Home Metal Detecting
Options

2005 additions to the Digger's Diary

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entire Digger's Diary list

2005 finds from the list:

274. 1903 Indian Cent: Indian Cent # 36 (2nd of this date)
275. 1931 Mercury Dime: Silver Coin # 175, Mercury Dime # 57 (Epworth "Mini-Cache" coin 1)
276. 1942 Mercury Dime: Silver Coin # 176, Mercury Dime # 58 (4th of this date, Epworth "Mini-Cache" coin 2)
277. 1945 Mercury Dime: Silver Coin # 177, Mercury Dime # 59 (3rd of this date, Epworth "Mini-Cache" coin 3)
278. 1947 Roosevelt Dime: Silver Coin # 178, Silver Roosevelt # 50 (2nd of this date, Epworth "Mini-Cache" coin 4)
279. 1952-D Roosevelt Dime: Silver Coin # 179, Silver Roosevelt # 51 (4th of this date, Epworth "Mini-Cache" coin 5)
280. 2000-P Sacagawea Dollar: Sacagawea Dollar # 1 (1st dollar coin of any type)
281. 1890 Indian Cent: Indian Cent # 37 (4th of this date)
282. 1908 Indian Cent: Indian Cent #38
283. Undated (circa 1935) Magician's "Lucky" Token (Green River Whiskey): Old Token #21
284. Undated (circa 1870-1920) Octagonal Trade Token ("Co. M / 6th Infy.", 5 cents): Old Token #22

That's only ten coins in the "keeper" category. But I'm much less active than I was in the 1990's. I used to go out three or four times a week- now it's only five or six times a year. Oh well. I still have fun when I do get out.

If it weren't for that miniature cache of silver, I wouldn't have been silvered at all in 2005. It wasn't a terrific year but it was pretty good considering how seldom I went out detecting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Nice addition's to the diary LM.HH,Tom
  • Options
    The infantry token is sweet. Any idea what it's worth? The only tokens I've found relate to Chuck E Cheese.
  • Options
    I've still yet to figure out what that Infantry token's all about...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Very cool LM, keep this going. It's always fun to browse through (and more than once!)

Rick image
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    how do you guys get permission to dig in places like that?
  • Options
    Very nice Lord. Keep it up! I remember and still like that Indian Head

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Those are some sweet finds! I really like the tokens also. Im guessing that is private property in the pic? What timeframe?

Remember: Its lucky to drink whiskey!

Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    The first picture is a public park, Halifax Square, in Brunswick, GA. It was laid out in 1771, but most of the houses around it date to the 1880's and 1890's.

Looking north. The 1903 Indian cent was found in the background of this picture, an hour or so after I shot it. Note the car and the house with the columned veranda.

Looking east. Halifax Square is bisected by Prince Street, which has a median strip in the middle of it. See the palm tree in the median with the spiky trunk? I found a gorgeous 1894-O Barber quarter beneath it, a few years back.

Looking south. This area really looks good but it is oddly clean and devoid of signals. I have never found much on the southern half of the square, except along the curbs and the tennis court to the right of this picture. I actually found a nice hotspot there. But the open area in this shot has not rewarded me yet. I think Steve has found a large cent and a silver dollar there, back many moons ago.

The five-piece silver cache was found at the Epworth Methodist Center, shown below in a borrowed picture. Epworth sits atop an old plantation site on the Frederica River. The house at the left side of their picture is a surviving slave cabin from the old Hamilton Plantation, circa 1800. The modernistic chapel in the middle sits in front of a grove of live oak trees, beneath which are picnic tables. I found the silver cache in there. To the right of the small gazebo thingie on the right, I have found a lot of older coins, from the plantation period.

The rather blurry closeup shot of the 1890 Indian cent in situ was shot at a newly-cleared relic site out in the boonies, in the Crescent region of McIntosh County, GA. This is typical of the sort of site relic hunters go for down here. First we look for naked dirt, then oyster shell, then glass and pottery, then we know we're near an old house site. I found this site and knew I was first on the scene- the 'dozer was still parked there. Some old pottery told me to run for the detector. I ran in all-metal mode, and soon the nails started showing up. I found the biggest concentration of nails before switching to a low discriminate setting, when I knew I'd found the homesite.

The 1908 Indian cent and the two tokens were found during Round Five of our Virtual Treasure Hunt II, at Southwood Manor in Ridge Spring, SC. It's a B&B- my wife and daughter and I were on our summer vacation! The innkeeper graciously allowed me to hunt the property. The house only dates to 1918 but there was an older house there before that. The town goes back into the 1760's, I think. Think we'll return there one day. Not only is it a lovely place to stay, it was fun, too. Here's a tip to you folk who travel- I have not once been refused permission to hunt one of these old B&B's when I was a paying guest! Plus the accomodations are usually nicer and the service more personal than a regular hotel. Just get a private bath, if that matters to you.

Here's part of the huge semicircular carriageway in front of the house. I found the tokens and other stuff just outside the right frame of this picture. (And just outside of the left frame of the house picture above).

Some other cool stuff, like the front plate off a very old padlock and a musketball, hinted at even older goodies yet to be found, but alas, my time ran out and I found no silver or noteworthy coins- just the tokens, a few Wheaties, and the Indian cent (I'd also found an 1890 Indian near where the 1908 came up, on a previous visit). There are goodies yet to be found in that yard- I'm sure of it. LOTS of goodies.

• Options
    Some cool stuff from LM as always. Love the pics, too.