Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees add infield depth, pick up Ramiro Mendoza

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like Cairo, he can play any of the infield positions. Mendozo though? He has not been effective since the World Series champion Yankees.

ESPN:
Miguel Cairo returned to the New York Yankees on Thursday, finalizing a $1 million, one-year contract.

The 31-year-old infielder spent last season with the New York Mets, hitting .251 with 19 RBI. He was with the Yankees in 2004 and became the starting second baseman during the second half of the season. He hit .292 with 42 RBI and wanted to re-sign, but the Yankees wouldn't give him a two-year contract and instead signed Tony Womack, who quickly lost his starting job to Robinson Cano.

Cairo will back up Cano, first baseman Jason Giambi and third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

New York also agreed to a minor league deal with right-hander Ramiro Mendoza, who returned to the major leagues in September following shoulder surgery in January. He pitched one inning, on Sept. 1, and manager Joe Torre said Mendoza still needed to get arm strength back to be effective.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Cairo will be nice to have back. Good guy, knows his role. Mendoza I just dont know about. Seemed he just has nothing left. If he can get that sinker working again maybe he can get a few big outs, but otherwise I couldnt see him meaning much.

-------
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I agree, it's nice to see Cairo back

As far as Mendoza, I think he will spend most of his time in the minors unless there is injury...I think he is more like a little bit of insurance just to have the coverage if needed.
  • Options
    Now wait, wait....I cant stop laughing here ... image

The Bosox are to sign JT Snow after a physical...

why am I laughing so hard? I think it has something to do with Bosox fans putting down the Yankees for signing a 32 year old player and we know the rest of the story...(Snow is 38!)

Sorry, just found it a bit amusing!

On the serious side of it, Bosox did need a decent first baseman after Olerud announces his retirement. They will get that in Snow...kinda.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Are the red sox planning on paying jt snow 13 million per year?

Just checking....as I didn't see anyone saying signing a 32 year old was bad, but signing one to a 4 year deal at 13 million per was.

But then, live in that yankee fantasy land you call home.

• Options
    Axhole, you are MUCH to easy to call out! LOL That statement was for you! Ignorant A$$....
  • Options
    Ax, do you ever talk about your own team ? Do you have one ? I see the M's logo, yet you never talk about them.....hmmmm. Do you even watch sports, or just come on here to diss everyone who does ? Do you have access to cable or satellite to watch the games in your mothers basement ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    yes I am the only one who questioned the yankees signing 32 year old damon to a 4 year, 52 million deal. clown.

bri, don't hate because I called you out for being a bandwagoner, not just with the yankees, but with friggin manchester united, too. I bet you like the lakers too, hmm?

my mother's basement? please...you're going to try to use that (emphasis on try).

You both are clown loving yankee 'fans' who say they like the yanks, when all you care for are the number of world series titles they've won.

• Options
    Ax
    Everyone here knows you are the clown of the CU boards.
  • Options
    BIG.........FAT.......YAWN......image

------
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    And everyone knows you're a front running buffoon.

I'd rather be thought a clown and express my own opinions than follow a team simply because they've won the most world series.
  • Options
    You dont have opinions...you only have your propoganda
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wait a minute - this thread is about the Yankees signing a broken down and basically washed up Ramiro Mendoza, and a very average and unspectacular middle infielder who can't hit much (that would be Cairo), yet the Sox signing JT Snow makes Yankee fans laugh?

The logic at work here, or should I say, lack thereof - never fails to amuse me.
  • Options
    CT
    I just said that because I knew it would get things going. Like I said, I understand that the Sox need a good 1st basemen...which JT Snow is very sound at defense and can also hit.
    And I dont think anyone is disagreeing that Mendoza is broken down...but a hopeful backup if any injuries occur in the Yanks bullpen.
  • Options
    So yankeeno you get called out by someone other than me, then it's 'I was just trying to get things going around here'?

Clown.
  • Options
    You dope Ax...go back and read...I said that the VERY NEXT POST after you responded to my post.
  • Options

<< <i>You dope Ax...go back and read...I said that the VERY NEXT POST after you responded to my post. >>

What the hell does this mean?

You made an idiotic comparison of Damon to JT Snow, then when the ridiculousness of it is called into question, you say you only posted it for me?

Moron.
  • Options
    Yeah, I knew I would get some idiotic remark if I tossed that out there. So I am entertaining myself with your Yankee hatred...hahaha