Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Digital Camera Comments/Opinions

I know there has been many treads on digital cameras (and have read several).

I am considering the Nikon Coolpix 4600 for general use and coin pics.

I can pick up a new one of these with a 512 memory card plus assessories for around $200 on eBay.

Before I bite the bullet, I would like all of your comments/opinions.

Thanks,
Larry

Spec's below:

Nikon Coolpix 4600 digital camera offers 4.0 effective megapixels and a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens for images printable up to 11x17 inches.
With long battery life, Nikon Coolpix 4600 lets you take hundreds of pictures on one set or charge of AA batteries.
1.8 inch LCD is large and bright, making it easy to compose pictures as well as view images in playback.
Nikon Coolpix 4600 features Nikon exclusive In-Camera Red-Eye Fix to automatically corrects redeye.
D-Lighting feature automatically lightens overly dark images in playback mode.
No guesswork is necessary, as Nikon Coolpix 4600 provides on-screen help for all functions on the main menu.
Nikon Coolpix 4600 supports Pictbridge direct printing.
3x optical, 4x digital and 12x total zoom.
16 scene modes.
Silent movie mode.
Built-in Nikon Speedlight flash.
USB interface.
14.5MB internal memory.
Nikon Coolpix 4600 is compatible with Secure Digital SD memory card media, all purchased separately.
Rechargeable AA batteries and AC adapter are purchased separately.
Usable under water with separately purchased Nikon WPCP3 underwater housing.
Camera dimensions 3.3 x 2.4 x 1.4 inches/85x60x35mm.
Nikon Coolpix 4600 weighs 4.6oz./130g.
Compatible with Windows XP/me/98se/2000 and Mac OS X 10.1.5 or later, 800x600 16 bit color display, 64mb RAM and 60mb drive space.

Comments

• Options
    Go for the 5600 it has 5.1 mega pixel and should not cost much more.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I have a 3.2 mp Coolpix and that is enough for my needs. But, if the higher mp isn't much more, go for it.

Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    I wonder if the number of mega pixels really helps though. I have a 6M pixel camera but shoot in jpeg rather than RAW mode so the file size is about 1.8Mb maximum. I am finding though that I am more limited by minimum focal distance of the lens rather than anything else.

And Cosmic here is your turn to show us that wonderful lens you use

Where is that drool icon?

Dr J
  • Options
    Appearently it seems that megapixels is not a simple way to tell how high the resolution can take. Taking the instance of AMD and Intel, the two titans of making computer processors - if we are to compare their processors running at the same speed as advertised, they function quite differently in various applications. Digitial camera is no different and again this is a ploy of how manufactures want to advertise their products.

In my opinion, a standard 4 megapixels is more than sufficient, but you MUST look out for cameras with macro capabilites. Nikon is most definately an excellent example for such and Ricoh is another excellent alternative. Remember not to buy generic or outdoor cameras - those are bad for taking close up photos even though they might claim the same resolution!!!

While camera is one vital equipment, I strongly believe that you should get some decent lighting which does help to make a big difference. I have actually bought a portable florense tube holder (not too sure how it is called though) which helps a lot in the color contrast issues. Finally you should not forget a camera stand. It does help image
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options

<< <i>

And Cosmic here is your turn to show us that wonderful lens you use

Where is that drool icon?

Dr J >>

But here is where you also separate the point and shoot from SLRs. The Nikon Coolpix series are great overall compact cameras but if you want to talk lenses you need an SLR with interchangable lenses. The 150mm macro lense I use won;t work with a Coolpix.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I have the Nikon Coolpix 8700 8 megapixel, runs in the $6-750.00 range

Here are some sample pictures from a thread a while back>>>>> Forum Thread

Definetly go with a good Macro Capability.

I also have an Olympus FE-100 4 megapixel that has pretty decent Macro, but not much in the exposure control or lighting options, it was in the $150.00 range.

Oh and I have one of them ancinet Sony MAVICA FD-83s.... image

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments/opinions.

I will let you know what I decide later.

Thanks again,
    Larry