Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

OK,,,,,it's 2006 already,,,,,,,UPDATE 2005 Coins NOW required!!!

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
When will PCGS require 2005 coins in the Registry? Last year they required 2004 coins in late Decenber if I remember right? What is the hold-up?

Thanks, GrandAm, image

GO COLTS 14/2 image

SUPERBOWL BOUND imageimage
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    They should be required this week!!!
  • Options

<< <i>When will PCGS require 2005 coins in the Registry? Last year they required 2004 coins in late Decenber if I remember right? What is the hold-up?

Thanks, GrandAm, image

GO COLTS 14/2 image

SUPERBOWL BOUND imageimage >>

You are right, I believe the 2004 were required around christmas last year.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    2005 coins have been canceled for lack of interest. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>2005 coins have been canceled for lack of interest. image >>

If only that were true.... modern haters lol!
  • Options
    Modern hater?? No..
    Just hate the fact that Satin Finish has pushed the true business strike coin from the Registry sets. image
    Dan
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hate the fact that Satin Finish has pushed the true business strike coin from the Registry sets.
    This comment makes me take note of two facts.
    1. Business strike PCGS MS67 State Quarters sell for more than PCGS MS68SF State Quarters. Wonder why?
    2. Wonder how many dealers are holding stocks of Business strike coins for some time in the futher when both become required for the registery.
  • Options

<< <i>Just hate the fact that Satin Finish has pushed the true business strike coin from the Registry sets.
    This comment makes me take note of two facts.
    1. Business strike PCGS MS67 State Quarters sell for more than PCGS MS68SF State Quarters. Wonder why?
    2. Wonder how many dealers are holding stocks of Business strike coins for some time in the futher when both become required for the registery.
    image >>

I really hope that they do not get included in the registry sets for one simple reason: money! I love to collect mint sets, I don't know why its just y favorite thing to collect. Collecting 22 coins is fine by me but 44 per year? That would be ludicris! I could see PCGS doing a variety set where all of them would be required but actually requiring them for the mint sets and such would be IMO very lame and might drive me away from these sets. However with that said I have to agree that this is a very tough decision and I am glad that it is not mine to make!
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    This is getting CRAZY!!!

Do we have to wait 'til next year to add last years coins? image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked my Modern Commemoratives and 2005 coins are now required!!!! image

GrandAm image

GO COLTS!!!!! 14/2 image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not so fast.....

Still not required for Jefferson Nickels or state quarters.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Only the Business Strike Commemoratives...the proofs are still optional.
    I don't understand what is going on.
  • Options
    Quarters and Kennedys have not updated yet.
  • Options
    I've got a PCGS ms-68 2005P Lincoln business strike that will show up on eBay towards the end of the week if anyone's interested and wants to make me an early offer on a 1 of 3 top pop. (oh how I wish they would require the business strike.)
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Washington Statehood Quarters, Circulation Strikes (1999-Present)

Lincoln Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1909-Present)

Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1938-present)

Roosevelt Dimes FB, Circulation Strikes (1965-Present)

Kennedy Half Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1964-Present)

Sacagawea Dollars, Circulation Strikes (2000-present)

Could this be the hold up,

<< <i>Circulation >>

Satin Finish coins are

<< <i>Circulation >>

Strike image
  • Options
    You will not see a satin finish coin in my set of halves, yes it may take me awhile to get a true circ business strikes in there but I can't put a 98 SMS coin or 65-67 SMS coin in it so why are they allowed now -yes I'm going to be a rebel on this one for I just feel they don't belong.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    Well it seems pcgs is at an impasse with the satin finish coins. I wish they would make up their mind. Seems to me this is an easy call, split the sets, 1 strictly with business strikes, and a variety set which includes satin finish or sms coins. What's so hard about this?

edited to add: Why hold all the modern circulation registry sets back because the mint decides to play games with the strike in the mint sets? The registry is pretty clear in the category lists as shown mas:

• Options

<< <i>Well it seems pcgs is at an impasse with the satin finish coins. I wish they would make up their mind. Seems to me this is an easy call, split the sets, 1 strictly with business strikes, and a variety set which includes satin finish or sms coins. What's so hard about this? >>

They are in my sets, where is the impasse? The easy call is to allow regular mint set coins in the sets for 2005 just like they did for all of the other years.
  • Options
    good morning doubledie 55. They are in the sets, but they don't count yet, at least not in my shq's.
  • Options
    Nor in mine, but I really don't think they would allow them in the spot for most of a year, and then dis-allow them now.
  • Options

2005 Mint set coins are Circulation Strike? I thought the coins found in the 2005 mint sets where Satin Finish, image

I was unaware Satin Finish coins where produced for circulation in 2005. Maybe I should go get some rolls of SF coins from my bank, is this possible image
  • Options
    So mint set coins should never be allowed in any of the sets. Interesting concept.
  • Options

<< <i>So mint set coins should never be allowed in any of the sets. Interesting concept. >>

Make a statement and twist things up but no answer, image

Are Satin finish coins Cirulation Strike?

• Options
    Why is it so hard for some to admit that these are not the everyday mint sets from past years?
    They are closer to the SMS sets of 65-67, and are no where near business strike in any way.
    Mint set coins? ??? Yeah, SATIN FINISH (ie SMS) not the true mint sets from the past that were business strike.

Anyone who can't see the diff. between business strike and SMS coins, needs to find another hobby. They sure don't have the eye needed for this one.
    Dan
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    > Are Satin finish coins Cirulation Strike?

They are not Proof coins image
    There are only two categories in Set Registry now, Proof Strikes or Circulation Strikes. Since it is not a Proof Strike, it should be in Cirulation Strike sets unless a new category is created.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    My point exactly, sort of. That is why I thought maybe add a variety set to those series that don't have them, and include them in the series that presently have a variety option. You then get the choice to have your sms coins in a registry set, and at the same time still have the option to have a strictly business strike collection should you desire. Some of us have spent good money on the business strike coins, but if they allow the sms coins in without changing the current way they weight these coins, then why bother getting the rarer, more valuable business strikes in top pop??? Seems to me it would be easier to go with a variety addition than to redo the way the coins are weighted within a set. And just maybe pcgs would be able to make a whole bunch of us happy at the same time. This is just my "2 bits" tossed out there for thought. image
  • Options

<< <i>There are only two categories in Set Registry now, Proof Strikes or Circulation Strikes. Since it is not a Proof Strike, it should be in Cirulation Strike sets unless a new category is created. >>

Registry set categories are not the point here.
    You know, I know, every Tom, Dick, and Harry knows these are not the business strike coins for 2005.
    The problem is by putting them in the " Roosevelt Dimes FB, Circulation Strikes (1965-Present) "
    you have no place for the true "CIRCULATION STRIKES" in the sets.
    Same goes for all the Basic Set, Circulation Strike sets.

There are more than two categories. Have a look at all the mint set categories.

What about the true circulation strike coins? You remember those coins, the ones the Federal Reserve sends out for circulation, the ones that built this hobby?
    So put the Satin Finish coins in Registry mint sets for 2005, thats fine with me. They are THE mint set for the year 2005, and thats where they belong.
    But my Registry category says ..Circulation Strikes (1965-Present).

You can also stick one in your ear and call it a hearing aid, but that don't make it so.

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>I would think the billions of regular coins would far out number the few satin coins from mint sets. >>

From another post

dbldie55
    reading on another post, looks like you do agree there is a differance? Just can't get you to fess up, Can I go to my bank and pick up some rolls of SATIN FINISH coins?

<< <i>So put the Satin Finish coins in Registry mint sets for 2005, thats fine with me. They are THE mint set for the year 2005, and thats where they belong >>

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

modern crap

sb
  • Options
    Here we go again...Why don't you go play with your dirty OLD PENNIES and let us play with our SHINY NEW ones! image
  • Options
    What did they call a 1909 penney in 1910?
    MODERN CRAP™
    And yes smoe collect the new stuff.
  • Options
    Seems like it's time to S__t or get off the pot. Make a decision and get on with it.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Seems like it's time to S__t or get off the pot. Make a decision and get on with it.

imageimageimage

Amen brother!!!! Any decision, good, bad or indifferent, is better than this waiting not knowing what direction the sets are going to take.
  • Options
    This is getting old. Even the proof sets do not have them required (and had no special finish). I am betting PCGS is grading 2006 proof state quarters already, and yet they are not requiring the 2005 yet.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    None of the Sac's since 2000 have been released for circulation; so the only true circulation strike Sac's are the 2000.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I don't see any 2005 dates in my Registry sets image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    What's up now? My set of shq's shows the 05 quarters w/o the optional next to them, the set at 100% but I have 3 spaces, and the point total hasn't changed. Hmmmm.... I guess someone will figure this out, I'm out the door or late for work!!!!

Hmmmm.......Musta caught them in the middle of the change this morning since all coins are required now, and they count towards the total set score. But they took the easy way out. 05 coins, both sf and business strikes, weighted the same. So now its just a numbers game, w/o regard to the rarity of the coin. What a crock! You buy a ca-d in 69 sf, pop 35/1 vs a business strike in 68, pop 13/0 and the more common of the two counts the same, but brings the actual set up to a higher overall score!!!! Lets get real. I wonder, does this mean you can now add sms coins from 65-7 in those circ sets also????? I guess I am gonna have to take those lowly rarer business strikes out of my set and insert those overated more common satin finish coins to get back into the top 10. NOT real happy right now......imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

Added to show my disgust with pcgs' decision:

Set pulled!!! I think this the wrong way to weight these harder to find business strike coins. At first I put the sf coins in, but then I realized I was just too disgusted with this whole mess. Maybe tomorrow or next week or whenever, I'll cool down and rethink this. Mas is correct in his view of the sf coins. If these really do fit into the set description of "Washington Statehood Quarters, Circulation Strikes (1999-present)" (and the cent, nickel, dime, half dollar, Sac $ sets for that matter) then we better start seeing the sms coins from 65-7 included in their respective sets as well. We already know that isn't going to happen. So count me out of your game. Maybe its time to just sell these
    off and move on to something new.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Free at last, free at last, the 2005 Sacagawea dollars are free at last -
    Well at least they are now required in the registry sets instead of being optional.

Circs
    Proofs