Home Sports Talk
Options

Carson Palmer's career over ?

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    s@cks if this is for sure! he looked like the next big thing! i feel for him!
  • Options
    After tearing my A.C.L in my left knee over 3 years ago i can tell you he's got a rough road ahead of him because i remember how tough the rehab went and it sounds like he's got alot more damage in his knee than i had.

Hope he can get back on the field someday soon
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    not to hijack your thread but for those of you that watched that game and saw that hit......

what did you think? cheap shot?

My initial thought when they first replayed it was cheap shot, but when they let the replay continue and the steeler guy immediately began motioning for help for Palmer, that sort of changed my mind a bit.
  • Options
    damage was already done? maybe thats why he looked like he cared afterward? im not a fan of either team but i watch the replay over and over and its a 50/50 call!!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think his career is over since Carson didn't rely on his running to be successful. However the Bengals will probably be extra cautious with him and maybe hold him out for half the season. It usually takes 6-9 months to physically recover and probably another 6-12 months to mentally recover.

I don't expect the Bengals to have a great season next year.
    Mike
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't really tell for myself, but the announcers said at the time that Vol Olhoffen was blocked into Palmer. If that's the case, then no way was it intentional.

Steve
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Von Olehoffen isn't that kind of player - even Palmer didn't say he thought the hit was dirty, or intentional.

I hope he comes back strong - I am another person who sufferred a torn ACL a few years ago playing basketball, and the road to recovery sucks. You can definitely play again, it just takes a while to get back there. Pro athletes can make it their sole mission in life to rehab, so they have an advantage over us regular guys.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The way the doctor is putting makes it sound like he's putting himself on a bit of a pedestal - 'this injury was so severe...but *I* saved the day!'

As far as a dirty play, I don't think so, but over and over I see linemen leaping at QB's from their knees like this, and it always ends up bad...the same exact type of play is what took out Brian Griese for Tampa. You have a massive lineman hurling himself at the QB's most vulnerable spot, and its a wonder these types of injuries aren't more common.
  • Options

<< <i>The way the doctor is putting makes it sound like he's putting himself on a bit of a pedestal - 'this injury was so severe...but *I* saved the day!' >>

Yes, exactly - I got the same feeling as I read the article. Why even mention that the injury "might" be career threatening in one breath, but then say you expect him to recover just fine the next? The Doc was really patting himself on the back for this one...
  • Options
    I'm sure Von Olehoffen had every intention of hitting Carson, it's his job. I'm also pretty sure that he didn't think about letting up after the pass was thrown. I don't think anyone schemes a defense to hurt a QB, however Von Olehoffen better be careful next year in Cinci. I'm sure someone will "accidently" roll over his knee during a play.

I'm not saying it's right, but you can't tell me that the Bengals O-line is thinking about this hit. It will be even worse when they start with a lousy record because Carson is out.

I feel bad for Carson, he was the best of the young QBs.

Mike
  • Options
    I doubt the Bengals will do anything remotely a questionable hit on him...Carson's come out saying he knows it was unintentional.

And let's not forget that the backup in Cincy went to the probowl right before being replaced by Palmer...if Palmer has to miss some games, they'll be fine.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The hit shouldn't even be questioned, it was not intentional.

Carson will be back.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the hit was unintentional as well. Palmer is young enough to recover from the damage and resume his potentially HOF'er career.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't implying it was dirty. I am a Steeler's fan and always have been. One of the Bengal's was on ESPN that nite or the next day implying it was dirty.

It looked like a very awkward sort of fall for the lineman.....like he was falling from being blocked but was trying to fall into Palmer.
  • Options
    There is a lot of bad blood between the Bengals and Steelers, this hit will just add to it. Kitna is OK, but he isn't Carson Palmer.
    Mike
  • Options
    Kitna isn't Palmer (few in the league are), but let's not forget he was a pretty solid QB before Palmer took over.

The Bengals will be fine...they need to find a defense before worrying about the QB spot.
  • Options
    Kitna had one good season. He throws too many picks.

The Bengals need to address the QB situation soon.
  • Options

<< <i>Kitna had one good season. He throws too many picks.

The Bengals need to address the QB situation soon. >>

By your same logic, Palmer had just one good season, so they're really in trouble!!!
  • Options
    Well Kitna had many more years in the league to prove himself.

Carson Palmer has had only a couple of year in the leage...so only having one good year is not a dig against Palmer as it is against Kitna.
  • Options
    Kitna might not even be the QB. I believe his is a free agent this year.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think the media/doctor is hyping up the injury.

He'll be back.
  • Options
    He'll be back, but the question is when. 2006 could be a lost year for the Bengals.
    Mike
  • Options
    Kitna will be back, and Palmer will be starting.

This doctor sounds a great deal like he wants to be the one who saved the day.

Palmer will be back in time for camp.
  • Options
    Just going from my personal experience, the recovery time from this type of injury is closer to 12 months - the start of camp will be more like 7 months. And, Palmer had a torn ACL, MCL, and other knee damage...not just an ACL. He might not be 100% all next season, and that will certainly affect his confidence.
  • Options
    The Bengals will probably be extra cautious with him. I would hold him out for half the season just to be safe.
    Mike
  • Options
    I sent Carson Palmer a birthday card, but it was intercepted. Happy birthday Carson!
  • Options
    and after 4 interceptions, he was still stubborn enough to throw that rock deep. It paid off and if the Cardinals get through to the playoffs, watch out. They'll probably knock a team out in the first round.