Home Sports Talk

Thoughts on the Denver Broncos.......................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
and their season so far.

I have been a fan of the Broncs since I was a kid growing up in Denver. I was glad when they won two Superbowls in the 90's with Mr. Ed. at the helm. Since then I have not been as interested in the team as I was when they had not won the Superbowl.

This year's team I have followed on the tube and in the papers. Prior to the last regular season game against the Chargers I thought that the Broncs were having a good year but that they would not go far in the playoffs. The early season loss one point loss to the Giants (by giving up 14 in the late 4th quarter) made me have doubts.

Then, in San Diego for game sixteen after having already locked up the #2 spot in the AFC, a first round bye and home field advantage for the second round I expected the Broncs to rest their starters and lose the game. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. The Broncs demolished San Diego and just seemed to be riding the big MO into the playoffs.

When the first round resulted in the PATS playing Denver, I thought that even though it is being played in Denver, playing the PATS would present a huge challenge to overcome. Watching the game on Saturday now makes me think that the Broncs may have the horses and the drive/determination to get to Detroit and win Superbowl XL. Their running game against the PATS was ineffective, but their defense and special teams played great. Further Jake the Snake continued to play well (not turning the ball over to the extent he did in the past hitting Rod Smith for a TD).

It will be interesting to see how things turn out next week and maybe in Detroit. Had the Steelers lost and Denver played in Indianapolis next week, I think they could have given the Colts a game. Since the Colts had not played a meaningful game for over a month, since they lost 2 of the last 3 regular season games and since they had a first round bye, they were set up for a letdown in the quality of their play.

Thought on the Broncs and who will win in Detroit?

Comments

• kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I have never had much respect for the Donkeys this year. Yes I am a Kansas City fan so that may make me biased. Denver did not really impress me against the Pats. I know in the end the score is all that matters, but I think the Pats gave the Broncos one of the biggest gifts of the postseason. Had Denver actually beaten the Pats by playing a great game, I would be picking them this week, but right now I have to go with the Steelers. I think it will be a great game though.
    Travis
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the Pats gave the Broncos one of the biggest gifts of the postseason. >>

Ditto.
  • Denver was favored over New England for a reason - it's a little thing called home-field advantage, and Denver's home field advantage is among the top 5 in the NFL. The last time they lost at home was November 2004, and I don't think they'll lose again at home until next season. Although being 12-4-1 ATS this season has made me a little partial to the Broncos image