Home Sports Talk
Options

Ray Brown retires - Now here is a gamer

20 years as an offensive lineman. That is tough to match. Looks like he started at least 14 games in 12 of the last 13 years.

After 20 Years, Brown Calls End to His Career

By Howard Bryant and Eli Saslow
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, January 15, 2006; E16

SEATTLE, Jan. 14 -- Even though he spent the last moments of his career grappling with a playoff loss, this is exactly how Ray Brown wanted it to end, he said. The Washington Redskins offensive lineman walked off the field satisfied and uninjured, convinced that -- despite a 20-10 loss -- he was leaving on top.

Brown, who sat out portions of Saturday's game because of cramps, announced his retirement with tears in his eyes after the game. He plans to stay a part of the Redskins organization, he said.

"I'll still go away from the game with a little confidence and arrogance that I can still play with these guys, but I know I'm done," Brown said. "I'm glad I can stand upright and tell you that I'm done. I'm satisfied with my career. I really am."

Brown, 43, played in the NFL for 20 years, signing with the Redskins as a free agent before the 2004 season. He played for Washington for five years earlier in his career.

The charismatic guard ended his career the same way he had spent most of it: as a starter. Before this season, he had started at least 14 games in every season since 1993. That he suffered cramps Saturday, Brown said, counted as another sign that all that playing time had worn him down.

"It's been a great, long career," Brown said. "I've taken so much. Now it's my time to try to give some time, to my family and everything else."