Home Sports Talk
Options

If you could pick any current coach..

Who would you want to coach your team. Im gonna go with a suprise pick and take....

Marvin Lewis..

WHOS YOURS AND FOR WHAT TEAM.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a doubt I would pick Bill Belichek for my Patriots.
  • Options

<< <i>Without a doubt I would pick Bill Belichek for my Patriots. >>

Nice pick hes #2 on my list.
  • Options
    Bill Parcells to the 49ers.

dgf
  • Options
    Belichek.......image
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    In order: for my team the Jets.

Parcells
    Belichek
    Gibbs

I like those older guys.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    For the Steelers, I am very happy with Bill Cowher. Seems like he has been around forever, too...

Other than him, I would go with Belichick, Gibbs, Dungy, and Andy Reid in that order.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without a doubt I would pick Bill Belichek for my Patriots. >>

• Options
    So far so good with Nick Saban, lets see how he handles the draft.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Saban's been a monster in Miami...he took a team with absolutely no direction and led them to a very respectable showing. I'm surprised he didn't make more noise in the coach of the year voting - though I suspect his hatred of the media had something to do with that.

Does everyone not a tampa fan think that Gruden's not a great coach? There's the common (though incorrect) assumption Dungy won the super bowl, but let's not forget (a) dungy NEVER got to the super bowl and (b) Gruden's previous team made it to the super bowl too. So it's not like he doesn't know how to coach. He took a team this year that EVERYONE predicted would finish with yet another losing record (including yours truly), and led them to a division title in a VERY competitive NFC south.

No disrespect to Belichek, but there are some great coaching jobs being done.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Gibbs
    Belicheck

Both masters
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< Does everyone not a tampa fan think that Gruden's not a great coach? There's the common (though incorrect) assumption Dungy won the super bowl, but let's not forget (a) dungy NEVER got to the super bowl and (b) Gruden's previous team made it to the super bowl too. So it's not like he doesn't know how to coach. He took a team this year that EVERYONE predicted would finish with yet another losing record (including yours truly), and led them to a division title in a VERY competitive NFC south. >>>

Gruden is a wimp. It is impossible for a wimp to be a great coach.

I like Andy Reid - I'll stick with Andy Reid.
  • Options

<< <i>Gruden is a wimp. It is impossible for a wimp to be a great coach.

I like Andy Reid - I'll stick with Andy Reid. >>

Talk about a wimp...Andy Reid would much rather eat a dozen philly cheesesteaks than show some sac and challenge a player like TO.

Gruden is as intense and fiery as they come...I am more than happy he's our coach.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gruden is a wimp. It is impossible for a wimp to be a great coach.

I like Andy Reid - I'll stick with Andy Reid. >>

Talk about a wimp...Andy Reid would much rather eat a dozen philly cheesesteaks than show some sac and challenge a player like TO.

Gruden is as intense and fiery as they come...I am more than happy he's our coach. >>

Andy Reid is an excellent football coach. Your STUPID comment about Philly cheesesteaks highlites your clueless nature.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Andy Reid is an excellent football coach. Your STUPID comment about Philly cheesesteaks highlites your clueless nature. >>

And how many super bowls has he won? HMMM?

• Options

<< <i>
    And how many super bowls has he won? HMMM? >>

Oh is that your one and only little barometer you use to judge a coach Axy ? I suspect it is, to go along with the one and only little brain cell in your empty hollow head.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    No softie skull,

But one wonders why Reid with his supposedly incredible coaching ability, with all the opportunity a coach could ask for to get to and win the super bowl, he's never closed escrow.

• Options

<< <i>No softie skull,

But one wonders why Reid with his supposedly incredible coaching ability, with all the opportunity a coach could ask for to get to and win the super bowl, he's never closed escrow. >>

Reid and his leadership got the Eagles in the POSITION to win year after year.

• Options
    Jimmy Johnson handed Barry Switzer a Super Bowl team on a silver platter the same way that Tony Dungy handed Jon Gruden a Super Bowl team on a silver platter. Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl - so I guess you may think Switzer was also a great NFL coach when "everybody" knows he was pathetic. Gruden of course is better than Switzer was but that isn't saying much. Gruden plain & simple is at his best being an offensive coordinator - not a head coach.
  • Options

<< <i>Jimmy Johnson handed Barry Switzer a Super Bowl team on a silver platter the same way that Tony Dungy handed Jon Gruden a Super Bowl team on a silver platter. Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl - so I guess you may think Switzer was also a great NFL coach when "everybody" knows he was pathetic. Gruden of course is better than Switzer was but that isn't saying much. Gruden plain & simple is at his best being an offensive coordinator - not a head coach. >>

If you want to use that as an excuse, what would you say about Gruden's Raiders making the super bowl that same year? By your reasoning, the Raiders were there because of Gruden, right?

• Options
    <<< If you want to use that as an excuse, what would you say about Gruden's Raiders making the super bowl that same year? By your reasoning, the Raiders were there because of Gruden, right? >>>

Come on now...Al Davis puts his Raiders teams together for better or worse. Gruden had little or nothing to do with putting together that Raiders team, the same as all Raiders head coaches through the years under Al Davis.
  • Options

<< <i><<< If you want to use that as an excuse, what would you say about Gruden's Raiders making the super bowl that same year? By your reasoning, the Raiders were there because of Gruden, right? >>>

Come on now...Al Davis puts his Raiders teams together for better or worse. Gruden had little or nothing to do with putting together that Raiders team, the same as all Raiders head coaches through the years under Al Davis. >>

Wow it must be awful to live in a world as bitter as that...but then, when your team falls apart after having 4 golden chances at super bowls, and comes up short, you're going to be bitter of the golden boy Gruden.

Not giving Gruden any credit for either team is beyond ridiculous...it ventures into lunacy.

• Options
    <<< Not giving Gruden any credit for either team is beyond ridiculous...it ventures into lunacy. >>>

I gave him credit - for being an offensive coordinator, and of course he uses his offense strategies as a head coach. Owners hire him for his offensive coordinating skills, not his head coaching skills because his coaching skills suck. He has little respect from many of his players as a head coach. If you remember he was with the Eagles as an offensive coordinator, I think it was for 3 years, and the players walked all over him. The players still to a large degree walk all over him. I always laugh when I see videos of his pep talks to the players before a game or after a game - the players aren't even paying attention to him. Players do pay attention to Andy Reid!
  • Options

<< <i> Players do pay attention to Andy Reid! >>

Really? How much attention did TO pay to Andy Reid? TO's the only real superstar player that team's had, and he walked all over Reid too. McNabb is his boy, so he doesn't have to worry.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Players do pay attention to Andy Reid! >>

Really? How much attention did TO pay to Andy Reid? TO's the only real superstar player that team's had, and he walked all over Reid too. McNabb is his boy, so he doesn't have to worry. >>

Trotter another eagles player got into it with Reid also..
  • Options
    <<< Really? How much attention did TO pay to Andy Reid? TO's the only real superstar player that team's had, and he walked all over Reid too. McNabb is his boy, so he doesn't have to worry. >>>

<<< Trotter another eagles player got into it with Reid also.. >>>

Every head coach "gets into it" with some players sooner or later and that even includes Lombardi on those great Packers teams. Some football players by nature are bullying types and eventually try to bully their coaches as well. Some head coaches handle these situations well and some don't - it's certainly not easy especially if the owner perceives that these certain types of players are more important to the team than the head coach.

Andy Reid has never been afraid to confront a player one on one and handle the situation. From what I've seen and read Jon Gruden tends not to be confrontational and tries to ignore these types of players. In my view that makes Gruden's style of coaching "wimpy" but that doesn't mean it can't be successful because Gruden has obviously won games.

Gruden had the Keyshawn Johnson thing and Reid had the Terrell Owens thing. Reid in my opinion could have handled Keyshawn Johnson and Johnson would have still been an Eagle if he had been playing there. Owens is an aberration - he is uncontrollable by anybody - Lombardi couldn't have controlled that freak.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Gruden had the Keyshawn Johnson thing and Reid had the Terrell Owens thing. Reid in my opinion could have handled Keyshawn Johnson and Johnson would have still been an Eagle if he had been playing there. Owens is an aberration - he is uncontrollable by anybody - Lombardi couldn't have controlled that freak. >>

Again with the spin!

Gruden set a precedent with Keyshawn...I can't recall any player ever being sent home from the team for being detrimental to the team. Gruden did what he could to work with the guy, and Meshawn wanted to be a big shot, so he got sent to his room.

Why are you so determined to paint Gruden as a 'wimp'? Have you ever seen the guy on the sidelines? The guy is as fiery and determined as any head coach I've ever seen.

You say he had no hand in the Raiders going to the super bowl, because Al Davis does all the personnel decisions? Why, then, had the Raiders organization been in such a mess for so long BEFORE Gruden got there? Gruden built that team from garbage to perennial playoff contenders, and let's not forget they were one tuck rule away from going to the super bowl. I guess that was all Davis' doing, too?

Gruden is a great coach, and to suggest otherwise is jealousy to the utmost extreme. He took a Raiders team that was in shambles prior to his arrival....and is it coincidence that the Raiders have fallen to the cellar of the NFL since he left? Hey, Davis is still there, right? The only variable has been Gruden: the Raiders thrived while he was there, and SUCKED both before he got there and after he left. Coincidence?
  • Options
    <<< Coincidence? >>>

Yes.
  • Options

<< <i><<< Coincidence? >>>

Yes. >>

I guess ignorance is bliss.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><<< Coincidence? >>>

Yes. >>

I guess ignorance is bliss. >>

Axtell, you're right...I just plum forgot about all those coach of the year awards that Jon Gruden has won.
  • Options

<< <i>

Axtell, you're right...I just plum forgot about all those coach of the year awards that Jon Gruden has won. >>

Jim Haslett has won the award...Dick Jauron has won it....Dave Wannstedt has won it....Wayne Fontes has won it.

You'd rather have any one of these 4 guys before Gruden? You are going to say yes, so why do I ask?

The only award I give 2 craps about for my head coach is the super bowl award - he's got one, Reid doesn't. Next question?

• Options
    <<< Jim Haslett has won the award...Dick Jauron has won it....Dave Wannstedt has won it....Wayne Fontes has won it.

You'd rather have any one of these 4 guys before Gruden? You are going to say yes, so why do I ask? >>>

I don't want any of them and that includes Gruden. I'm happy with Andy Reid. You can have your boy Gruden.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I don't want any of them and that includes Gruden. I'm happy with Andy Reid. You can have your boy Gruden. >>

So you continue to deny Gruden as a great head coach...that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But to suggest on one side that Gruden inherited the team he won the superbowl with, then deny that it was his work that got the raiders to the superbowl is just ludicrous.
  • Options
    <<< So you continue to deny Gruden as a great head coach >>>

Possibly on this entire planet only you and Gruden's mom would consider Gruden a "great" head coach. I doubt if even joestalin would call Gruden a "great" head coach.
  • Options
    If Gruden was the coach of the Eagles and he'd won a super bowl, you'd be falling all yourself with how great a coach he is.