Home Metal Detecting
Options

Beach gold (x2)

Last week California had some good storms on the coast so I decided to go out for a little
exploring...

I got out to the beach, decked-out in my rain gear (was kinda windy and rainy that day)
and walked down to the water line with my Minelab Sovereign (hip mounted) and my
stand-up beach scoop.

The area where I started was producing deep coins (at least 3 sand scoops for each target)
and maybe one target for every ten feet. After recovering about 10 targets (mostly coins and
a nail once in awhile), out popped a nice man's gold band with what appear to be diamonds.
Rather than dropping it into my pouch, I put this one into one of my pockets that has a
zipper (thinking how awful it would be to find something like this and then drop it out there).

About 10-15 feet from the first ring (and a couple targets later) out pops a second ring. This
one looks like a custom ring that is designed like a flower. = six stones that appear to be
diamonds and a red stone in the center (maybe a ruby?)

I worked this little area (about 20 x 60 yards) for about an hour (or a little more) and had to
head out... Total targets from the hunt was probably 30-something, with about 20 coins, a
few nails, some other trash, and the 2 rings. (incredible trash-to-treasure ratio)

My wife had prepared a special dinner that night (steak!) She was sure surprised when I
placed these two rings on the table. Out of all the things I've found detecting, I think she
likes these two rings better than anything else so far. The woman's ring is marked 14k and
the man's ring is marked 10k. I'll need to get the stones tested and report back later...

This was a fun way to start 2006. Hope it's a successful year for everyone!

Happy hunting,

Rick image

Comments

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Wow very nice image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!!!
  • Options
    Nice digs Rick! It's nice having so many people on the boards that are able to get out during the winter months.

Keep up the good work!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Bunker, Phut, and GR!
    I may not be posting much of anything the rest of this year due to child #3
    due in our house (8 weeks from now, but who's counting image).

HH,

Rick image
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Wow thats a nice hourly wage there! You just know those stones have got to be real! image
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Riccar, thanks for the story and pics. Those are the, too few, sweet MD trips. How will you test the stones? Take them to a jewler?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey Joefro! sure hope so!!!

COTC-
    That's what I'm planning. The detecting club that I belong to has a diamond
    tester, but I'm not sure how a ruby is tested so I figured I'd need to go to a
    professional jeweler to have these checked out. Glad you liked the recount/pics.

HH,

Rick image
  • Options
    Some sweet gold !!!!

Well done on Winter MD!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Thanks TKC! Those winter storms can turn up the good stuff that was buried
    super deep...

Rick image
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    That really is a great treasure-to-trash ratio, considering you were also digging for rings!
    That scoop reminds me.. I need to get a better one myself, the one I have now is too short - tough on the back.

Edited to add: I hope to give those rings some competition for the January polls as I'll be spending the next two months mainly in Denmark (Copenhagen)

This move should be just enough south to enable some digging image, temperatures have been around the freezing point..
    It's always a bit tricky detecting abroad when one doesn't know the details about MD legislation, and asking for permission gets a bit more complicated. Therefore beaches are the easiest pick for a quick hunt...
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Hi Zot,

Yes, I had actually just set the detector on "all metal" so I could get max depth and
    swing a little faster. That stand-up beach scoop is awesome... saves your back and
    arms. I use it like a shovel so my foot does most of the work kicking it into the sand.
    (I do have a small hand scoop but that's my back up)

By the way, I still like the look of that ring in your signature line... Hope you have
    continued success in '06 and looking foward to reading more of your posts!

Rick
  • Options
    Wow! All-metal mode would usually mean a pulltab/bottle top parade over here (also in the waterline)!
    By the way, I edited my post with some competitive info while you posted your reply.. imageimage
  • Options
    Great finds!
  • Options
    Nice finds Riccar

Rubies being one of the dirtier stones can usually be authenticated, with a 10X loupe,, since they are in essence red sapphires look for black specks and or fractures inside from the table and girdle of the stone,, if they are to clean its possible that they are cultured(man made).

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, Rick! image

I went beach hunting last, night!

I found... nothing!

Then we went to a tot lot and found some change and my buddy found a little heart-shaped pendant (trinket). It was his first time swingin' a detector. All I got was some clad.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice dig's Ric!!Man those are sweet looking ring's.HH,Tom
  • Options
    Thanks Zot,
    Interesting thing can happen after the big storms... all the "light" items are swept
    away, the sand bar lowers, and you get to the heavier items. Past beach detecting
    I have found pockets of pennies or dimes (and bottle caps) but during this outing,
    I was pulling mostly quarters and heavier trash items like nails and even an old
    rusted out pocket knife. Hope you sweep up the gold at your new beach sites!

Mercurynut- thanks!

2bits,
    Thanks, I'll trying using my best magnifying glass and check the stones out to see if
    I can find the specs/impurities.

Thanks LM,
    Yes. I've noticed the beach can be "feast or famine"... but mostly famine during the
    trips I've had. The first time I took a detector out to a beach I think I walked away
    with 11 cents. Conditions, location, competition, timing, etc... you know.

Thanks Tom,
    Trying to keep up with you! (good job on the gold last year)
  • Options
    By the way, thought I'd post this pic that I found for Zot...

This is the kind of spot where you most likely won't find pull-tabs or bottle tops:
    (most targets are heavy stuff that sank deep!)

• Options
    Nice rings Rick. I can't wait to find out if the stones are real!!!!

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    Thanks Joey, I had a guy private message me and tell me that he found the same
    men's ring, had it appraised, and depending on the clarity (if mine are diamonds)
    it should be somewhere between $800 - $1,500!!! Of course I won't get my hopes
    up since they could turn out to be cz's...

Anybody know a good jeweler in the Bay Area that they would recommend? image
  • Options

<< <i>This is the kind of spot where you most likely won't find pull-tabs or bottle tops:
    (most targets are heavy stuff that sank deep!) >>

Good grief!
    Where's that drool icon...?