Home Sports Talk
Options

How is FSU ranked in the final poll and Michigan is not?

They BOTH have 5 losses for the year
and BOTH lost their bowl games, but come on

how is FSU ranked 23rd in the final poll after losses to Virginia 26-21; NC State 20-15; Clemson 35-14; Florida 34-7; Penn State 26-23

while Michigan is Unranked in the final poll after losing to Notre Dame 17-10; Wisconsin 23-20; Minnesota 23-20; Ohio St 25-21; Nebraska 32-28 and BEATING #8 Penn State W 27-25

No way FSU should be ranked.

And Michigan got ROBBED!

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Q. What's the difference between a Michigan Skunkbear fan and a puppy dog?
    A. Eventually, the puppy dog will stop whining.

Just another example . . .

-detroitfan2, Michigan State University Class of 1987

• Options
    the point is actually less about Michigan not being ranked, and more about how the heck that FSU managed to GET ranked after losses to FOUR different PATHETIC UNRANKED PATSIES and their bowl game!

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    detroitfan,

You can make that comment but the truth is MrPeter is right. Michigan should be ranked light years
    ahead of FSU. The Wolverines at least played a real schedule while FSU got a gift appearance in
    the Orange Bowl.

aconte
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It is a valid point, but with the criminoles sneaking into a BCS game with their 4 losses means their loss is somehow worth more, so they get ranked higher.

Too bad the people who vote for these things don't actually watch the games.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Guys,

My previous post was just good-natured hatred. image

I agree with you about FSU and Michigan. I don't understand how FSU can be rated with 5 losses, even though I think they can play with anyone (as can Michigan). The few times I saw FSU on TV (especially against Va Tech), I couldn't believe they had ever lost with that defense.

I think the 2005 FSU and Michigan teams are great examples of just how fine the line is between winning and losing in college football today. Michigan could have realistically been 11-1 instead of 7-5. Or, they could have easily been 4-8 (losses to Penn State, Iowa, Michigan State, although admittedly they dominated MSU).

Someone made a good point in another thread about how Penn State has its best team in probably a dozen years (1 second away from being undefeated) and FSU has probably it's worst team in who knows how many years (20+), and basically they were dead even when they played on the field.

Maybe this is an obvious statement, but you have to win the close ones these days if you want to be a top 10 team. Gone are the days when the #1 teams seemed like they could beat some NFL teams.

Peace,

Tom