Home Metal Detecting
Options

2006 has started the right way for me!!!!

Here are most of my finds for the day. I did have quite a bit of trash, but it was discarded. The coin in center is actually a Jetton (15-16th century) and the coin to the right of it is what I think is my first roman. I am trying to get confirmation on that on another site. I have found four other coins off of this field dating between 1890-1950. I'm not sure what most of it is (some of it may be junk for all I know) but when I find out, I will let you know.

LM,

Hopefully, I have completed half of my assignment. Also, some one else mentioned to me that the Jettons were hammered but sadly it's not silver. Still looking for that one.

Enjoy the pics.

Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Excellent digs Scott!!

I see the 2500 is working out for you really well!! So does your swingin arm look like Popeye's yet? image

Please report back if you find out anything about your finds.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks John. I love that 2500. What an awesome machine. I will post back here when I find something out on these items. Maybe DinoUK will come along and chime in and tell us what I have here. As far as my Popeye arm, I just put the 12.5 coil back on the other day and man is it deep. I had been using the stock coil for most of my hunts, but this field that I am on isn't too trashy (not as bad as some of the other ones anyway) and I'm covering more ground. I could definitely tell when I put it back on though.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    You suck...a lot!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a page on those Nuremberg jetons.

Splendid work! It certainly does look like you've completed half of your "homework assignment", and I'd have to give you an "A"! image

(When he first got his detector I told him he had to find a Roman coin and a hammered silver medieval coin, since he's in the UK.)

Got more pics of that ancient bronze? I can't make out much detail on it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LM,

Thanks for the link. I have looked at some other sites but hadn't seen this page. The jetton that I found is from this guy here: HANS KRAUWINCKEL master 1562, died 1586 . One of my detecting buddies happened to stop by the field and he and his son joined in on the fun. As soon as I showed it to him, he told me exactly what it was. About 25-30 minutes after finding the Jetton, I found the roman. The coin is heavy for it's size (about that of a half dollar, but probably twice as thick) One of the guys on the other site said it is probably a sestertius (I don't have a clue as to what time frame he was from)

I don't have anymore pics of the bronze roman at this time, but I will get some taken that hopefully can provide a little more detail (very little detail visible with the naked eye) soon and get them posted.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that there were two Hans Krauwinckels. Your piece could also be from "HANNS KRAUWINCKEL II master 1586, died 1635".

Some of these Krauwinckel jetons were actually found in archaeological digs at Jamestown and/or Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, and are mentioned in Ivor Noel Hume's Artifacts of Colonial America.

I sure wish I was on that side of the pond, to dig up such fascinating finds with you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.