Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880-O Morgan, MS63

Greetings all:

I posted late last night about my aunt's collection, which consists primarily of coins that she purchased for far above book value. I came across 2 1880-O morgan silver dollars, sealed and graded at ms-63 by ngca. She paid $595 per coin in '94. When I look it up in the red book, that coin lists at $1600. I'm posting for any feedback to let me know if I am reading the book correctly and that these particular coins have some value.

The rest of her coins are valued far below her basis, so I do not know how to interpret this particular situation. I'm hoping she got lucky . . .

Thanks much -- Trent

Comments

• Post pics of what you have- this board is well enhanced on such quality Morgans.

NGCA? Is this the Numismatic Grading Coins Association?

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trent:

Current retail price these days in MS63 is $300-$325 each.

I'm not familiar with NGCA grading company, but in general, I believe grading standards of those days were different than they are today, so you may have trouble finding willing buyers for those coins at those grades.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Thanks for the quick feedback. As stated, I am a complete rookie at this. The coin is sealed and graded by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America. The label and bar code above the face reads 1880 O S$1, MS 63, 342292-046.

I cannot yet post pics. When I look this coin up in the Red Book (local coin dealer recommended as a reference guide), I now realize that it is the ms-64 which grades much higher. The guide says $300, which is consistent with the overpayment history in this collection.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Trent
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trent:

Ahh... the grading company in question is commonly known today as NGC, which is one of the best grading firms in the business.

One thing you need to know about the 1880-O date -- there are a handful of scarce varieties that can significantly impact the value. If you get a chance, post large clear pictures of the date area and of the eagle's tail. If there's anything there, you'll hear about it from this message board.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file