Home Metal Detecting
Options

permission to dig

I know its obvious that you need permission from the landowner before you detect and dig on private land, but what about detecting and digging on public land places like ballfields, playgrounds, school grounds, and state parks?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to ask. It's not difficult, and having permission lets you slow down and enjoy your hobby. There is a world of difference between knowing you have the right to be somewhere as opposed to feeling like you're breaking the law (which you may very well be). Ask, write down who you spoke with, the date and time you spoke with them, and the phone number you used to contact them. Keep a small list in your wallet.

And never put faith in anything people tell you online regarding permission (including what I just wrote). Always find out for yourself by speaking to the people who oversee that piece of property--public or private.

Detecting in certain areas, like battlefields and some state & national parks, can get you thrown in jail, and your equipment, detector, and even your vehicle confiscated. Saying that "someone told me in a chatroom that I could detect this park" isn't going to keep you out of jail.

Get permission, no matter where you detect.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Konsole public park's are great place's to hunt,especially the older one's.Asking permission for those you do not,the only thing you need to do there is make sure you don't leave any hole's and take all your trash out.The reason I also say this,is you may ask and the person you ask may not know anything and just tell you no.
    The one thing I would check into,is if you need a permit.Some county's here in California have Detecting permit,that you must have on you when hunting the park's in those county's.If you don't have it on you,they will give you ticket.
    As for Federal land's,don't even think about it.You will be tossed into the slammer faster then you can blink
    For school's I never have any problem's,I only hit them on the weekend's or when the kid's are out.
    Tot lot's(playground) are a great place to find lot's of clad and jewelry.
    State park's I would ask for those,some you may and some may be off limit's or may have only a limited area where you can hunt.HH,Tom