Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What a Nightmare!!

A friend that I work with has a baseball signed by the Yankees team, circa late 50s. Well he has been bugging me to send it to PSA for him to have it authenticated. I was a little apprehensive to do it because I have never sent a ball in before, but in the end I agreed to do it. I printed and filled out the submission form for him and had him ship out the ball according to PSA standards.

Well that was about 10 weeks ago. I called PSA last week to check the status of the ball, and they told me that there were no submissions pending in my account!! image They never recieved the ball!

So now my friend has a claim filed with the P.O. and you know how long that takes. The ball is lost in space, and I feel responsible now. I feel bad about the whole situation. I should have trusted my gut feeling and refused to do it, but he is my friend, I had to. Hopefully in the end it will work out.

In case your wondering if he kicked my a$$ for it, he has been a good sport about it, and has not thrown it in my face... I think I rather he tear me a new one so I would feel better image

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Did you send it registered mail? I believe that is what PSA suggests.

and if so how can it be lost?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, he did send it registered mail. Apparently the P.O. said it must have been re-routed. To where? who knows.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob

That is odd. registered mail is under lock and key and has a number.

are you thinking you sent it registered and in fact sent it certified?

in any event im sorry that happened

Steve

ps maybe one of the mail men we have on the boards will chime in.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, My friend does have the reciept from the P.O. He told me it went registered but now you have me thinking otherwise. I will have to see the reciept and see how he did it. Either way, I hope it can be returned to him.

Bob
  • Options
    if it was sent registered mail, it had to be signed for if it was delivered somewhere. the post office would have a record of who signed for it and should be able to get that information quickly.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downtown

I'm with Steve on this one - my postal carrier told me that they take "registered" mail very seriously - as a civil servant, it's one of the few things that could get them fired I guess?

I wish you all the luck in the world and I'm really sorry to hear about this.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I am hoping that it just mixed up with the heavy volume of holiday mail and such. It should be easy for them to track. Its funny, I seem to be more concerned than my friend is. I had to really get on his case to file the claim. I will keep you posted on how this unfolds.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob

are you sure he even mailed it? perhaps he got cold feet?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Bob

are you sure he even mailed it? perhaps he got cold feet?

Steve >>

Steve, That thought did cross my mind. But then I thought if he lied about submitting it, I would think he would lie and tell me it was returned back to him instead of watching me suffer here. I hope thats not the case.
    Bob
  • Options
    Right here is the WORST FEAR IN MY HEART!
    I would like to have some items in my collection PSA certified, but every so often, the roulette ball of USPS or UPS lands on "Lost In Transit".
    I simply won't take the chance.
    People say "well just insure it".
    Some things, money can't replace.
  • Options
    One of the more interesting cases like this was reported by a boardmember who dropped off about 70K worth of stuff for same day service, I believe. Can't remember which grading company. They said they had to take it back for holdering.

The collection was lost by FedEx, I believe, and the hunt was on!

Luckily the box was put in the wrong shipping container and was found eventually!

Most of us would agree, even if compensated, we would rather have the cards - especially if it were something we were working on for years!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have a large amount of vintage cards to submit but now Im a little reluctant. I mean this kind of thing does not happen often but when it does, its kind of a wake up call. And your right Mike, It isnt the value I care about, its the cards that mean alot to me. Even the PSA 3s image
    Bob
  • Options
    I have an ungraded card that is in almost the same condition as one that went for over $500 on eBay this past week (to me, anyway, that's a lot of money). I was thinking about getting it graded but now I'm not so sure.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    From reading this post I put my money on your friend not sending it.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the more interesting cases like this was reported by a boardmember who dropped off about 70K worth of stuff for same day service, I believe. Can't remember which grading company. They said they had to take it back for holdering.

The collection was lost by FedEx, I believe, and the hunt was on!

Luckily the box was put in the wrong shipping container and was found eventually!

Most of us would agree, even if compensated, we would rather have the cards - especially if it were something we were working on for years!!

mike >>

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I have about 70 high end 1956 cards that i spent a pretty penny on raw from a trusted individual about 3 years ago. One was a Vern Law which i feel at his worst is a 9...its that sharp. I would DIE if I lost these....and i cant see myself sending them in but in small groups to make sure they are not ALL lost at the same time.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    This thread is fading down the list so I thought I'd revive it with a hijack - image

A business associate had a full wax box of a 1968 Topps non-sports issue that he wanted to sell. He told me he didn't know what to do, how to do it, bla bla bla, and I told him if he seriously wanted to sell it that I'd help him consign it to a major auction house, which I did. While waiting for the auction to close, he let slip that he had, at one time, listed the thing on ebay with a high reserve that was never met. The item eventually hammered at a tad over market value through the major auction house I set him up with. Of course, he was hoping for twice that.

A week later, the same item closed on ebay for 20% more (and no seller's fee)!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is fading down the list so I thought I'd revive it with a hijack - image

A business associate had a full wax box of a 1968 Topps non-sports issue that he wanted to sell. He told me he didn't know what to do, how to do it, bla bla bla, and I told him if he seriously wanted to sell it that I'd help him consign it to a major auction house, which I did. While waiting for the auction to close, he let slip that he had, at one time, listed the thing on ebay with a high reserve that was never met. The item eventually hammered at a tad over market value through the major auction house I set him up with. Of course, he was hoping for twice that.

A week later, the same item closed on ebay for 20% more (and no seller's fee)! >>

So Mark after that...
    Did he kill the "messenger?"

Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    While he was counting his eggs before the auction closed, he was telling me how he and his wife would take me and my wife out for dinner; after the auction closed, I didn't even get a thank you. I didn't tell him about the auction the next week.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>Mike
    While he was counting his eggs before the auction closed, he was telling me how he and his wife would take me and my wife out for dinner; after the auction closed, I didn't even get a thank you. I didn't tell him about the auction the next week. >>

Well....that wasn't very nice!

Next time just tell him to call Mr Mint!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, heres an update from the signed Yankees ball that was lost in space at PSA. No I still havent gotten it back. I got an email from them that it was entered into their system on 5/23/06. I have been talking with every one there in the customer service dept. to rectify this problem for the past 6 months or so. Well atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel now.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope they do the right thing and not charge for the service.
  • Options
    So the guarenteed time started 6 months after it was sent in? sigh

in any event at least it is not lost.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    in any event at least it is not lost.

Are you sure about that? Hell, they still have to get it back to him.

I thought you could check register mail on line.

Reading things like this makes me scare to ship anything to PSA.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, heres an update from the signed Yankees ball that was lost in space at PSA. No I still havent gotten it back. I got an email from them that it was entered into their system on 5/23/06. I have been talking with every one there in the customer service dept. to rectify this problem for the past 6 months or so. Well atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel now. >>

Your update here doesn't tell us where the ball has been for the last five months......or is there another thread?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Well, heres an update from the signed Yankees ball that was lost in space at PSA. No I still havent gotten it back. I got an email from them that it was entered into their system on 5/23/06. I have been talking with every one there in the customer service dept. to rectify this problem for the past 6 months or so. Well atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel now.

Or... Did you just find out that your friend just shipped it to PSA?
  • Options

<< <i>was entered into their system on 5/23/06. >>

I was thinking the same thing...

Where did they say the ball was all this time? Lost in the Bermuda Triangle? Parallel universe? Pirates?
    Vandals? Top right desk drawer?

I remember when someone had some graded packs lost by GAI - they kept saying different things about the status - and then finally fessed up and admitted it had vaporized.

I'm looking forward to the results - things do happen I guess?

Good luck and thanx for the update
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I apologize for not being clear here. Well they had the ball the whole time. The issue according to them was that the $100.00 authenticating fee I was quoted BY THEM, turned out to be $200.00. Well I requested that the ball be returned to me UNauthenticated because my friend didnt want to spend the extra $100.00. There response was, they would ship the ball back, but they would take the return shipping costs from the 100.00 check that was enclosed with the ball. That was months ago!

The ball did make it to PSA shortly after shipping, it verified through the tracking #. That was back in November I believe. I do believe though that the ball was misplaced at their facility because I never heard they had it until weeks after it arrived there. So to sum it up, after months of phone calls and emails which I still have, the ball is in the process. They are trying to make good on it I suppose because they are authenticating it. I wonder if they will cash the check that was enclosed. I'll let you know what transpires.

• Options
    You have got to be kidding me.

all that over a measly 100.00? (that they quoted you?) unreal.

Whay couldn't they at the time, cash the check, take out the dough needed to send it back, and then issue you a refund?

Oh I know that wanted to do all that then issue you a voucher!

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    brianwintersfanbrianwintersfan Posts: 3,626 ✭✭
    A company who valued it's customers would have said we will send back your check and we will authenticate it for free because we screwed the pooch so bad. I guess we see what PSA cares about the most.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Options
    Ya know by the time it was March, I just wanted the ball back. There was no excuse for the lack of effort on their part to solve this problem. Many unanswered emails. Mr. Bridges was courteous about answering my emails. I was'nt out to get free grading vouchers or free authentication, I just wanted the service I paid for. I have sent in cards with no problems prior to and after this happend. I guess I should just stick with cards. One thing that I find odd, when I finally spoke with someone who confirmed the ball was there, they assigned 147368 as the sub#. Well that was about 5 months ago. I used to constantly check for the status of that sub# and it would show as an invalid sub#. Until 5/23/06 when it was entered in the system. I dont understand why there was no info on it sooner. Oh well, hopefully it will be on the way soon.
  • Options

Bob,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, if it was my item I would had been on them everyday until I got an answer sooner then six months.

Thanks,

Mary
  • Options
    Mary, This has been an ongoing battle for me. I havent updated the thread until yesterday only because its not interesting for members to keep reading about the lack of progress I have made. The entry of the Sub is the best news I have gotten since it has been in there hands.
  • Options
    Say what you will but PSA dropped the ball on this one(no pun intended). They should step up and do the right thing!
  • Options

<< <i>Say what you will but PSA dropped the ball on this one(no pun intended). They should step up and do the right thing! >>

Oh, your absolutely right BWF! Its just too bad it had to get so out of hand.
  • Options
    Well, just checked my email. The ball was authenticated and shipped out on the 14th. Cant wait to see it! And they did the right thing and didnt charge me anything. My friend will be happy to hear this. I'll let you know when I get it!
  • Options
    Glad to hear PSA stepped up. I have been thinking of sending in a few baseballs myself. Maybe not.......

red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options

Post a photo, once you get it.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, just checked my email. The ball was authenticated and shipped out on the 14th. Cant wait to see it! And they did the right thing and didnt charge me anything. My friend will be happy to hear this. I'll let you know when I get it! >>

Nice to hear Bob

Will you scan the ball and post?

thanx and congratulatons on finally getting the item!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    whoops i'll read the WHOLE thread before i post next time.. carry on
  • Options
    OK, So I came home to find a package on the table this afternoon. Knowing it was the ball, I called my friend and told him his ball has finally arrived. He told me I could open it. So after opening the box and weeding through the styrofoam popcorn, there was the ball, packaged in a Rawlings major league baseball box. No ball cube, no plastic case, but a cardboard box that a new ball once came in. I almost hit the floor when I saw that! So I opened the box to find the ball in a plastic baggie. The ball was ungraded, unauthenticated, and arrived in the same condition that it left in back in Nov. 05. The only other thing in the box was the submission form and the check sent for authentication of the ball.

Alot of the guys here know I am not one to stir the pot on the boards. I usually fly under the radar around here. But PSA really let me down this time. This level of service is unacceptable. They should be ashamed!

The other thing, on the submission form they wrote Return ball and dated it 5-23. Then they send me an email stating the ball is being processed. Last week I get an email stating your grades are available, and it is being shipped. WHATS GOING ON HERE?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Call them up.

Tell them you would like to chat with the cust svc mngr.

Refer them to this thread.

Talk nice.

50/50 chance they will help you.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, this is customer service going really really bad. Horrible experience.

I'm glad that we have the internet to be able to discuss these things openly and 'tell a friend'. I had about a half dozen baseballs that I was thinking about sending in. But, not sure about it now.

Good luck for you in getting this resolved!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I guess I should be thankful I got the ball back and just cut my losses. Ive never had problems with card submissions, guess I'll stick to that.
    By the way Arny, I like your line up of Drysdales in your sig line.
  • Options
    Glad you got the ball back.

You could PM Carol, or email Joe and ask them about it. Those 2 usually have an answer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Be happy you got the ball back and quit whinning. image I have not renewed my membership in a year and was going to a few months ago but I have been to lazy to re-organize after my long move from mesa az to roselle il. Another excuse not to renew.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    You email Joe a link to this thread, and the ball gets graded free I would imagine. He's not going to let this many good submittors see such a PSA boo-boo.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Glad to see it worked out for you in the end. To help out a co-worker once, I submitted a 1965 Topps Mickey Mantle that he had along with a bunch of other higher-end cards (41 Play Ball Williams, 1957 Topps Mantle, Jordan Rookie, 94 LL Arod, etc ) in on my 6 free submissions invoice. He had gotten the card from an uncle way back when, and it looked really nice (I thought it was at least a 6, maybe a 7). He was looking to sell it, and figured that it would be better to have it graded before trying to do so. I sent it on in for him, and it came back a 3. We both checked the card over when it came back to see if there was anything we missed, and neither of us could find anything wrong with it. I offered to send it back in for an explanation, but he was too upset, and didn't want to be bothered. Talk about an uncomfortable work situation!
    Who is Rober Maris?