Home Sports Talk
Options

Sympathy for Vick & Clarett?

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
Kinda makes you feel real bad for the guys that had the ability to better thier lives but couldn't pull it off. It's ok though, they had hard childhoods. image

Vick & Clarett
Travis

Comments

• Options
    Nope...don't feel any sympathy at all for guys like this. They've got the world and things most of us don't get (free education, perks of being a big name player, etc). They did it to themselves. Vick will probably get a look in the NFL because of talent...his shenanigans only mean that he's pi$$ed away $$, but not the opportunity. Clarrett will (should) get jail time.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    nah ... I can't feel any sympathy for idiots
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    They're both victims.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're both victims of their own ignorance. >>

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Both players have been surrounded by 'yes' men their entire lives...they have no concept of the reality of being held accountable for their actions, as they've had people around them to clean up their messes.

Vick has the potential to play in the CFL or NFL Europe, but I don't see any team taking the risk (either with him or the PR nightmare that would ensue) on Vick to play in the NFL...probably make him show he can be a good boy, behave, not get into trouble.

Clarett and Vick had unlimited potential to make money in the NFL, if they could just not be the bullying thugs they were...but both were too STUPID to realize the opportunities they were offered, and screwed themselves again and again and again.

• Options
    They can star in "The longest yard 2": image
  • Options
    Other than the Jan 1 robbery incident, what crime has Clarett commited?

As far as I know, Clarett simply made allegations about OSU violating NCAA policies but could not prove it.

But that's not a crime is it?
  • Options
    he falsified a police report to refresh your memory.

he claimed that thousands of dollars of goods were stolen from his (probably free) car.

he was charged and pled to something on that.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Let's not forget Clarett is up on 3 counts of robbery.

• Options

<< <i>he falsified a police report to refresh your memory.

he claimed that thousands of dollars of goods were stolen from his (probably free) car.

he was charged and pled to something on that. >>

Oh I see.

I forgot about that.

Still... if it wasn't for the Jan 1 robbery incident, I would have sympathy for Clarett. I think his past bad behavior was minor.

But the Jan 1 robbery thing is major.
  • Options
    I'll agree with that RC.

He could have potentially really been something special. Now he's just a blackmark for OSU.
  • Options
    I'm in no way a "the Ohio State" fan, but Clarett is not a Black mark on OSU. He played one year, Im sure he didn't turn out bad because of that year. He will be forgotten in a couple of years like so many other "blue chippers" who screwed up a chance for a degree and maybe a pro career. Vick will be in the spotlight because of his brother.
  • Options
    The ONLY thing that these two are destined for is to wear some attractive new jewelry.

• Options
    gipper....

everytime something goes on with Clarett, we have to endure the announcers babbling about him during the OSU game. They go on and on about his allegations, his lying to police, etc...... They have rambled on about him ever since his one year. Surprisingly I did not hear a word said about him during the Fiesta Bowl this year when I was watching.

Good one MrPeter.image
  • Options
    Hopefully with this past season, which should have been his Senior year over, they will let it go. It seems like some announcers have an agenda to bring up garbage about schools to make them look bad. If Clarett had a degree and could not read that would be a black eye for OSU, but his off field stuff they have no control over. When the OJ trial was going on and they would say the former USC running back..... , it would drive me nuts. How long after a student leaves a school does the school name have to be associated with them for their bad acts.

When athletes do public service work they dont say (john doe form whatever university) donated time or money to a great cause. It seems like just the bad press is linked with a college.
  • Options
    let's not forget that when Clarett showed up for the combines (after being out for over a year), he was out of shape and listed as "SLOW" (in regards to his speed....probably mental as well)
  • Options
    I blame it all on hip-hop music videos.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    bottom line is if these guys can play they'll have a job. lawrence phillips is out of football because he doesn't have the talent for the NFL (or apparently the CFL) shanahan was arrogant enough to waste a 3rd rounder on clarett. he wasn't fast enough. how many teams kicked themselves for passing on randy moss and warren sapp.
    do you think the lakers would still have kobe bryant is he was a scrub? how about leonard little? he killed a woman driving drunk and gets another DWI a couple years later, but he is a pro bowler. "like the old saying goes every player gets treated equal, some are just treated a little more equal"
    if lawrence phillips played like tomlinson, it wouldn't matter how many women he beat up. he would be in the NFL.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread's title kinda reminds me of the Rolling Stones' song "Sympathy for the Devil"

Do I have sympathy for Vick and Clarett?

NO WAY!!!!!!!!! image

Steve
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are both complete idiots, they deserve what they get.