Home Sports Talk
Options

Brad Childress Named Vikes coach.

Eagles o-coordinator that doesn't call plays good job ziggy

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an Eagles fan, I'm not sad whatsoever to hear this. I was actually hoping that Childress would leave - I think some new offensive game plan ideas are needed by the Eagles. Childress is a nice guy though and I wish him luck with the Vikings, except when he plays the Eagles.
  • Options
    funny thing is he doesnt call and of the plays or gameplan, he basically coaches the qbs. Andy reid does it all.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice I didn't state any opinion about how Childress will do. I really have no idea. Of course with hiring NFL head coaches like this, it's a crap shoot anyway.

Here's his resume pasted from the Eagles website:

One of the league's brightest minds on the offensive side of the ball, Brad Childress is working in his seventh season as an Eagles assistant coach and his fourth as the team's offensive coordinator.
    The 49-year-old Childress was named to his current post on April 10, 2002, and has had his contract extended twice since then, the latest through 2008.

"I do believe that Brad is one of the top assistant coaches in the National Football League," said head coach Andy Reid. "He's done a great job and he's going to get rewarded for it sooner or later [with a head coaching opportunity]."

One of the staples of Childress' offensive philosophy is holding onto the ball. In 2003, the Eagles established a team record for fewest turnovers in a season (22). The Eagles matched that total in 2004 and over that two-year span rank 3rd in the league in that category behind the NY Jets (36) and Indianapolis (37).

After successfully employing a three-headed monster at running back in 2003, the Eagles offense utilized the skills of Pro Bowl WR Terrell Owens and a multi-talented back in Pro Bowl RB Brian Westbrook in 2004. As a result, the offense set franchise records in QB rating (96.4), completion pct. (61.4%), and gross yards passing (4,208). Along the way, QB Donovan McNabb set franchise records in QB rating (104.7), completion pct. (64.0), and passing yards (3,875).

"There are a lot of different ways to win a football game," Childress says. "You have to be open-minded. Innovate and adjust, play to the tools you have. We've done that here. We have different personnel now than we had in the past. You need to utilize what you have."

Childress' group set a team record with 415 points in 2002 despite starting three different quarterbacks. After McNabb and Koy Detmer went down with injuries, the Eagles turned to little-used A.J. Feeley, who compiled a 4-1 record down the stretch.

The club's QBs coach from 1999-2001 (he was hired one day after Reid was named head coach on January 11, 1999), Childress is credited with the development of McNabb. Under Childress' tutelage, McNabb learned the intricacies of the West Coast offense as a rookie and has become a five-time Pro Bowl selection and a perennial MVP candidate.

Prior to joining the Eagles, Childress orchestrated one of the nation's most productive offenses at the University of Wisconsin, where he served as offensive coordinator and QBs coach from 1992-98.

During his eight-year tenure at Wisconsin, the team played in five bowl games, including Rose Bowl victories over UCLA in 1994 and in 1998. In 93, the Badgers set a school record and ranked fourth in Big Ten Conference history with 455.2 yards per game. QB Darrell Bevell (QBs coach at Green Bay), RB Ron Dayne, and WR Lee DeRamus all flourished under Childress.

A graduate of Eastern Illinois, Childress began his coaching career with a seven-year stint at Illinois. It was there that WR David Williams set a Big Ten record for receptions (101 in 1984).

Then, after spending the 1985 season assisting with the quarterbacks on Rod Dowhower's Colts staff, he returned to the collegiate ranks for the next 13 seasons with stops at Northern Arizona (1986-89) and Utah before moving to Wisconsin.

It was during the first of his three seasons as offensive coordinator at Northern Arizona that Childress first worked with Reid. He also worked with Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan and Eagles assistant head coach Marty Mornhinweg at NAU.

Childress and his wife, Dru-Ann, have four children: sons, Kyle (20), Andrew (16), and Christopher (15), and daughter, Cara (22). Born 6/27/56 in Aurora, Ill., Childress attended Marmion Military High School.
  • Options
    Gonna wait till I see the Vikes in action next year.

Cant be any worse, thats a FACT!
    Am I speaking Chinese?