Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: JANUARY, 2006 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best Coin/Jewelry/Relic/Wildcard

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for this month's four Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The four "quality" award categories are:

Best Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member. If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

Best Coin/Token: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds only, though- if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item.

Best Jewelry Item: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though).

Best Relic/Other: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

Best "Wild Card" Item: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    For the Coin category, I'll throw in my 1881 Indian cent, found on January 5th.

(Sorry for the wretched pics).

Link to January 5th's outing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Best Jewelry for January:

14k gold woman's ring (stones are cz... "just as good as a diamond" image)

Post with details.

• Options
    Best Jewelry:

10k gold man's ring with real diamonds.
    All 7 diamonds add up to almost 1/4 carat.

Post with details.

• Options
    Best "Wild Card" Find

22 LR Bolt action tube fed? I never saw one of these. I have seen simi auto with a 18 round tube feed, but not a bolt action.
    The barrel is heavy and has a loop for a sling.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wild card: small prehistoric shark tooth fossils found at a boat ramp near my house recently.

UPDATE: found three more that week.

Wild card: early 1800's broad hoe found and discarded by another relic hunter- was on top of the ground when I found it, so I spotted it before my detector did.

• Options
    Here is my nomination for best coin/token. It is a Jeton from Hanns Krauwinckel II, master 1586, died 1635.
    So somewhere between 1586-1635. This isn't my oldest coin (well, it really isn't a coin afterall, but I still consider it that) that I have found, but the oldest found where you can still recognize what it is.

I can't get a picture of the reverse to load right now, but I will get that pic on soon.

Thanks for looking!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Well, there goes any chance my Indian cent had. image

That's good, though- I wouldn't wanna win with a mere 1881 Indian cent. That jeton is almost sure to get my vote later when the polls are up, unless one of our other dig gods chimes in with something truly amazing. image

PS- note the elliptical clip on the planchet, there. Neat, neat, neat. A truly enviable find.

• Options
    Well, there goes any chance my Indian cent had.

That's good, though- I wouldn't wanna win with a mere 1881 Indian cent. That jeton is almost sure to get my vote later when the polls are up, unless one of our other dig gods chimes in with something truly amazing.

LM,

Don't worry, someone (ZOT, Phut, Dino-uk, etc) will surely chime in at the last minute with a gold coin or some other ultra old, knock your socks off, pristine detail of a coin.

You know how we track the amount of silver coins we find? I bet Dino probably tracks his gold staters the same wayimage He is continually finding those spectacular finds. I would have thought being only 15-20 minutes down the road from him, I may happen to stumble across one of those finds already, but nothing other than the Jeton and the old Roman that isn't distinguishable. I will keep the good hunt going though right up until I leave.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yes, Dino seems to have wrested the title of "Goldzilla" away from Millennium.

• Options
    Just thought while we were talking about Speer's Jetton...
    I would show you this dug (yes dug) old English Jetton which dates from 1280-1343.
    This is exactly as it came out of the lovely sandy soil of Norfolk UK.
    This is not an entry to anything, as I dug it in 2003, but I'm still amazed at what can be dug here in the UK.
    Speer...you know you can come hunt with me whenever you wish. image
    Me? I'm perfectly balanced...got a chip on both shoulders!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Here is my entry for best coin:

1850A 50 centimos

for best relic this old bullet

HH,Tom
  • Options
    I would like to enter My 14K crucifix in the best Jewelry catagory.

Thanks
    Rick

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Wildcard Entries...

Im over here in Japan... and the change here has obviously been here for a while (on base). I have not received over 10 state quarters... so those probably came from people coming here... but I have found these in the past week...

1953 D Roosevelt Dime
    1958 D Roosevelt Dime

the 1953 was found in change... and the 1958 was found on the floor in the barracks

Edited to add: I will try and get a couple pics of them together later on this week.
  • Options
    Here is a couple for best relic

Eagle I cuff button

This 1850's-1860's Chinese button

HH,Tom
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Here is something I found today, although I still haven't dug a wheatie!

Wildcard entry:

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    Chinese opium tin for best relic

HH,Tom
  • Options
    For Relic/Other Category, my silver (plated) pocket watch found 1/10/06.

Likewise for Relic/Other, my Civil War/Indian Wars General Service Eagle cuff button found the same day (in a different, but nearby park).

(Somebody on the Troy Detectors forum suggested to me that this "Chicken Eagle" type button is postwar and dates from the Indian Wars period just after the Civil War. That sounds plausible to me since I knew the eagle was a different style from other Civil War eagles I've dug, but the backmark index in the Albert book dates that backmark to 1859-63, so who knows).

For the Coin category, also from January 10, back in the square where I found the watch, this 1889 Liberty nickel which is still undergoing "conservation" in my rock tumbler (ergo, no good pictures yet).

(Man, I sure thought I had my first two cent piece, there.)

Link to January 10th outing.

• Options
    Best coin 1874 seated dime

HH,Tom
  • Options
    Another for best coin

1867s seated dime

• Options
    Sundays School yard find for best Jewelry .

7" .925 Ladies/Girls Braclet

Thanks
    Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    I don't have a picture, but I eyeballed a $20.00 bill on the floor of the local supermarket. Do I need a picture to enter it? I'd like to enter it as my Wildcard find.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have a picture, but I eyeballed a $20.00 bill on the floor of the local supermarket. Do I need a picture to enter it? I'd like to enter it as my Wildcard find. >>

image Just send me the $20.00. I will take photos and send you the photos for posting. OK? image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't have a picture, but I eyeballed a $20.00 bill on the floor of the local supermarket. Do I need a picture to enter it? I'd like to enter it as my Wildcard find. >>

image Just send me the $20.00. I will take photos and send you the photos for posting. OK? image

Jerry >>

LOL...sure thing....
  • Options
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    For the jewelry category:

Zot's 14k gold ring
    Link to original thread
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit embarrassed to enter this, but Speer needs some entries to compete (=kick butt) against

Non-US coin category:
    Zot's corroded Danish 25 Öre 1924
    Link to original thread
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    i believe this was a good wildcard find. i went to the bank to change in pennies and asked about two dollar bills. this is what they gave me.
  • Options
    heres what i found
  • Options
    Keep tryin', gene...

• Options
    TTT

Any late entries? I'll be posting the polls in a few days.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have a coin but will wait to clean and take pics...
    Lunch hunt find but I'll warn you... it's one of those "only a mother could love" coins image
  • Options
    Here's my entry for best coin:

1908-S Ugly Duckling Barber Dime

(original post)

• Options
    This seems to have been my month for harmonica reeds and partial pocket watches.

Old Waltham pocket watch movement with porcelain dial.

Found on the night of January 31/February 1, 2006.

Actually, it was probably 1:30 AM on February First when I dug it, so never mind- do not enter it in January's polls. I will put it in February's when the entry threads are up. After all, I already have a partial pocket watch entered already. Too bad this one is smaller than the other, or I could combine them and make a complete watch!

• Options
    the wild card find i had been given at the bank was a gem crisp 1976 2 dollar bill.

gene2393
  • Options
    another thing probably in the wild card catagory found was a 1962 d sillver roosevelt dime