Home Sports Talk
Options

Love him or hate him - Is Kobe Bryant a HOF'er right now?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think he is. I believe that if Kobe retired today, he would be a HOF'er. There is no telling how much he will end up accomplishing. I think he will go down as the second greatest guard in history behind Michael Jordan.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

But he still is a punk
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he will go down as the second greatest guard in history behind Michael Jordan. >>

HOF'er, possibly, but better than Magic Johnson, Bob Cousy, Jerry West or Oscar Robertson? Not even close.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of 'em.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Johnson - maybe. But the other three couldn't even dribble with their left hand. You put Kobe up against those three, and Kobe would abolutely win hands down. I know Bob Cousey won a bunch of titles. I know Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double. I know Jerry West was Mr Clutch. But have you looked at any of those highlight films. They (as well as most of the players back then) was limited as to what they could do. They could only drive one way. The shot those little set shots that could be blocked easily. And they played against (with the exception of Chamberlain, Russel, and Kareem) 6'8" centers, 6'5" forwards, and 5'11" guards.

Just my humble opinion.

Shane

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't see Kobe being a HoFer right now.

He's had a solid career, but not the longevity in my opinion to get there right now.

I have no doubt he'll continue his pace, and run a HoF career.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see Kobe being a HoFer right now.

He's had a solid career, but not the longevity in my opinion to get there right now.

I have no doubt he'll continue his pace, and run a HoF career. >>

unless he rapes another young white girl
    or
    gets more "gangsta" than he is now, then mouths off to the wrong guy, and gets Shot.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

The game evolves and the great players evolve with the game. Oscar and West would certainly rank higher than Kobe all-time. For every criticsm of the old-timers there is a criticsm of the modern game. Kobe would have a tough time scoring considering he would be called for travelling and palming the ball every time he touched it.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I do not like him and I would say yes.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Rock smoker hes hof if he retired last year.
  • Options

<< <i>

unless he rapes another young white girl
    or
    gets more "gangsta" than he is now, then mouths off to the wrong guy, and gets Shot. >>

show me where he raped a girl...
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    He must be really happy forcing Shaq out and being the number 1 option. Gotta be great to be the head chief of a dying tribe. Good call.
  • Options
    Dirtmonkey- you are misinformed. Dr. Jerry Buss Lakers owner did not want to give shaq a long term max deal and shaq wanted more money. Hence heat have him for 4 more years. Buss wouldn't pay up. Kobe had no effect he was still under contract and going nowhere. Was a business decision and buss says he doesn't regret it(shaq is doing well nowadays, playing 50 games per year and overweight.)
  • Options
    Does anyone outside laker land really think that Kobe didn't have a prominent role in forcing out both Shaq and Phil?

And Kobe's plenty happy winning scoring titles and being the biggest fish in the pond known as LA, winning games be damned.

• Options

<< <i>Does anyone outside laker land really think that Kobe didn't have a prominent role in forcing out both Shaq and Phil?

And Kobe's plenty happy winning scoring titles and being the biggest fish in the pond known as LA, winning games be damned. >>

Shaq has like 4 former allstars on his team kobe has not one player that has been a allstar. Kobe's team is 2 games behind the heats record. Kobes team plays in the pacific with 2 of the better teams of the west. Shaq plays in the east in the weekest division in Basketball as we speak. Kobe is a mvp candiante. Shaq is overweight and hurt all the time. Shaq has run another Coach out of town in stan van gundy. Shaq has done this before. He moved penny hardaway out, he wanted kobe gone, and next he will want wade gone. Its what shaq does, he doesn't like when his former sidekicks become more popular and bigger icons in his market.

First it was penny, Shaq moves to L.A, then is was kobe, shaq moves to miami, now wade is becoming a allstar popular player. Soon shaq will want him out its destiny.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Yes - the guy is awesome. Forget about the politics. To date, it's not like baseball.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone outside laker land really think that Kobe didn't have a prominent role in forcing out both Shaq and Phil?

And Kobe's plenty happy winning scoring titles and being the biggest fish in the pond known as LA, winning games be damned. >>

Hey, as a matter of fact, there's lots of people in Laker Land that think Kobe had a prominent role in forcing out both Shaq and Phil.

As a Laker fan, I wouldn't mind seeing him get traded for some quality players in return.

Of course, Mitch KupCake needs to get fired first!
  • Options
    Bottom line, Kobe is not a very "likeable" guy to the general public. Yeah, he will get into the HOF based purely on stats and talent. But outside of Laker/Kobe fans, people generally do not like the guy.

Compare him to Majoic Johnson, or even Jordan. During their playing days, rival fans "hated" them. But that's only because they were on the "other" team. After they retired, almost all NBA fans had a favorable view of Jordan and especially Magic. Not the same for Kobe though.
  • Options
    First, Shaq didn't force van gundy out...anyone with a clear view of the situation sees this easily as Riley wanting back in the game, and is quoted as early as last july that he'd like to coach again.

Second, the Heat may have former all stars on the team, but are any of them going to ever approach those days again? Come on, you're reaching here.

Sure Shaq's overweight and out of shape...who cares, it's not like he needs to be in shape to clog the lane and put up 20 a night with dunks.

• Options
    Compare him to Majoic Johnson, or even Jordan. During their playing days, rival fans "hated" them. But that's only because they were on the "other" team. After they retired, almost all NBA fans had a favorable view of Jordan and especially Magic. Not the same for Kobe though.

Kobe retired ?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Like most people, I'm not a Kobe fan - but, he's a very good basketball player headed for the Hall.

I don't think Kobe is in Magic's league, however - as a player, or a person.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    While living in Lansing, I met Magic on quite a few occasions via Dr. Tuckers basketball camp. Believe me when I say he's an arrogant dink. I also met Kareem at a signing he had for a Sams Club grand opening about 10 years ago. Complete A-hole. I never would have guessed either would be such dickwads, but I was wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>Compare him to Majoic Johnson, or even Jordan. During their playing days, rival fans "hated" them. But that's only because they were on the "other" team. After they retired, almost all NBA fans had a favorable view of Jordan and especially Magic. Not the same for Kobe though.

Kobe retired ? >>

Yeah he did.

What? You didn't hear?

• Options

<< <i>First, Shaq didn't force van gundy out...anyone with a clear view of the situation sees this easily as Riley wanting back in the game, and is quoted as early as last july that he'd like to coach again.

Second, the Heat may have former all stars on the team, but are any of them going to ever approach those days again? Come on, you're reaching here.

Sure Shaq's overweight and out of shape...who cares, it's not like he needs to be in shape to clog the lane and put up 20 a night with dunks. >>

Your joking. Shaq when ariving to the heat said this. IF theirs one coach i want to play for its Riley. Then at the beginning of this season he said. We can't win with a coach(refering to van gundy) that has never won before.

Shaq did to kobe what he did to penny either A keep me or B keep him. I want my money and him gone or else im gone. Luckily he is old and going to retire soon so wade won't get a Screwed.

RcGuy- Lakers would never trade the best player in the league. Give that guy a solid team and they win the pacfic. Lamar odom is all he has. Smush parker- Player that was in NBDL last year. Chris Mihm- Considered a bust his whole career. And then kwame, considered the WORST #1 ever!