

<< <i>I have to disagree >>

This is not an agree or disagree premise - it's for those who want to discuss their spending habits.

No one is telling anyone "what" to do with their money or time.

Stone

And finally that's why I added this "edit"

<< <i>edit: I know this isn't gonna be a popular thread but there's plenty of people who would like to at least mention a few tidbits of advice. I used to spend many moments discussing this with a few board members! And you know who YOU are! >>

Mike
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to be a wet sock in the discussion, but you have to be crazy to have credit card debt for a hobby. I have never used a credit card to buy cards. I haven't used a credit card at all for about five years. It is WONDERFUL. I do not have a spectacular collection like a lot of guys here. Check out my registry sets for proof. I do spend too much sometimes, but to me that just means I spent more than I planned. Take a few months off from buying cards. Organize what you have. Enjoy what you really like. Sell the stuff you don't really like. GET OUT OF DEBT. Debt is no fun. Focus on what you like and spend your money there. I have dealt with quite a few guys on this board, and I've never had a bad experience. I appreciate the people here, and I want everyone to get the most enjoyment out of their collections. I have found great pleasure in eliminating debt from my life. Come on guys, get a debit card and kick American Express to the curb.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I don't want to be a wet sock in the discussion >>

Arch
    I'm editing my response - I think I was being sensitive - your opinions are good tho a bit "tough love" IMO.

Method and meaning will assist people more than directive talk tho.

Reasoning this out and deciding WHY the OCD approach to buying may be very constructive.

I was buying for a while instead of beating my wife! LOL

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone:

I hear you. I empathize with you. Unlike a few others here, I understand from where you are coming. I told my wife today that I need a support group for my addiction . . . my OCD. Well done. Kudos.

Arch is right. We all know that. Never maxed a credit card, but have come close! Inspires creative thinking . . . Open another account and submit 200 more cards! Debt will go away with a little sticktoittiveness. I am certain. Well, kind of certain! Sure is fun, though, eh!?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I racked up a huge CC bill when I first met eBay in 2000 through about 2002. I got some sweet stuff but I have the debt to show for it. I actually have learned a lot over the past 5 years and not only do I not use a CC on eBay, I don't use one period.

If there is something I want I have to sell something I have to get it. I have been buying constantly over the past few years and have been flipping a lot and stashing the good ones in the sets I am interested in. I actually halved the debt in the last 2.5 years and have amassed a sweet collection along the way. I have upped my eye and buying and am hoping to be debt free in a year with about 70% of the debt payoff coming from eBay buy and sell. That is why the guy who asked about doubling his money in 8 weeks was met with such opposition. It took me quite a long time to start being in the black on purchases and it takes discipline and I'd like to think a little expertise.

Its an awesome hobby and I will never get out of it, but I also will never again go on credit for it. I have built(raw at least) straight sets of bb from 75-89 and fb from 68-87 from all of my buying and once I am debt free I plan on grading, upgrading and adding to the registry.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good night, and good luck image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I used to not use Paypal for payments, would send other form of payments, but now that I am selling items on ebay I only spend what I have available in my Paypal account. It is kind of a checks and balances thing for me.

Stingray
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would like to spend more. But I cant. But I want to.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    stone,
    my post was made in humor. it was not intended to offend anyone. my apologies for that.

it seems it is the american way. most of us cannot help ourselves from spending too much.

when i got into E-bay seriously it was one set. then there would be times where there was little offered on that set and i got bored so i started other sets. soon i was literally working on 12 sets with little direction and spending a boatload of money.

unlike a card show or store, E-Bay is the ulimate candy store for buyers. it's like las vegas, there is always a craps game going on. E-bay can be an addiction and we need our bids to get our fix.

there are many more horrendous things people do on the internet, but i used to make fun of people who were hooked on the home shopping network, not anymore.

this year i have sold a bunch of cards that i was working on, consigned other partial sets to superior, and put others i was building on ice. hopefully my "addiction" subsides.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Though it doesn't usually work out I agree with Stingray... sell on Ebay and spend the profits. Of course yesterday I won an unopened box for about $100 and they only take checks. Darn it. Good luck to all of us overspenders (on cards and life) keeping out of cc debt, not overspending, etc.... Enjoy free stuff like these message boards and "window" shop on Ebay. Good post Stone. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I know I have a problem and have done everything in my power to stop buying cards, organizing what I have and selling stuff I don't want. I have found myself asking sellers for an extra week or two for payment and that just puts off paying untill I have cash. I officially on the wagon and actually thinking about selling everything I own to get out of debt! Someone just said debt is no fun and for me it is just added stress to my life. I will be out of debt by July 2007 hopefully and then I can begin buying cards I want/like again.
    Another thing that really turns my stomach is the fact I bid on something or interested ( I will use 1976 Topps SGC or PSA cards) and I get bid to the max or end up getting outbid for dumb money! Then I turn around and try to sell and nothing not even a sniff!

What does OCD stand for?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Czar
    Thanx for the reply - I was thinking it was satire but not sure.

I apologize too - it's just that this is a big problem for a lot of people and I wanted them to know that we can talk about it and help each other.

When I was stationed in Turkey - someone said - "wow, stuff is cheap over here! I would never be able to afford the gold, the rugs, the antiques..." My reply: "yeah, and I'm going broke saving money!"

The same applies here - there will always be another bargain, another RC of XYZ in 9 and another whatever - except for certain items - ebay will always be there for you. Remember, the guy who gets the bargain you missed - will eventually need $ and put it up.

I guess my new OCD is $ containment!

At least there's some place you can go to talk about it without being looked at like you came from Mars!!

Good luck and I'm on your side.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike & everyone, my "bid on" list is now clear, cleared out my watch list & the Cold Turkey is on!! Here is another topic someone should start, "How much time do you spend looking at YOUR cards." Is it just the thrill of getting them that you are looking for?

Anyway, no bids til end of Feb!

Cold Turkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, has got meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, on the run

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I have a deal worked out that we each get a certain allowance each month. We can spend it on whatever we want with no complaints from the other. Once the money is spent, we wait until next month for our 'allowance' to renew. It makes us both happy because she can't complain about my cards and I can't complain about her purse obsession. But really, who needs a new purse every two weeks?
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>Mike & everyone, my "bid on" list is now clear, cleared out my watch list & the Cold Turkey is on!! Here is another topic someone should start, "How much time do you spend looking at YOUR cards." Is it just the thrill of getting them that you are looking for?

Anyway, no bids til end of Feb!

Cold Turkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, has got meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, on the run >>

Ted
    You've alluded to a good point! The HUNT!

Mike
  • Options

I agree with Mike... Splendidsplinter has a great point. There is something about watching 'that' card for 5, 7, 10 days and thinking about bringing it home, already imagining it in your collection, only to acquire it and repeat the process with the next must have card.

It's a hard cycle to break. For those who can go cold turkey, I admire you.

I do like to look at my cards, but the pursuit is certainly a part of it.

Chris
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Mike... Splendidsplinter has a great point. There is something about watching 'that' card for 5, 7, 10 days and thinking about bringing it home, already imagining it in your collection, only to acquire it and repeat the process with the next must have card.

It's a hard cycle to break. For those who can go cold turkey, I admire you.

I do like to look at my cards, but the pursuit is certainly a part of it.

Chris >>

Chris
    The process is hard but it starts with "freezing" the spending. Step 1.

Step 2 - dump all "watch stuff" - too tempting to pull the trigger.

Step 3 - erase all shortcuts to Snipe services! After all, if you don't have a "watch" why need a "snipe?"

Step 4 - we're just getting started - so for reinforcement - repeat Step 1!!!!!

I'm rabble rousing for sure but people have enquired.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, where and when were you stationed in Turkey? I was there in 69 - Trabzon.
    << image >>
  • Options
    Muck
    I was stationed in Sinop in 1989-90 - a field station in the northern part of the country on the Black Sea.

Very nice place!

mike

edit: wasn't Trabzon on the Black Sea coast also? My band played all over the country.
    Mike
  • Options
    Yeah, Trabzon was just up the coast (northeast). I had a some friends at Sinop and took the bus a couple times. Trabzon was long closed down by the time you got there. I helped pack up the base and was one of the last to leave.

Very nice place!

you're kidding, right? image
    << image >>
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, Trabzon was just up the coast (northeast). I had a some friends at Sinop and took the bus a couple times. Trabzon was long closed down by the time you got there. I helped pack up the base and was one of the last to leave.

Very nice place!

you're kidding, right? image >>

I really liked Turkey - BTW, we played at the University that is in Trabzon then.

Sinop looks like a resort - I had to go to a detachment near Istanbul alot and my wife came to visit me and we stayed there for two weeks in a really nice hotel - the rooms paid by the Army - space A - if they didn't need the room - they gave it to me free!

I guess I'm easy - but then again I was also in Vietnam, Korea and Saudi during Desert Storm - so what do I know? I could live in a 50 gallon drum I guess!

I spent time on floating crap like this as a teenager in Qui Nhon - no bathroom - if ya hada take a dump, ya did it in a bucket!!!image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    For those, like me, who do want a set of rules to live by and guide us in our quest - here's another thing to consider:

Rule: think of your collecting as a marathon rather than a sprint. I've said this before. What's the hurry? Take your shoes off, stay a while....people in bare feet are never in a hurry! LOL

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Intersting topic.

I always preferred my cards to be in EX/MNT condition and raw.

That way I could take them and look at them. Flipping a 9 or 8 pocket page is a great way to spend an afternoon. Now with the advent of these slabs my 65 set is housed in 4 large monster boxes and i rarely get to look at them.

I am at 95 percent on the 2 sets that i wanted to do ala PSA but after that it is back to raw for me. I will probably have the HOF's graded and keep the rest of the set raw.

I confess that I have a 50.00 snipe set for a card that normally would sell for 6 bucks.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    My problem is I keep "expanding" my collection boundaries.
    I collect autographs through the mail and on Ebay.
    I had to get a PayPal credit card because that was the only way I was going to be able to purchase a Ted Williams autographed bat. I paid it off in 3 months but still that was the beginning of the real stretching.
    Since then there has been the "had to have" UDA Williams 1941 card, the Williams 1955 SI cover UDA, the Pujols "Topps Reserve" auto'd mini-helmets, the DiMaggio auto'd QVC plaque, the quest for the 1960 Topps auto's rookie cards, the ongoing quest for any and all 1957 Topps auto'd.
    It just keeps growing.
    The Auto'd no hitter club. There are at least 150 members.
    The 500 home run auto's bat club, except for Ruth, Foxx, and Ott.
    Any and all Cardinals...............and so forth..........there is no finish line.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I found that a good way to suppress over spending is to keep a very accurate, but simple spreadsheet record of everything I buy, sell and trade. The reality of entering all of those numbers keeps me grounded.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I found that a good way to suppress over spending is to keep a very accurate, but simple spreadsheet record of everything I buy, sell and trade. The reality of entering all of those numbers keeps me grounded. >>

Good point!

And if someone is at ground zero and not sure where to start:

1. Start with a collecting goal.

2. Establish a budget.

3. Balance quality with quantity predicated on that budget.

E.g. I'm happy with a PSA 8 63F BB card and can get quite a few compared to one PSA 9 - I would rather have a bit more quantity. Someone else may choose to take way longer to do the set in PSA 9 with the SAME budget.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I just wanted to say...

I still haven't bought anything on ebay!!!

Mike
  • Options
    I can't say that. The cold turkey experiement went well fo a while then kablooie.

But I am still within my means so I am ok

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ive avoided this thread up until now, because i've refused to restrain myself from clicking on the "Bid Now" buttons..

but im proud to say i'm going on 48 hours without buying anything! i dont know how long i can last..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>ive avoided this thread up until now, because i've refused to restrain myself from clicking on the "Bid Now" buttons..

but im proud to say i'm going on 48 hours without buying anything! i dont know how long i can last.. >>

That's quite an accomplishment! Really! That's about as far as I've been able to make it. This is a LOT tougher than it sounds.

Congrats pandrews, and good luck for the next 48 hours... image
    << image >>