Home Sports Talk
Options

EAGLES fans

1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
after watching the skins and gmen play this past weekend, there is no way the Eagles will not win the division next season.

plus, the cowboys stink
collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I will bet you $50.00 the Cowboys finish with a better record then the Eagles. The Eagles have no wideouts and their defense is old and a thing of the past.

matt
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I'm not so sure I would be a confident Eagles fan at the moment. They really are lacking in the WR department, will McNabb and Buckhalter be the same after injuries, and their defense peaked two years ago.

Washington will be the class of the NFC East next season, perhaps Dallas will make some noise as well.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eagles will without a doubt in the off season effectively address their needs because they have plenty of room under the salary cap, and then win the Eastern Division next season...no problem!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not so sure I would be a confident Eagles fan at the moment. They really are lacking in the WR department, will McNabb and Buckhalter be the same after injuries, and their defense peaked two years ago.

Washington will be the class of the NFC East next season, perhaps Dallas will make some noise as well. >>

I always find it humorous when those with their crystal balls think they know what teams will be the "class" of ANY division BEFORE free agency and the draft. I would think most fans have witnessed what free agency and the draft can do for teams who are salary cap healthy.

With that said, I would be optimistic if I was a Eagle fan. DRAFT, FREE AGENCY, HEALTHY CAP equal any possibility! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>I will bet you $50.00 the Cowboys finish with a better record then the Eagles. The Eagles have no wideouts and their defense is old and a thing of the past.

matt >>

I think the operative word is "yet."

We'll see who they acquire in the offseason.
  • Options
    The reasoning is simple really...highly intelligent owner, highly intelligent front office, and a highly intelligent coach. And all very motivated and eager to win a Super Bowl. Proven success just falling slightly short in the past seasons and this season decimated by injuries...an easy call for a nice turnaround season coming up - take it to the bank.
  • Options
    Question for all. Why is everyone counting the Cowboys out? Put aside your hate for the Cowboys and give me a logical explaination. I agree that anything can happen in the NFL. A sorry team the year before can win the division the following year, thats proven but the fact remains the Eagles have a ton of issues to address. I just dont see them winning the East next year.

matt
  • Options

<< <i>Question for all. Why is everyone counting the Cowboys out? Put aside your hate for the Cowboys and give me a logical explaination. I agree that anything can happen in the NFL. A sorry team the year before can win the division the following year, thats proven but the fact remains the Eagles have a ton of issues to address. I just dont see them winning the East next year.

matt >>

I attribute the Cowboys lack of success to Bill Parcell's deal with the devil. He is the Incubus.

There is no other logical explanation for a guy who grew up near NYC, coached at West Point and the Giants.....and then somehow believes that coaching the Cowboys is OK.

I expect that one day his head will split open and an alien will reveal itself. image

If not he at least deserves to have a wildly itching weeping rash for the rest of his days.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Question for all. Why is everyone counting the Cowboys out? Put aside your hate for the Cowboys and give me a logical explaination. I agree that anything can happen in the NFL. A sorry team the year before can win the division the following year, thats proven but the fact remains the Eagles have a ton of issues to address. I just dont see them winning the East next year.

matt >>

I attribute the Cowboys lack of success to Bill Parcell's deal with the devil. He is the Incubus.

There is no other logical explanation for a guy who grew up near NYC, coached at West Point and the Giants.....and then somehow believes that coaching the Cowboys is OK.

I expect that one day his head will split open and an alien will reveal itself. image

If not he at least deserves to have a wildly itching weeping rash for the rest of his days. >>

Come to think of it he does resemble an alien. Hey can we get Jimmy J. back?

matt
  • Options

Oh, Philly would love to see Johnson back with the Cowboys. That would make it all worthwhile.

Seriously I think the NFC East will be back as the most competitive division next year. Gibbs, Parcells and Reid are making sure of that. The Giants may be another year off.
  • Options
    Buckhalter is all but gone. Moats and Westbrook will provide lightning, and the Eagles will add some thunder - love to see Lendale White.

WR's - pre-TO the Eagles never had anything special. Jurevicious or Moulds would be nice.

Defense - old? nahhhh ... it has been interchangeable every year for the past 5 years, and they always are good.

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Does any Eagle fan ever think why the Eagles are always so far under the cap?

it's because the team ownership is so damn cheap with every one of their players not named McNabb. That reason alone is why none of his teammates stood up in the media to TO and said 'McNabb is our guy - TO can go to hell'.

Why do Eagle fans think this ownership is suddenly going to spring big money for free agents? And just who do you see becoming available in the WR market that's going to make an impact? I don't see a single difference making free agent WR that will be available, and what big name is going to go to Philly where their veterans are rewarded not with open arms, but with walking papers?

• Options

The Eagles do not bow down to every player who threatens to leave for more money elsewhere. Loyalty is rewarded and rightfully so.

This seems to be a trend in the NFL, like the Patriots. Maybe it's what professional sports needs. Salaries are out of hand and teams are held hostage by players wanting contract renegotiation after every good year.

What's wrong with coming in under the cap? Smart businessmen save a little for leaner times when money is needed. Maybe the Eagles will spend some in this offseason as when they picked up Kearse a few years ago.

Some would say that the NFL owners are engaged in collusion, but it will be hard to prove.
  • Options
    <<< it's because the team ownership is so damn cheap with every one of their players not named McNabb. That reason alone is why none of his teammates stood up in the media to TO and said 'McNabb is our guy - TO can go to hell'. >>>

In case you haven't figured it out yet, as even 5 years old NFL fans know, EVERY winning program has player turnover similar to the Eagles. The Eagles win, the players start thinking they are worth more money and so get discontent.

Name me one, just one ex-Eagles star player during Andy Reid's tenure who wasn't re-signed by the Eagles who really had a major impact with a team after he left? Corey Simon? - played decent and helped the Colts but had 0, count 'em 0 sacks for the season.

The Eagles have a basic strategy that works - pay players based on future performance, not on past performance. The Eagles will stick to that strategy - it's tough sometimes to let a player go who has performed well in the past, but if that player is seemingly on the downside of his career, and wants too much money based on what he has done in the past - he will be an ex-Eagle. Cold?...Yes...but efficient and as far as me being a fan is concerned...I want a winning team, not a team full of old veterans who can't do enough to win. The Eagles are not cheap...they are smart!
  • Options
    Why do Eagle fans think this ownership is suddenly going to spring big money for free agents?

I don't think they are going to spend big money. TO wasn't big money at first, and certainly not this past season ... it was all backloaded, and they released him. Had he been a good sport he would have made a lot more than he will make the next few years.

And just who do you see becoming available in the WR market that's going to make an impact? I don't see a single difference making free agent WR that will be available, and what big name is going to go to Philly where their veterans are rewarded not with open arms, but with walking papers?

I think there are PLENTY of "difference making free agent WR's" out there. Moulds is one of them.

Philadelphia management continues to demonstrate they can bring in players. It has been that way for years and when they are done, they release them. Other than the Patriots, they have been the most successful franchise in the league. Sometimes big name guys (see TO) do not make a difference.
  • Options

<< <i>The reasoning is simple really...highly intelligent owner, highly intelligent front office, and a highly intelligent coach. And all very motivated and eager to win a Super Bowl >>

Exactly how many Superbowls has that gotten the Eagles so far?
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

I think there are PLENTY of "difference making free agent WR's" out there. Moulds is one of them.
    >>

Do you honestly think Moulds will be a difference maker? Honestly?

<< <i>
    Philadelphia management continues to demonstrate they can bring in players. It has been that way for years and when they are done, they release them. Other than the Patriots, they have been the most successful franchise in the league. Sometimes big name guys (see TO) do not make a difference. >>

Most successful? Like the above poster, how many super bowls have they won with this strategy?

And TO didn't make a difference? Hmm I seem to recall the Eagles getting to the super bowl only once (the year with TO). I can't think that any Eagle fan, deep down, doesn't wish they still had TO on their team.

• Options
    Do you honestly think Moulds will be a difference maker? Honestly?

Game breaker - no. Good addition - absolutely.

First off, TO was out in the playoffs. The Eagles reached the same mark w/o him - home field and a bye. It was the NFC Championship hurdle they needed him for, and won w/o him. No doubt, I was ecstatic with his signing and now I am glad he is gone - really and truly am. The Eagles were a great team before him, and will be so post-TO. (Rumor has it Tampa or the Jets are going to trade something for him before 3/1 .... )

Exactly how many Superbowls has that gotten the Eagles so far?

Exactly zero ... but that's not the point. The point is that as a team they have been hugely successful. From a fan standpoint, I would take a Super Bowl and three seasons of torture but even a Super Bowl is not guaranteed. I am confident in team management, as most Eagles fans are. They will continue to put a contender on the field, and capable coaching will see that they make the post season. They will next year.
  • Options
    The interest in tampa is supposedly being generated because Clayton and Simms said they would welcome him if he were to sign - but I doubt with all sincerity that he'd ever be welcomed. They are saying it because if he were to somehow sign, they don't want to be on record as saying 'we don't want TO here'. Tampa management has had issues with problematic receivers before (Meshawn, Meenan McCardell) and there's no way they want a problem 100 times bigger. Plus, it would wreck any chemistry those young players (Simms, Clayton, Caddy) have developed.