Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

helmar - my favorite set of 2005..

is probably the Helmar Brewing cards.. plus the potato chips are pretty good.. i think it's a 74 card set, so far i have 55 or 56 different cards i think.. and some beer bottle caps, and a Christy Mathewson beer bottle label..

the cards came in bags of tater chips.. (1 pack per bag, 3 cards per pack)..

the set has boxers and baseball players (including negro league, house of david baseball, and japanese baseball players)..

the cards are VERY thick.. probably as thick as most "game used" cards ive seen..

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

every card ive seen has "chipping" on the back like this one (this one actually has pretty minor chipping)..
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice set Perry - I assume it would be classified under the food issue sets.

I didn't look at the sets closely this past year - so many products has made it impossible for me to get excited.

I used to buy a few packs of each product, just to see and feel them for myself. Don't do that anymore.

I liked the Heritage set last year and I have always been a fan of Bowman and Bowman Chrome.

This year will be interesting with less companies doing baseball.

Thanx for sharing - the cards have a nice vintage feel - the pastel tone takes me to the early 1900s.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    G. Anderson - Benton Harbor, what is up with him?

Stingray
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yeah i didnt follow many sets this year either, the only ones i can think of are heritage and this one.. i didnt try to put together the heritage set, but i opened a buttload of it!..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed. wish I knew about them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>G. Anderson - Benton Harbor, what is up with him?

Stingray >>

lol.. thats how those dudes rolled.. check out "bearded babe ruth"..

·p_A·
  • Options
    Man, those are some good looking cards!

I could have gone without seeing them - I'm really low on funds right now. image But thanks for sharing...
    << image >>
  • Options
    Those are pretty sweet cards, what does the potato chip bag look like, this way I can keep an eye out if I see one.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I recall seeing an article on some site about this set. If if recall correctly is the company in Wisconsin or Minnesota? The strangest thing if found out about this set is the company is not going to release a population report. You could have a 1/1 and not even know it.
  • Options
    Their website has some great t-shirts with T202s and Turkey Reds.

T-shirts

• Options
    Do you think PSA would holder these?
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think PSA would holder these? >>

i doubt it, not until they decide to make thicker holders..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I recall seeing an article on some site about this set. If if recall correctly is the company in Wisconsin or Minnesota? The strangest thing if found out about this set is the company is not going to release a population report. You could have a 1/1 and not even know it. >>

from my experience, there are definitely short prints.. i dont know how many were printed at all, but i know some have been harder for me to get than others..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

From the website it looks like there is no checklist available for the cards.
  • Options
    I did a search on ebay, heres a guy selling alot of 600

Lot of 600 Helmar cards

Enjoy.
  • Options

<< <i>I did a search on ebay, heres a guy selling alot of 600

Lot of 600 Helmar cards

Enjoy. >>

yeah, but notice its not really 600 helmar items, the guy is also counting 300 Pete Rose reprints of some kind..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This set has caught on big-time with the guys in OBC. A bunch of them bought cases of the chips, sometimes one of each flavor. The biggest comment, other than how cool the cards are, was the utterly terrible collation. I don't know about population reports, but some guys were getting upwards of 20 of certain cards per case, and none of others. IIRC, the long haired dudes were part of a House of David subset (maybe the whole Benton Harbor team is/was Jewish?), but I could be wrong about that.

Geordie
  • Options
    Never knew Fidel Castro was a catcher! image

• Options

<< <i>Never knew Fidel Castro was a catcher! image >>

actually, he was a pretty good pitcher from what i understand.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Perry you just cost me $81. I had to buy a set and the guy that was selling them for $50, is now selling them for $75. They are awesome looking cards and I figured that it would cost me a hell of a lot more than $81 delivered to put together the 74 card set piece buy piece. I am figuring a set is a set, so I will be pissed if the Cool Papa Bell card is missing.

Also, I find it wierd they put Joe Jackson on Cleveland as he spent as much time on the ChiSox and they included 4 other members of the 1919 ChiSox.

I actually just looked up Joe Jackson and I wasn't aware that he played in 1920, a year afetr the Black Sox scandle. And not only did he play, he hit a measly .382 in 146 games.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    the set should come with 2 Shoeless Joe cards, one for the White Sox and one for Cleveland..

yeah, i'd say with the collation as bad as it is, you're better off buying the set instead of putting it together..

i bought several small lots when they came out, and was able to sell off duplicates, and that helped me make some money back towards my set, keeping the costs pretty low.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Good info on the House of David team:

http://www.peppergame.com/
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

From that link. The first paragraph:

<< <i>The Israelite House of David, a religious community, was established in Benton Harbor, Michigan, in 1903 by Benjamin Purnell, along with his wife Mary. >>

Mary? Not exactly the Israelite name.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    anybody got any of these? i need a few to complete my set.. willing to buy any of the names below..

Bittle, Dennis
    Carnera, Primo
    Cobbin
    Dihigo, Martin
    Flick, Elmer
    Foster, Rube
    Greb, Harry
    Hamilton, A.
    Harrison, D.
    Kaiser, Cecil
    Malarcher, Dave
    Rixey, Eppa
    Walker, Percy
    Washington
    Youngs, Ross
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>anybody got any of these? i need a few to complete my set.. willing to buy any of the names below..

Bittle, Dennis
    Carnera, Primo
    Cobbin
    Dihigo, Martin
    Flick, Elmer
    Foster, Rube
    Greb, Harry
    Hamilton, A.
    Harrison, D.
    Kaiser, Cecil
    Malarcher, Dave
    Rixey, Eppa
    Walker, Percy
    Washington
    Youngs, Ross >>

ttt
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually just looked up Joe Jackson and I wasn't aware that he played in 1920, a year afetr the Black Sox scandle. >>

I believe all of the guilty players played in 1920. It must have taken a while between hearings and courts to get the final verdict handed down.
  • Options
    *** my updated want list ***

will be happy to purchase the cards, and i have like 4 or 5 duplicates i can trade..

Dennis Biddle
    Martin Dihigo
    Elmer Flick
    Rube Foster
    Harry Greb
    A. Hamilton
    D. Harrison
    Eppa Rixey
    Washington
    Ross Youngs
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I thought it about time to pull up Perry's (and quickly becoming mine as well) favorite cards of the last several years Helmar Brewing.
    I took the following from Helmars web site for a little background on these beautiful cards..........

"Trading cards of Famous Athletes are included in selected packages of Helmar brand snack items. Look for Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson and other athletes on the package.
    The trading card series, which is ongoing, was first distributed June of 2005 in parts of Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
    Helmar plans to continue this series and build on this set over the long term."

Since the 2005 release of the first series of Helmar cards which included "House of David' cards Helmar has issued a 2007 series set which is just as beautiful as the 2005 1st series. They have also released some very nice silks and crowns as well as carriers,labels and stickers.

Here are a few pics of the 2007 2nd series set...........

From what I have heard there were only 250 sets produced of the 2nd series, Which includes other cards besides baseball

imageimage

We now also know that Psa has slabbed a few of these cards. Anyone up for a Helmar set Registry ??

• Options

<< <i>We now also know that Psa has slabbed a few of these cards. Anyone up for a Helmar set Registry ?? >>

i saw some slabbed and they use those ugly gigantic holders, and i thought they looked ridiculous.. im gonna keep mine all raw.. plus, the cards are really condition sensitive, ive never seen one i could call "MINT" because they all seem to have chipping on the back..

also, i'm down to only 2 cards now for the 2005 set.. i still need:

Washington
    Rube Foster
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    My local shop has a bunch of these unopened if anybody wants me to get some. I think they are a buck or something like that.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I started reading tennessee's post and got all excited when he said "Helmar Brewing". At this point I'm think, you buy beer and you get cards? That's fantastic! Then I read further and got very very sad. Then I came up with a great idea- you buy beer and get cards! I think that's reason enough to start a brewery. Who's coming with me?
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I started reading tennessee's post and got all excited when he said "Helmar Brewing". At this point I'm think, you buy beer and you get cards? That's fantastic! Then I read further and got very very sad. Then I came up with a great idea- you buy beer and get cards! I think that's reason enough to start a brewery. Who's coming with me? >>

I'm in! I love beer..um, I mean cards. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

CDsNut Brown Ale?
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Our motto: "Beer so good, I wanna dip my balls in it!"
  • Options
    Just a matter of time until Lee's boys are joining in the party. Secret receipe, perhaps?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I really want to build that '05 set, it's very cool. I had never heard of the set until this thread.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I'm PMing with Chris right now to see if he wants any, but I just called the local shop and asked about price on what they have. Mentioned they have the 1st series packs and they are unopened and selling for $1.35 if anybody else is interested.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    How many cards are in a pack?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    one of those house of david guys that pitched has a record of 92-10,stuck babe out twice in one game,they were an amazing ballteam,i want to go to their museum, only 2 of them are left alive out of all of the 4 or 5 traveling teams they had-i emailed the museum curator in benton harbor mi and hes going to get them to auto some stuff for me,they dont have any helmar brew here in wv,a few distributors in oh and pa,i want to buy beer and get cards-i like that concept,the bottles/caps and packs the beer come in even have ballplayers on em from what i saw on their site
    +1 for beer with cards in itimage
    i saw a set of 2007 reg ones on ebay last night and some of the 2007 silk ones,they are pretty wild looking!
  • Options
    OK, sounds like I need to go and get some from the shop at lunch. Chris is confirmed for 10, Randy, how many do you want? Bryon, you still thinking? Anybody else? I'll leave in about 30 minutes.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

PM sent.
  • Options
    i just bought a 2007 set off ebay,couldnt resistimage,easier than trying to put on together
  • Options
    sweet pickup Randy!
  • Options
    2007 helmar set

hopefully this link will work-this guy i got the 2007 set off f has a bunch of singles from both series as well,i saw somebody with the 2007 silks on ,it might have been him too-hes got a lot of helmar stuff
  • Options
    now i only need the 2005 1-75 image i hate it when i find something thats really cool, my credit card co loves it though!
    i knew i saw something called a silk on ebay, i found em,pretty cool looking!
  • Options
    Just to let you know, a few of us have taken a gamble on a guy with Series I Helmar sets for sell off of eBay. He's asking $55 delivered and he throws in a bonus item usually. If the transaction goes well and I get my product as described, I'll post here and let everyone know. He has between 5 and 10 sets left for sell, so it might be a more practical way to obtain this set.
  • Options
    I got my 2005 Helmar set today, Thanks for the help guys !

The seller also sent me an un-opened pack, Seems like a good night to bust it !!

• Options

• Options
    result of the pack rip...........Perry if you need any of these PM me your address.

• Options

Ripped a few packs myself earlier today. These cards have charm in bunches.

• Options