Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1875-S/CC Trade Dollar, are there two varieties?

On the 1875-S/CC Trade Dollar,

Breen states in his Encyclopedia, page 468 that there are two reverse varieties of the
1875 S/CC, he shows a picture of one

Others have also said there are two varieties, but I have only seen pictures of one,

Has anyone seen a second variety?

Kevin
kevinj50@comcast.net
Kevin J Flynn

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin,

Look in the Heritage Silverman catalog - Mr. Silverman had 2 reverses of the S/CC in his collection. Or, wait for TDN and Keoj to wake up and give you more information than your head can absorb!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, if you believe Breen, there are three different varieties. The 'second' variety that he describes has the C clear and bold and to the left of the S. I have never seen such an example. The 'common' and accepted variety has the entire C readily visible but mostly effaced to the right of the S. The 'third' variety was just recently brought on the scene in the Silverman sale and has a tiny lump to the left of the S. My personal opinion is that IF this variety is a true S/CC that examples are worth MUCH less than the accepted variety. Why pay for an S/CC when you can't tell it's such with your naked eye?

To back this up, I will tell you that there are MANY 1942 dimes which have traces of an effaced 1 under the 2. Why should these coins be called a 1942/1 [they technically are] when they aren't the accepted variety?
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The primary variety with the 'C' easily visible to the right of the primary 'S' mint mark is shown below along with the secondary variety that depicts the 'lump' to the left of the 'S' mint mark referred to by Tradedollarnut. Other diagnostics include the large die crack running through TRA of TRADE.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    Here's mine:

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Kevin:

As usual, I'm with TDN on this one......

There might be three different S/CC varieties:
    - The 1st one that Greg was so kind to include where the c remnant is to the right (as you look at it). This is most obvious one and I have noted that there is an early die state (no cracks) and late die state (with cracks) like TDN's magnificent coin.
    - The 2nd variety shown be Greg as well where the c is to the left of the S. There is one for sale in the upcoming Heritage FUN sale in 63 (Platinum Night). They have a very nice write up and reference several other coins. The highest known for this one is a MS65 coin last seen in a NGC holder.
    - The 3rd variety is also noted by TDN below. Actually there is a good write up on this one in Bowers' Silver Dollar enclyclopedia. I'll look it up tonight and post an addendum. I kind of remember it different than what Breen said but I have never seen an example of this coin either and, as is the case with other Breen assessments, it might not be real.

I'll offer an opinion as well. I'm not a big fan of the 2nd variety either. Too hard to tell what it is.

keoj
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Thanks

I read through Bower's Silver dollar book,
    Dave said that he never saw it, but included the letter of someone who
    claimed they saw it in 1974 and which had two Cs to the right of the S.
    I have never heard of this or seen photos of it.

On the new S/CC in the heritage auction where there is metal to the
    left of the S. This is to small to be the remnants of a C. Even comparing
    it to the CC of the dime, quarter, and half dollar, all are larger.

It would be nice to get some close up photos of this to do overlays.

Even if you strike lightly and only get the remnants of the top of the C mintmark,
    it might look a little smaller, but this 40% the size of the S mintmark.

In my opinion it is not the remnants of a C.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    In my opinion it is not the remnants of a C.

I made this same comment to NGC when the coin first came up for auction. They requested the coin from Heritage for closer viewing. After examination, they told me it definitely was, but they changed the FS number on the holder to reflect that it's a different variety than the normal accepted overmintmark.
  • Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    As an additional note, PCGS also holders this 2nd variety as well. Like I said, I'm not a big fan. There are many others that are much more obvious....like a 77 DDO, or a 77-S/S.

keoj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file