Home U.S. Coin Forum

Some FUN additions to my working man's Type Set

...boy it's tough to find original/quality Type material on a working man's budget...much tougher than I originally anticipated it being.

I'm trying to find original coins with decent eye appeal for the assigned grade. Without cheating care to guess the grades on the above coins?

DISCLAIMER: As luck would have it, all the coins I like were in the worst/most beat up holders. In fact the holders are so bad I'm sending them in for reholdering. So sorry about some streaks, fuzz, scratches, etc., on the holders. Enjoy the workingman's Type coins image

Comments

• JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Before you send the holders in,, may I recommend:

Go to an auto parts store and pick up a can of "NeverDull". It is full of cotton with a micro polishing compound.

It takes the scratches out with about 10-15 minutes of rubbing....while watching TV.

Did wonders for my Slabs!

-JZ
  • Nice coins there! I dont have any idea of thier grades.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I like that half!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    MS 63
    MS 63
    MS 62

Nice coins, all of them.

The shield nickel's strike is a bit disconcerting to me, personally, but all three have nice original crusty surfaces.

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS 63
    MS 63
    MS 62

Nice coins, all of them.

The shield nickel's strike is a bit disconcerting to me, personally, but all three have nice original crusty surfaces.

Take care...Mike >>

Mike, I hear you about the shield nickel. It's a trade off in non GEM+ grades. Either the front is weakly struck, or the reverse is a bit soft, or both, or the coin is heavily bagged up or covered with PVC or dipped...and it goes on and on. It was very challenging to find a shield nickel that was original but not ugly, and had decent eye appeal for the assigned grade. Personally I can deal with a bit softly struck on the reverse, but I just don't dig big hits, PVC, hairlines, etc. Like I said, it's a trade off so after looking at several 100 at the last few shows I finally found one that said, "put me in your set" image

BTW -- you're off (grading wise) on 2 coins image

At least my photos are somewhat true to life, where they don't "hide" features that would cause an observer to deceptively think the coin is a higher grade image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    does that shield nickel have a RPD?
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Ummm... 63, 64 and 63
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>does that shield nickel have a RPD? >>

It is very minor and kind of looks like strike doubling. Is there an RPD for this date?

BTW, I think I'm going to re-shoot the 5C. It has booming cartwheel luster, but looks kind of dull because I shot the 5C straight on with a light from the side. I think if I tilt the coin in to the light, the luster will come through....interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file