Home Sports Talk
Options

Manning Fails to Deliver...Again!

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Yet another big game, and yet another failure to close a big game.

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this man a Hall of Famer or a choke artist ax?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    He is a spoiled little punk. Who does he think he is going against Dungy on that 4th down.
    He needs to be b*itch slapped!image
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    Manning blamed the O Line in a post game interview. image
  • Options
    He's a hall of famer AND a choke artist.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a hall of famer AND a choke artist. >>

Agreed. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    And if I hear one more 'expert' compare him to Marino I'm gonna be sick.

Marino would wet himself if he had the arsenal that Manning has...yet Manning continues to flail like a fish out of water in big games.

Manning had 74 yards passing in the first half, and had 25 yards in the Colts' first four possessions.

CHOKER.

• Options

Manning = ARod

Indiana Colts = Buffalo Bills of the 2000's. The big difference is they haven't even gone to the big dance.

I think Seattle will beat Carolina but either team will beat the AFC team.

• Options
    Can't put all the blame on Manning on this one. It wsa a team effort that fell short. He had his problems, O Line had problems, Defense had their problems and well, Mikey had his problem badly missing a field goal. The team just wasn't prepared for Pittsburgh like they should have been. I guess that's what happens when 99.9% of the people pick you to win and gives the other team no shot.
  • Options
    He absolutely stunk it up in the first half, and a real leader doesn't come out and start pointing fingers at his o line. You just don't call out those who protect you, have done it all year. And calling off your coach on a 4th down play...tacky.

He's the same big baby his little brother is. He needs to suck up the responsibility that he blew it, had an awful game, and learn how to be a leader.

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    290 yards and zero interceptions isn't exactly choking, especially when the o-line is letting guys in scot free.

I don't often agree with Skinpinch and his barrage of numbers, but in a recent post he made a good point about football being a TEAM game.

You know the difference between Manning and Brady???

Viniteiri would've made that kick.
  • Options
    The Colts had way too much time off. Some of those guys did not play for 3 weeks thanks to the idiotic way the Colts approached their final few games. It is no suprise that they came out very very flat.

If I hear one more "expert" tell me how SMART it is to rest your starters at the end of a season when you have a BYE anyway i am going to be SICKimage

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain how Polamalu's INT was incomplete when he caught the ball, rolled twice, and the only reason he lost it was when he kicked the ball out of his own hand? I can't fathom how he couldn't have had possession. That being said, the Colts looked like the Broncos with as many free gifts as they were given at the end of the game. How many second, third and fourth chances do you need and you still can't seal the deal. This was the year that they had everything in line for them. Every playoff game was inside where little Peyton didn't have to get his little handsies cold and they blew it. I am now convinced that Peyton will now never win the (or any) big game.
    Travis
  • Options
    If he wouldn't have called off the Punt team, then they would have lost by 10 or more instead of 3. If he wouldn't have converted then you can talk crap about his decision, but he took the role of a leader on that call and came through.
  • Options
    Lets face it, the colts got out physicalled again. It was what the Pats did in the past and the Chargers did this year. It is the blueprint for beating them. Beat them up. Harrison was a no show again until late. Peyton looked nervous or scared most of the game. They were given the biggest gift of the century when Bettis fumbled and they still blew it. Come on get a 2 yard first down! You think Peyton would have tackled the guy with Bettis fumble... hardly. He would have run the other way! It may just run in the family. Do you think Peyton would have went to the Chargers when he was drafted?

The one physical guy that the colts have, Bob Sanders, was hardly called all day, where did he go?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Yet another big game, and yet another failure to close a big game. >>>

This is true...but Manning is only 29 years old...too early yet to label him a choke artist although he is leaning on that path.
  • Options

Odds:

Will the Mannings ever play for the same team and which will be the back up? image

I agree with the leadership aspect on the 4th down call. He had the confidence to know that the O would make it. If Dungy though different he would have punted.

That said, Peyton needs to learn how to play under pressure. The Steelers D was in his back pocket all day.

Yeah, so does McNabb. image

Maybe McNabb can tech Manning how to run, and Peyton can teach Donovan how to play with stress and not puke.

• Options

<< <i>290 yards and zero interceptions isn't exactly choking, especially when the o-line is letting guys in scot free. >>

He had 75 yards in the first half...when Pittsburgh was running up and down the field. He made up a lot of those yards in garbage time as Pittsburgh played softer D. Manning failed to deliver. He wants to be the offensive coordinator, he needs to accept the responsibility that goes with it...and NOT calling out your O line is a start.

And please, let's not say it was the kicker's fault...if Manning has anything resembling a pro QB's first half, they wouldn't have been scrambling to make a late second FG...and it was nearly 50 out...hardly automatic.

• Options
    I guess he (Manning) failed in his attempt to lead the Colts to a big win. He is a great young quarterback that will have his day(s) in the sun. The Colts had a very good season and were the leagues premier team for awhile. They peaked a touch early and didn't respond AS A TEAM very well to the adversity they faced late in the season. Sometimes the harder you try to regain what you've DONE gets in the way of what you need to DO.
    Think of the movie "Groundhog Day". The harder Bill Murray tries to re-live a perfect day the worse it gets. The Colts slipped off track and tried to regain momentum just by stepping back on the tracks. You can be on the right track, but you'll get run-over if you're standing still...enter the Steelers. It's nobody's fault, in my opinion. Just a tough way to end a really good season.
    Congrats to the Steelers and their fans. They are a very spirited group of guys that are well-coached and don't fear anyone. They're a legitimate Super Bowl Championship-caliber club.

Axtell,
    I like your venom and spirit and enjoy your perspective. I don't agree with it in this case as I think Dan Marino had a heck of a group of receivers as well. Both are tremendous talents and I don't think any less of Dan Marino for not winning a Super Bowl. Circumstance has an awful lot to do with success in the moment. Super Bowls do not make the player in my opinion. In our society it is always about winning the last game you play or what have you done for me lately. I choose to be above that. The Buffalo Bills that went to four Super Bowls are a truly special team to me. The Atlanta Braves keep failing in the post-season, but every organization that has needed to rebuild does so in their model. Also, ask any team that was in the National Football League from 1983-1990 if they wanted Dan Marino to be their quarterback and, with few exceptions, the answer would be "Why? Is he available? What have you heard? You'd better not be joking! This is HUGE!" Marino and Manning are both all-time greats with or without jewelry. Manning may get his--he may not. That doesn't change the durability, leadership, hard work, discipline, and skill he plays with every week.

dgf
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say it was the kickers fault. Manning got little protection and got hurried for most of the game, bottom line is he put them in a position to at least tie the game. Vanderjagt misses a field goal and the game ends. If he made it who knows. Being a Pats fan im not rooting for the Colts but Manning is a truly great QB, and as far as him telling Dungy to keep his punter off the field he came through with the first down so why the fuss about that? Manning and Co. will be back next year AGAIN and maybe they will put it together then. Nobody calls Elway a choke artist, look how many times he failed before finnally winning it very late in his career. Let Manning finish his career and then we will have a right to judge him as a choke artist or not.
  • Options
    As for vanderjagt, isn't he the guy who is always running his mouth? I seem to recall him being a "special" guy. I can't say he choked, but it's nice to see a guy who calls out other players get his. If I am thinking of somebody else, my apologies to him, but I could swear I got it right.

dgf
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As for vanderjagt, isn't he the guy who is always running his mouth? I seem to recall him being a "special" guy. I can't say he choked, but it's nice to see a guy who calls out other players get his. If I am thinking of somebody else, my apologies to him, but I could swear I got it right.

dgf >>

Yeah, he said that the Colts had no heart after, I believe it was the Jets, handing them their a$ses a couple of years ago in the playoffs.
    Travis
  • Options
    I've never been a big fan of people placing blame on a single play as the reason they won or lost - perfect example is the 'tuck rule' non fumble in the Pats/Raiders game a few years ago. The Colts played like crap for the first 55 minutes of that game, they deserved to lose.

And yes, Marino had some good receivers, but he never had the team that Manning had. Manning has a long history of coming up short in big games, dating all the way back to his days in college, and this debacle is just another chapter in the story.

• Options
    Where was his screen to Edgerine while Pittsburgh blitzed him all day?

I think that's what happens in Manning's "big games". He gets blitzed all day and he starts getting that pouty look. And he's not very mobile.

That Troy Polomahu (sic) seemed like he was everywhere!
  • Options

<< <i>290 yards and zero interceptions isn't exactly choking, especially when the o-line is letting guys in scot free.
    .. >>

Uh, he should have had one BIG int. But, even with the refs help, the Dolts pissed the game away!!
  • Options

<< <i>
    And yes, Marino had some good receivers, but he never had the team that Manning had. Manning has a long history of coming up short in big games, dating all the way back to his days in college, and this debacle is just another chapter in the story. >>

Marino had some good receivers? ha! Mark Duper and Mark Clayton were as formidable a receiving tandem that there EVER has been in the NFL. Those Miami teams were juggernauts on offense. So, it was defense that let Dan the man down almost his entire career. Dan Marino, one of the all time greats at QB could not win the big game because of a HUGE deficiency on defense.

Peyton Manning and the rest of the "vaunted" Colts were given TOO MUCH TIME OFF. These guys went almost three weeks without seeing real game action. To rest your players with A DAMN BYE locked up is playing in FEAR. FEAR of injuries is playing in FEAR. Thus, the Colts came out as FLAT as you can expect from a team being led by FEARFUL coaches and ownership.

• Options

<< <i>As for vanderjagt, isn't he the guy who is always running his mouth? I seem to recall him being a "special" guy. I can't say he choked, but it's nice to see a guy who calls out other players get his. If I am thinking of somebody else, my apologies to him, but I could swear I got it right.

dgf >>

Yes, that's who Manning referred to as their "idiot kicker". I will be interesting to see if the Colts bring him back next year.
  • Options

<< <i>Marino had some good receivers? ha! Mark Duper and Mark Clayton were as formidable a receiving tandem that there EVER has been in the NFL. Those Miami teams were juggernauts on offense. So, it was defense that let Dan the man down almost his entire career. Dan Marino, one of the all time greats at QB could not win the big game because of a HUGE deficiency on defense.

Peyton Manning and the rest of the "vaunted" Colts were given TOO MUCH TIME OFF. These guys went almost three weeks without seeing real game action. To rest your players with A DAMN BYE locked up is playing in FEAR. FEAR of injuries is playing in FEAR. Thus, the Colts came out as FLAT as you can expect from a team being led by FEARFUL coaches and ownership.

>>

Dan,
    I'm still pissed that you sold that LeFlore out from under me--to a friend, no less, but your post above makes me feel better. I agree with every word and it's nice to see them in print when I didn't write them. I respect Coach Dungy and the Colts organization, but perhaps the time off really did dull thier blades some...

dgf
  • Options
    Thanks guys for clearing up the kicker thing. I thought that was him...screw-ball.
  • Options
    Phil, yeah I did. The Funky one had some nice stuff for my set. I couldn't resist. How did the Simmons look ? Its not often I say anything that you agree with so it came at the right time? image

• Options
    Dan,
    The Simmons looked nice, but my sense is that it is the lesser of the ones you turned. True story? Frank tends to pick the nicest example when deals are made and the next-best copy is probably like the one I already have. Just tell me that you didn't tell him the card was already promised to me. That would be uncool if he knew and still went after it. The reason I have dropped out of the hobby of late is the amount of "deals" that have gone the way this one did. I think Mike Castaldi must've turned 30 cards I wanted and he sent every last one to someone else before I could get a single ONE. I get offered what's returned, but who wants those? We all remember the term "sloppy seconds"...sorry, I know that's gross. I don't begrudge anyone for trying to make their set better, however. The thing that bugs me is that of the 700+ cards in the set, theres only 40 I really want extra nice and LeFlore is near the top of the list (lead-off man).

Here's a question for you more on topic--sort of-- regarding the Giants. Are Yankee fans more rabid than Giant fans? Who is more fair-weather? I met a guy, Mike Rosinus, who is from New York and he's a Yankee fan and a JET fan. How unusual is that?

dgf
  • Options

<< <i> Here's a question for you more on topic--sort of-- regarding the Giants. Are Yankee fans more rabid than Giant fans? Who is more fair-weather? I met a guy, Mike Rosinus, who is from New York and he's a Yankee fan and a JET fan. How unusual is that?

dgf >>

A Yankee/Jet fan is DEFINATELY not the norm. The way it usually breaks down is Met fans are Jet fans and Yankee fans are Giant fans. I am sure alot of that has to do with the Giants history at Yankee Stadium and the Jets history at Shea stadium. I don't know ANY Giants fans who are Met fans. That is just the way it is. Both Yankee and Met fans can be described as GENERALLY fair weathered. Both have the rock solid rabid core who can never seem to get playoff tickets when the fair weather and the celebs start to take interest.

Giant fans are a hardy bunch as all of them have had season tickets FOREVER aside from the few that don't renew tickets every year for whatever reason. The 20+ year waiting list for them is testament to the loyalty of the Giants fan. The Jet fan is as loyal as they come also but they are a annual miserable lot who love their snakebit team. The few times that beer has not been allowed at Giants Stadium have come at peak miserable time during Jet home games. The Giant fans have the snowball masacre against San Diego 10 or so years ago when many of the season ticket holders opted to sell off the last game of the season during a miserable stretch for the Giants. That game resulted in new STRICT penalties against season ticket holders who sell off their tickets and the buyer acts like a jacka$$. The penalty being permanent loss of season tickets.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And to add to what Dan has mentioned the Yankee, Giant fan also usually follows the Knicks and Rangers too. The Mets, Jets guy usually goes for the Islanders and Nets. Although their are exceptions.

I guess some of us are just gluttons for punishment.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>And to add to what Dan has mentioned the Yankee, Giant fan also usually follows the Knicks and Rangers too. The Mets, Jets guy usually goes for the Islanders and Nets. Although their are exceptions.

I guess some of us are just gluttons for punishment.

Steve >>

Steve, yes that is exactly right! Giant/Yankee fans ARE Knicks and Ranger fans etc! Good Job image although I'm not sure about the Nets. They have a mix of fans (ME) the few of them that there are (ME)

I became a Net fan watching Chocolate Thunder Darryl Dawkins bring down back boards image