Home Metal Detecting
Options

what kind of key is this?

Besides $1.22 in clad and a regular house key, I dug this neat looking item. I think it's an old clock key or something. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    It does look to be a clock key.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I know what it isimageIt go's to kid's toy handcuff's,I found a couple last year and wasn't sure.But could tell they were made of a cheap metal,then my daughter brought a pair home.That's when I figured it out.HH,Tom
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    loditom's got it! Thats a handcuff key... I keep one on my keychain image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options

<< <i>loditom's got it! Thats a handcuff key... I keep one on my keychain image >>

Are you guys serious? Whay a bummer! Thought I found something good...image
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    This just has to be done...........

<< <i> I know what it isIt go's to kid's toy handcuff's,I found a couple last year and wasn't sure.But could tell they were made of a cheap metal,then my daughter brought a pair home.That's when I figured it out.HH,Tom >>

Your daughter plays with handcuffs? imageimageimageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clock key, perhaps- but the key that would open the cabinet to a clock, not the key used for winding it. Those have butterfly wings.

Could also be a furniture key to a desk or bureau drawer. I inherited a Queen Anne style secretary desk from my grandmother that has a similar key to open the drawers.

It is old- looks Victorian.

I disagree with the handcuff key theory- though handcuff keys may be similar in size, I doubt they're that ornate?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    No, it's definitely a handcuff key. I used to keep one on my key ring as well, until it broke off. It is made of cheap pot metal and punkrockers used to all have at least one set of these cheaply made handcuffs. That is definitely the key that goes to those cheap handcuffs.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Depending on the length, it looks like a key for a china cabinet/hutch or secretary ! Could also be from a lap desk ! Most of these keys were only 2- 2 1/2 inches in length ! Lap desk keys were frequently worn on a chain or ribbon around the neck by young ladies !! So no one could read the letters only half written !!

mart
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I agree with lordmarcovan, I have an old closet with a similar key.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    My wife has a modern jewlery box that has keys similar to this, however the keys she has were less ornate and also were longer and thinner. I think it maybe to a chest, drawer or jewelery chest. I'm now curious about the age of it. It's a pretty solid piece of metal, so I don't think it's from handcuffs.....
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    it looks like a skeleton key most likely to an old box or cabinet of somesort considering it has a hollow point compared to an old door key wich is not a hollow point.